Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: The German Bronco aka UNIMOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The German Bronco aka UNIMOG

Family vacation week on the coast, brought lots of toys to keep myself busy. Have had the mog and the blazer out a lot this week, been fun driving them both side by side. The mog takes a little more planning and finesse but is still very capable! Couple pics of the mog on the coast for your entertainment. As you can see tire foams are probably on the short list, along with a better steering servo, still running stock.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Got back from vacation and did a little maintenence, found that all the grub screws were either loose or only finger tight, cant figure out how the truck was even driving, but im thinking thats where the funny squeek was comming from. The stock servo is still alive...but has a lot of wiggle, i expect that will need replacing very soon especially with the new stiffetr foams i just put in...speaking of which... I ordered up new foams while on vacation, those came today (with a free spare, thanks CI!!!)had to do a little trimming as the mudplugger tires are fairly narrow. I went with the duece's wild 3007 foams. After trimming one whole Ridge off one side and 1/2 off the other I think the width is pretty good, i put them in so the 1/2 Ridge is on the outside so I get the most side hill support. As you can see in the pics they are wayyyy better than last week on the rock. (The pic of the 2 tires together is the stock foam on left and new foam on right)
Cheers!

Old 08-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Got a chance to get out today, new foams are way more stable, although grip may have been decreased slightly with the stiffer foam, but it's worth it I think for better predictability. I think I need some rock sliders, it seems to get hung fairly often in the mid section of the truck, so I need to look into that. Still have a squeeky bearing somewhere, so a new bearing set is in the future, and the servo is about ready to kick the bucket. Plenty to do between this and the blazer here's a couple pics of today's outing, there is a little waterfall 2 miles up the rd so me and the little one took a walk while mom was out.
Cheers!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Finally got both rigs outfitted with my new low profile skid that I designed along with upper link mounts. It's all in my other thread ( Ascender on its way) now that that's done, the 2 trucks are going to part ways, next up for this is a forward motor mount followed by an interior (I think). I figure I can design and print my forward Motor Mounts pretty easy. My plan is to roll the transmission up about 180 to keep the motor as low as possible. That's as far as I've gotten. Stay tuned. Cheers.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
Finally got both rigs outfitted with my new low profile skid that I designed along with upper link mounts. It's all in my other thread ( Ascender on its way) now that that's done, the 2 trucks are going to part ways, next up for this is a forward motor mount followed by an interior (I think). I figure I can design and print my forward Motor Mounts pretty easy. My plan is to roll the transmission up about 180 to keep the motor as low as possible. That's as far as I've gotten. Stay tuned. Cheers.

Nice meeting you and your trucks did great today. Here's a few pictures to help give you ideas on a low motor mount set up. Might not want to go this low because you'll need the offset front diff to clear motor but you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:24 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for those. I'll certainly be borrowing some of your ideas. Has anyone ever used any of the cheap planetary transmissions before? They are all over ebay. One of those would help to streamline things for a front MM. I'll also be needing a transfer case, I'd like to get one that allows me to overdrive the front so any suggestions there would be great, I know Ben used the one out of Itali, any other suggestions?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Been a while since the mog has had any love...fired up the plastic printer and finally replaced that God awful front body mount I had on there.... I must have been drinking when I came up with that....I'm still using magnets but they will be behind the front grill now instead of up under the hood.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

love the mog body on it. ive been cutting my mog body to fit my K10 also. I think I just like creating more work for myself.
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:38 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs10man View Post
love the mog body on it. ive been cutting my mog body to fit my K10 also. I think I just like creating more work for myself.
I seem to have the same disease!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

New body mount is wayyyy better, much more secure. Next I need a rear bumper and want to print a rear bumper/hinge combo that way I can just flip the lid up. My goal is to try and replicate an actual mog rear bumper/taillights... which may take me a minute, I'm not exactly proficient with 3D design software...

Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Love the 'mog...
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

The German Bronco aka UNIMOG - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebay- Monster Garage Bronco... mike Chit Chat 9 08-19-2005 11:11 PM