Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: I kinda got another Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I kinda got another Ascender

While at Crawl-a-palooza I accidently bought a used RTR K5. Body was rough, but I just happened to have two Ascender Bronco bodies at home waiting for the right chassis to call home. Not to mention that during the door prize give away and some horse trading of the free goodies I also accidently ended up with a set of RC3WD 1.55 wheels Now, I am pretty fair at taking my 12+ inch wheelbased crawlers about anywhere I want, but short wheel base rigs always leave me frustrated, until now. This little guy isn't exactly finished, but far enough along for a trial run. I can't believe how it crawls! I really wish I'd bought an Ascender way before now, but at least I finally caught onto these awesome crawlers. Now this makes 2 class 1 Ascenders in the stable. I'm thinking a class 2 will be in my future too.
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I kinda got another Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
While at Crawl-a-palooza I accidently bought a used RTR K5. Body was rough, but I just happened to have two Ascender Bronco bodies at home waiting for the right chassis to call home. Not to mention that during the door prize give away and some horse trading of the free goodies I also accidently ended up with a set of RC3WD 1.55 wheels Now, I am pretty fair at taking my 12+ inch wheelbased crawlers about anywhere I want, but short wheel base rigs always leave me frustrated, until now. This little guy isn't exactly finished, but far enough along for a trial run. I can't believe how it crawls! I really wish I'd bought an Ascender way before now, but at least I finally caught onto these awesome crawlers. Now this makes 2 class 1 Ascenders in the stable. I'm thinking a class 2 will be in my future too.
I can see a set of axles for Jon in the future!!! Should be home in a week and a half.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I can see a set of axles for Jon in the future!!! Should be home in a week and a half.
Ernie
You read my mind
Old 10-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Slapped together a pair of low thrill bumpers today for ,stumpy.
While I was at it, Ernie's axle found it's new home. Please excuse the silver sharpied c-hubs. I think the previous owner had a sharpie fetish
And those diff covers
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2016, 04:16 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Love,my sharpies! Those 5 slots look so awesome onthe ascenders
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Love,my sharpies! Those 5 slots look so awesome onthe ascenders
I have done my share of sharpie-ing but never for hubs or bumpers like this thing had been done when I brought it home. I love those wheels too! They were a door prize at Crawl-a-palooza this year.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Nice prize! I always wanted a set for my 1:1 71 monte carlo when I was a kid back in the 80's. Now I actually can afford a set for my scaler lol
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Took Stumpy to the KCRC home base today, and what a great crawler. I was very surprised and so were all the SCX10II drivers. I'm all alone in a sea of Axial's and I'm loving it.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Took Stumpy to the KCRC home base today, and what a great crawler. I was very surprised and so were all the SCX10II drivers. I'm all alone in a sea of Axial's and I'm loving it.
Hey Jon, looking good. Those wheels really fit that rig!. Do you still have the Codyboy Design axle on the front? I started shortening and drilling housings today I will post when I have them ready, maybe some time toward the end of the week. I'm starting with 8 sets for now.
Ernie
Old 11-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hey Jon, looking good. Those wheels really fit that rig!. Do you still have the Codyboy Design axle on the front? I started shortening and drilling housings today I will post when I have them ready, maybe some time toward the end of the week. I'm starting with 8 sets for now.
Ernie
Thanks, Ernie. I'm loving the wheels and everything else about this little guy. And the front axle is in place and I'm lovin it
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Took Stumpy out for a day full of crawling at Goat Hill RC off road park today (the KCRC home base) I'm liking this crazy little thing more every time I run it. The short wheel base does take a little more thought when approaching stair stepped and steep up hills, but with a little finesse This short little fat guy can hang with the SCX10II's without a problem, and all while wearing the smallest set of shoes on the local rocks Added many more scratches and bent the front bumper as well, but it just adds character. Took most of the fleet along today and this one ended up doing 90% of the running
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you're having to much fun with Stumpy there Jon! Very cool. Seems that there isn't much interest in rulr/ sliders, it may be just you and me and Nate that think they would work. I will probably start posting up my new build next week.
Ernie
Old 12-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looks like you're having to much fun with Stumpy there Jon! Very cool. Seems that there isn't much interest in rulr/ sliders, it may be just you and me and Nate that think they would work. I will probably start posting up my new build next week.
Ernie
Well, the sliders are one of the best ideas I've seen for a while and if you make a few sets I'm ready to buy a pair. After Christmas, that is lol. Stumpy is waiting on a good set of sliders and I'm holding off in hopes of a set of CODYBOY's Looking forward to your next build. Bet it's gonna be a good one!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, the sliders are one of the best ideas I've seen for a while and if you make a few sets I'm ready to buy a pair. After Christmas, that is lol. Stumpy is waiting on a good set of sliders and I'm holding off in hopes of a set of CODYBOY's Looking forward to your next build. Bet it's gonna be a good one!!!
Mister usps lost a set of axles I sent rags, so I worked on another set for him today. I have a set of sliders that you could test on stumpy, they are made to fit a K10 body so I don't know how they will work. They are my last set of testers. PM me your mailing address. You can try these until I design the rulr/sliders.
Ernie
Old 12-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ernie
I love the RULR sliders idea, can't wait to see your new build!

John, dangit little red Bronco on 1.55s, looks great love it!

Last edited by Natedog; 12-03-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:49 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I love the RULR sliders idea, can't wait to see your new build!

John, dangit little red Bronco on 1.55s, looks great love it!
Thanks, Nate. The little feller is a big hit with the local guy's. Someone always comments on how they like it and how well it performs. I think he's got a few of the guy's thinking about getting an Ascender
Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Mister usps lost a set of axles I sent rags, so I worked on another set for him today. I have a set of sliders that you could test on stumpy, they are made to fit a K10 body so I don't know how they will work. They are my last set of testers. PM me your mailing address. You can try these until I design the rulr/sliders.
Ernie
That sucks about the axles, Ernie I'm sending you my address right now
Old 05-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Haven't given an update on Stumpy since December, so it's much overdue.
Other than battle scars he's pretty much the same lil Bronco. I've been experimenting with tire/wheel combos and as of this morning I'm giving a set of BFG's on a set of one off wheels a friend made a try. He's also now sporting a set of Codyboy slider/link risers, Beef patties and a old RC3WD bumper I found in a junk box that had been chopped on more than once. Stumpy has turned into my go to rig and even though I was once scared of a 10 1/2" wheel base, I've finally mastered the technique of a shorter rig (open myself up with that one) and I love it. Last picture is a hint of what my next winters build is going to be, and yes it will be on an Ascender
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Gremlin? Lol rims look super. Must be pretty cool to have 1 of a kind rims
Old 05-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Gremlin? Lol rims look super. Must be pretty cool to have 1 of a kind rims
It is pretty cool in my mind. This is the second set of one off wheels I've bought. And I always get a good deal on them. Maybe I'm missing something lol

As for the Gremlin, it took me two years to find this stupid body! I hope I don't screw it up.

Last edited by Jeepiac; 05-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.

I kinda got another Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
I'm kinda new Jamis17 Newbie General 10 07-29-2010 05:22 PM
Robb's Kinda Droop/Kinda Scale TLT Robb Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 12-06-2007 08:39 PM