Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Electronics

Notices

Thread: Updated March 15, 2012: Higher Voltage Winch Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Updated March 15, 2012: Higher Voltage Winch Controller

Good Evening Al,
I have one of your HV Winch controllers, and it has been outstanding, no complaints at all. I have just upgraded my radio to the Futaba 4PLS, so I have two questions.

First, is the controller digital or analog? I have two ways to set up this new radio, "standard" for all servos, or "high speed" for digital servos only.

The second question is I plan on running the winch controller of a CC BEC now as well as my Savox servo. I've read that Futaba systems like to have the NEG. from the BEC split so it goes to the receiver and the servo. Do you recommend this for your controller also?

Thanks for your time and keep on coming through with these great products!

Len
Helicopter Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Hi Len,
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
First, is the controller digital or analog? I have two ways to set up this new radio, "standard" for all servos, or "high speed" for digital servos only.
The controller is digital. Due to the way it works inside, I don't expect that it would behave differently if you were to select one other transmission mode over the other.

Quote:
The second question is I plan on running the winch controller of a CC BEC now as well as my Savox servo. I've read that Futaba systems like to have the NEG. from the BEC split so it goes to the receiver and the servo. Do you recommend this for your controller also?
Either way should work fine. If you don't run the "split", the path to power supply negative will be through the servo plug and the terminals in the receiver and it's circuit board. Under super high loads, this could put extra noise onto the ground bus inside the receiver and maybe cause problems there. In reality, I don't think you could reach those levels, but if you want to be extra safe, do what they recommend.

Happy New Year!
Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Heyok, I bought a HV controller over a year ago from LockedUp rc and FINALLY got around to using it. Its on a 3racing winch. I ran it off of a 4AA reciever pack And everything worked great. However, I wired it up to an almost fully charged 2s lipo (read 8.26v) and did a split ground between receiver and lipo. Signal and ground from rx and power and ground off a lipo with a cc bec at 6v to reciever. And it got very hot. I double checked wiring , and repeated with the same results. I pulled the ground from rx plug and same thing. I put it back on 6v but it only winched in not out and soon got very hot again. Any clue whats going on? Also is it possible to test if i got a hv controller or not? The bag it came in says HV, max 2s voltage, and OK for split power supply.
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Al! Especially for the quick response! Got it all wired up as I explained. Works wonderfully!
I hope the new year brings you lots of positive growth in all you have going on.
Thanks again for the super support!
Len

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Helicopter Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
Heyok, I bought a HV controller over a year ago from LockedUp rc and FINALLY got around to using it. Its on a 3racing winch. I ran it off of a 4AA reciever pack And everything worked great. However, I wired it up to an almost fully charged 2s lipo (read 8.26v) and did a split ground between receiver and lipo. Signal and ground from rx and power and ground off a lipo with a cc bec at 6v to reciever. And it got very hot. I double checked wiring , and repeated with the same results. I pulled the ground from rx plug and same thing. I put it back on 6v but it only winched in not out and soon got very hot again. Any clue whats going on? Also is it possible to test if i got a hv controller or not? The bag it came in says HV, max 2s voltage, and OK for split power supply.
Send me a PM when you have a moment and I will help you.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

hey al, have been using your controlers for a while now with no issues. anyways i just got a hv contoller from locked up and am running it straight to rx that is powered by a mmp. just got it all together and while opperating the winch i lose esc function and the whole truck will stutter and jump once in a while during winch operation. going to check esc bec voltage shortly, any help would be appreciated
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I will help you. Sending you a PM.