Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Need help setting up servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need help setting up servo

Hey guys so I'm on my vacation in Canada right now with only one hobby shop, which is an hour away. I killed my stock shift servo within a week of owning the car up here, so I tried putting in a brand new Hitec 225MG. I couldn't figure out a proper way to set up the linkage and somehow my shift servo fried on me(the Hitec) so now I'm out of options. I'm going to hopefully go and pick up a Traxxas mini servo for now, temporarily as that's all the shop has but how have you guys set up the linkage to the transmission? The horn on the stock servo linkage faces down but my Hitec was sideways and I'm sure the Traxxas will be the same. If you guys could help out that would be great! I'm having tons of fun with this truck but sadly I've experienced the infamous shift servo failure.

Thanks!
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need help setting up servo

I'm still running stock servos in 2 of mine and the other has a broken servo that I got with the truck. I think that the "infamous failure" that you are talking about is all about user setting end points on the radio. There is a sticky post on how to set up the servo. I would recommend fallowing closely. The stock radio uses knobs to adjust end points. So if you set the radio down and it falls over or put it in a bag when not using it, I think it is very easy to turn the knobs and mess up the end points with out knowing. Then bam. Next time you use the truck it fries the servo.
Others have modified the servo for a bigger servo or servo saver. But I really think it is just a band aid for poor endpoint adjustment. I do run flysky gt3b radios so as I have digital endpoint adjustment that does not get messed with like the stock. I would recommend that kind of upgrade way before the modified shift servo linkage.
Just my 2 cents.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:41 AM   #3

Default Re: Need help setting up servo

Another thing I noticed while building the car was that the ball cup end on the gear cover side is actually rubbing the cover, creating a drag. I sanded down the ball cup a but, and now it completely clears it. The shifting action is much smoother now, and less stress on the shifting servo. Some may not have experienced this, but I suggest everyone to check theirs.
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote

Need help setting up servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting shift servo? Crutch RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 07-14-2014 08:15 PM
setting your c's TheWheelman EnRoute Berg 8 06-20-2013 03:09 PM
setting up for g6 n zonkerd Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 02-12-2013 10:00 AM
FXR Calibration and setting radio end point for steering servo Scottp Newbie General 2 01-05-2013 06:59 PM