Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: MIP ..... Twin Hammers Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: MIP ..... Twin Hammers Thread

Something needs to happen soon... I am tired of buying stock CV's. My front isn't even "spooled" or fully locked and I am still breaking pins. The passenger side broke Tuesday while playing in the rock pile.

Am I the only one who would be happy with stock style cv's and drive cups made from a high quality steel? Even being as small as they are, I'm sure MIP's version would last a lot longer. Seems better than waiting who knows how long for a redesigned front suspension....
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #82
Rock Stacker

Are you guys breaking pins with the stock motor and ESC or is it from something more powerful?
turboed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboed13b View Post
Are you guys breaking pins with the stock motor and ESC or is it from something more powerful?
I'm wondering about this too. I'm running HH35turn and an fxr right now with no problems so far, but will probably change to sensored 13.5 when I get an esc. If I switch to brushless I don't want to start breaking stuff...
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboed13b View Post
My first broken pin was the drivers side while running MMP and the stock motor on 3S. I made two pins out of some cheap hex keys while waiting on new axles, those also broke... All while running in grass and dirt.

This past Tuesday, my passenger side broke for the first time while running the MMP, a Tekin 13.5t, and 3S. Was playing in the rock pile this time. It broke while spinning the wheels up a ledge. Must have gotten stressed from something else because it didn't get bound up during the break.

My front diff is filled with a mixture of the factory grease and JB weld so it doesn't stay fully locked while turning fast, it will also slip on the rocks when in a bind.

I DID, however, run it on the asphalt in a relatives neighborhood 3S/MMP/Stock motor about a month ago which could have had something to do with the original pins breaking (read - I am a dumbass). Even then, the JB weld diff was not acting as a spool, and nothing broke while hooning around on the asphalt.

The first one didn't give out until about a week after the asphalt adventure.

I'm still not sure why the CV pins keep breaking, all of this and my original hex pins and dogbone ears are still trucking right along.

EDIT - I just made an order with Gunnar for some pins. I came up with 1/16" x 11mm for the pin size. I know mixing metric and standard measurements isn't the "right way" but I made sure that a 1/16" drill bit fit, and I couldn't get an accurate standard length measurement on a ruler. I will see how they fit once they arrive and will report it back here. I'm sure they'll hold up but now I'll have to watch for sheared dogbone ears.

Last edited by SStone; 04-04-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #85

I am a lurker on the Wraith forums but just picked up a Twin Hammers to bash around with a 13.5/RS Pro and it is a blast...until the third battery and the rear diff is shredded...been trying to find upgraded diff/rear end parts and can't find much. Fun buggy..."brushless ready...?" DOH!
FlogginHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogginHarvey View Post
I am a lurker on the Wraith forums but just picked up a Twin Hammers to bash around with a 13.5/RS Pro and it is a blast...until the third battery and the rear diff is shredded...been trying to find upgraded diff/rear end parts and can't find much. Fun buggy..."brushless ready...?" DOH!
Check the set screws on the pinion end of the driveshaft. They tend to be a tad loose from the factory. When mine came loose I initially though my rear ring and pinion gears failed but the driveshaft was just loose.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #87

Anyone have a clue on when these are going to be on sale ?? Only the mip axles on the scx10 are almost the same size as stock and i'm wondering weather to just get a set of them with a friend .. Failing that there is some singles on eBay i might take a chance on
mydoddy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
What would be ideal is if you guys or rpm made some lower arms that are 1/4" or so longer and also have a bit more clearance for the driveshafts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStone View Post
Something needs to happen soon... I am tired of buying stock CV's. My front isn't even "spooled" or fully locked and I am still breaking pins. The passenger side broke Tuesday while playing in the rock pile.

Seems better than waiting who knows how long for a redesigned front suspension....

I'd be more than happy to make a billet lower arm +1/4" or whatever. We already have a a basic design locked and loaded... just no demand at the moment.

Last edited by Blue Monkey RC; 04-09-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Blue Monkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monkey RC View Post
I'd be more than happy to make a billet lower arm +1/4" or whatever. We already have a a basic design locked and loaded... just no demand at the moment.
Thats a killer idea. I would be interested in a pair! Have you guys looked into what pair of cvd that would work?
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would take a set so count as part of demand. I would rather stick with plastic but a matching set of your front & rear arms would look cool. Could you make them as light as possible and make them look as scale as possible? Maybe MIP already makes some bones for something that would already fit if the arms were a bit longer?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Maybe MIP already makes some bones for something that would already fit if the arms were a bit longer?
if this was the case i would already have the arms mass produced and up for sale.
Blue Monkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
if this was the case i would already have the arms mass produced and up for sale.
Thats encouraging! MIP matt how about it? Hpi mini trophy truck or blitz, sc10 fronts or?? I i am just guessing I'd like something 1/4 - 3/8 wider. My sc10 rears look like they are about 3/4 wider, a bit too much maybe.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #93
Rock Stacker

Today I edited these MIP

rockclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Please report how those work out!!
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #95
Rock Stacker

all welding brazing

Last edited by rockclimber; 04-14-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Nice idea!
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

shut up and take my money
Frakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
Today I edited these MIP

This is Hella Awesome!!!! I will report to both Eustace and Brandon. I noticed that those front spindles/carriers are different. Are those the same dimensions as the stock ones?

Also for clearance did you flip around the captured turnbuckles for it to clear?
How are they working?
Any clearance issues with stock parts?

Also the rear shaft is almost done for the Vaterra Twin Hammers . I believe its coming back from black oxide now!

Last edited by MIP MATT; 04-14-2013 at 11:34 PM.
MIP MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

I see that he had to put some of those eccentric rodends (from axial?), so it could clear the rest of the stuff.

Come on MIP, if a man in a shed, in Italy, did it, so can you!!
;)

Great work rockclimber!!
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #100
Rock Stacker

thanks!

Hubs are stock, just the alu ones.
i didn't reversed the turnbuckles, but i used an axial offset uniball.

Mip works just as stock, maybe a little more working angle, i just ahd to grind some plastic from the lower arms.

MIP ..... Twin Hammers Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet Another Twin Hammers Tin Soldier Vaterra Twin Hammers 12 02-19-2014 07:47 AM
twin hammers zim35 Scale Comp Rules 264 05-19-2013 09:54 PM
Twin Hammers Rock Concepts Videos! 4 01-31-2013 02:50 PM