Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #261
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender

Ohh and what are you using for a transfer case?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #262
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks Nate, Photobucket has been giving me fits lately!!! I think they are all back now. It will not let me load photos into my build folders.
Put your Gullwing sliders in the mail today, let us know how they work out!
Waiting to hear if Pete would like me to send him a set?
Ernie
Yes, they screw up sometimes and were really a pita about 7-8 months ago, my right side up uploaded pics couldn't be rotated and saved (they rotated them back somehow) After reading all their help FAQ, I had to send several emails and really push them to get a work-around and seems fiinally fixed.

Thanks, can't wait to mount them up and go out for test crawl! They look great, Pete will prolly want a set too!
Nate
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
Ohh and what are you using for a transfer case?

Hey Chris, I will pull out the interior and get a few photos for you. Sorry for the missing pics!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #264
I wanna be Dave

The motor forward mount is a GCM mount made for the ascender, and the transfer case is rc4wd.
Ernie
Old 11-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #265
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The motor forward mount is a GCM mount made for the ascender, and the transfer case is rc4wd.
Ernie
Any reason you went with the rc4wd vs the gcm transfer case? Also looks like the gcm forward MM raises the height of the motor, its hard to tell in pictures how much, compared with the stock location. Do you think it affects stability or is it negligible?
Quote:
Ernie

Old 11-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Any reason you went with the rc4wd vs the gcm transfer case? Also looks like the gcm forward MM raises the height of the motor, its hard to tell in pictures how much, compared with the stock location. Do you think it affects stability or is it negligible?

I wanted to use MIP drive shafts, and the out put shaft location on the GMC case made the drive shafts short. The RC4WD case is wider at the out put shafts. (Hope that makes sense to you) I have since bought longer shafts for the GCM case, but I had spent time shimming the other case so I left it for now. Yea, the motor is higher than I would like to see it, but that is the trade off for the motor forward out of the way of interior.
Ernie
Old 11-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #267
I wanna be Dave

I told Nate that I would share the jig I made for holding the slider parts while I tack them together, so thought I would share with everyone. I wanted something that has some adjustability for different size sliders.

A little adjustment to slider width that Nate and I talked about. They still need to be cleaned up.

Ok so now a question for all of you, Nate and I discussed the need for RULR (rear link riser) that is incorporated with the Gullwing Sliders. What do you think, would it be handy? Let me know what you think! I don't want to offer them if you don't think they are needed.
Ernie
Old 11-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #268
Rock Crawler

Yes they r needed on any of the ascenders i personally like rulr over the swaybar i also mounted mine toward the front i like the look of it more and tire barely hits

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #269
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a great idea to me. In my opinion link risers are a must, so why not incorporate them into the sliders. And while I'm at it I'll offer my services and test the proto types for you.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #270
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Sounds like a great idea to me. In my opinion link risers are a must, so why not incorporate them into the sliders. And while I'm at it I'll offer my services and test the proto types for you.
Thanks for the input Jon, and if and when, you will get the first set. (He beat you to it Pete)! Drilling all those holes will be the pits. That is the part that has the wheels turning!
Ernie
Old 11-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #271
Rock Crawler

If you could only see the grin on my face right now
Old 11-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #272
Rock Crawler

P.S. Good luck with all those holes. One of my Ascender's has a pair of risers I threw together and I only drilled a single hole lol. Figured if things ever change I'd drill another hole.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #273
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
P.S. Good luck with all those holes. One of my Ascender's has a pair of risers I threw together and I only drilled a single hole lol. Figured if things ever change I'd drill another hole.
Thanks for the input Jon!
Ernie
Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I told Nate that I would share the jig I made for holding the slider parts while I tack them together, so thought I would share with everyone. I wanted something that has some adjustability for different size sliders.

A little adjustment to slider width that Nate and I talked about. They still need to be cleaned up.

Ok so now a question for all of you, Nate and I discussed the need for RULR (rear link riser) that is incorporated with the Gullwing Sliders. What do you think, would it be handy? Let me know what you think! I don't want to offer them if you don't think they are needed.
Ernie
Nice jig Ernie, thanks for showing us all how they get done. Using items on hand to build jig, very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete959 View Post
Yes they r needed on any of the ascenders i personally like rulr over the swaybar
LIFE IS GOOD
That's kinda what I was thinking, better RULR with good setup than swaybar.

Quote:
Thanks for the input Jon, and if and when, you will get the first set. (He beat you to it Pete)! Drilling all those holes will be the pits. That is the part that has the wheels turning!
Ernie
Dangit, I gotta check the webs earlier in the morning! Hehehe

Quote:
Old 12-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #275
Quarry Creeper

I had a thought the other day when I was thinking about my RULRs. If any of you are familiar with an eccentric mtn bike bottom bracket I was thinking about something similar. It would allow for a piece to rotate that would have the mount at atached off center which would alow for quite a lot of adjustment.

Name:  2016-12-01 16.02.46.png
Views: 576
Size:  61.0 KB
Kinda hard to explain...but maybe you get the idea. Probably easier to just drill a bunch of holes...but easy isn't always the best!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #276
I wanna be Dave

EBB type of setup is a possible solution, but little complex, prolly just drill three or four holes that are "best" in general.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I had a thought the other day when I was thinking about my RULRs. If any of you are familiar with an eccentric mtn bike bottom bracket I was thinking about something similar. It would allow for a piece to rotate that would have the mount at atached off center which would alow for quite a lot of adjustment.

Attachment 351905
Kinda hard to explain...but maybe you get the idea. Probably easier to just drill a bunch of holes...but easy isn't always the best!

Hey Chris, thanks for the input and your Idea. After working on the separate rulr I made before this idea popped up. I think 2 vertical rows of three holes should be more than enough adjustment for the links. But keep your ideas coming.
Ernie
Old 12-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #278
Quarry Creeper

I just need to figure out a way to make it...I have limited machining tools ie. Hack saw, drill and dremel tool...

Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #279
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I just need to figure out a way to make it...I have limited machining tools ie. Hack saw, drill and dremel tool...

You can come work in my shop anytime!
Ernie
Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 AM   #280
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You can come work in my shop anytime!
Ernie
Didn't I read you are in oregon?? I did like it out there when we drove across the country...and Rainier is on my list of to-do's....

Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bulldog/Mattzilla "Mountain Buggy" Bulldog 2.2 Scale Rigs 88 03-30-2016 07:59 AM
"Rhino" 1/9 Nissan Patrol 4x4 Y60 1997 build with Vaterra Ascender K5 clarketian 1.9 Scale Rigs 25 03-15-2016 05:36 AM
"My Bulldog Berg build" bigron EnRoute Berg 61 02-05-2014 07:59 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM