Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market

Notices

Thread: There’s something new on the horizon………………

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Lovin' it Kevin!!! My jaw dropped at the first sight of it!! Sweet!

I've been wondering when we might all get to see some new developments with the 'ol Lightstick rig... now we have....

So, have you found a way to make a tranny fit onto it somewhere? I don't think my Maxx axles will work with it

Very sweet.... very sweet.... hope to see it in action some day.

Damn... I have to go look at the pictures again
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #82
The Wheels Keep Turning

If all goes well i will be competing with it on sunday. Watch out!

toyo, and everyone else, thank you very much for the compliments. Not sure if a shaftie could be adapted to this design, but it may be possible.

Working on the electronics right now. should have pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by kevinlongisland; 02-02-2005 at 10:16 PM.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #83
R.I.P. Chip

You ever take it off any sweet jumps?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Holy cow! That thing is crazy. I never though any thing like that could be possible.

I see what 4rnr(guy who did "Wtf") was talking about with axle sway. The spot where you mount the top link (stick?) is offset from the center of the axle, so when it rotates it shifts to the side.

I can see a modified chassie that would work with a shaftie tranny, but it would kill the low cg/high break over angle/and complete narrowness, though. I just don't see how it could be adapted effectivly to shafties, but then again I didn't come up with it in the first place.
egdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #85
The Wheels Keep Turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
You ever take it off any sweet jumps?
Jumps! That’s one thing this design won't do well!

For all you demanding types, i worked on it for a couple hours tonight to get the electronics on it.

Overall Layout:

Front End:

Receiver Mount:

ESC Mount:

Back end:

Battery Mount:

Profile view:
Old 02-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

I think it was a joke, but thanks for more awesome shots!!
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #87
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlongisland
Jumps! That’s one thing this design won't do well!
Ever seen Napolean Dynamite? I'm guessing not, it was a line in the movie, I was just joking around.

That thing it looking real sweet, maybe I missed it, but whats the clearance under the belly?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #88
2006 2.2 National Champ

Thumbs up

That is sweet, the last pic says it all. Will a standard stick pack fit on that battery mount w/ out hitting tires? I'm not ready for li-po's.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Kevin thanks for the reply... and hopefully the understanding that I was NOT calling you out as a copycat, I was just curious if I had any influence in the deisgn, which its obvious now that I know I didn't.....

So props for you going outside the box and producing a chassis that will be for sale shortly..... and Props for me for thinking along the same lines even though I never seen it or heard of it........

So now hopefully that is behind us in this post.....

Your 'light stick' design does look like its cured most of the problem I was talking about, but not all of it. and I hope I can explain this. also maybe its the angle of the photos, I don't know. but let me know if it actually does what I'm seeing.

take these pictures....

And look at the foot print of them flexed, pay particular attention to the driver side front tire in relation to the center line of the vehicle......

On your tradition design crawler (top picture), as the passenger front tire flexes up, it appears to do just that, it goes up and toward the center of the vehicle thus keeping the front driver side tire pretty much directly inline with the driver side rear tire.

But on the "light stick" design as the passenger front tire flexes up(maybe rotate is a better word), it appears to pull the front driver side tire toward the passenger side, thus misaligning it from the driver side rear tire.

I hope that makes sense in what I'm tring to say....... Its really hard to see since the rear tires are not straight forward and camera angles really tweak the perspective view.

That is what I'm refering to by sway, maybe its roll center, I don't know.....But in the designs I've tried so far, it makes it really hard to control since as you flex onto a obsticle, the vehicle wants to drive around it, instead of go over it becasue the rear tires no longer point at the obsticle......Does your do that? or am I just seeing something that is not there.....
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #90
The Wheels Keep Turning

never saw the movie. that one went right over my head.

hey bender. i must have read your mind. i was getting info on non-lipoly packs. roktoy had mentioned running smaller capacity packs for comps because you don't need 3300mAh. We were guessing somewhere around 1200 mAh is all that’s needed for a comp stage. So for those that don't want to run Lipoly packs, there are a bunch of NiMh and NiCd options here that will fit the Extreme battery plate. Your standard packs will stick off the end of the battery mount.

http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/packs...sion_id=255311

Center ground clearance is 5 inches. CG is probably at 3 inches.

Rick, I think I know what you are talking about and it’s barely noticeable on my truck. I just compared my Extreme to the Mach1 and the Extreme may pull the tire towards center a little bit more, but barely. Overall, the axles articulate in a similar fashion. On a standard 4 link, the axle rotates about the center link mount. The only real difference is the lower link geometry.

Last edited by kevinlongisland; 02-02-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:05 AM   #91
Ace
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=kevinlongisland]Overall, the axles articulate in a similar fashion. On a standard 4 link, the axle rotates about the center link mount [QUOTE]

True, but on a 4 link the center link mount usually moves up during articulation, thus the swing out will be a little less.

BUT, the real question is what difference does it make? Unless the truck tries to drive under itself...
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
BUT, the real question is what difference does it make? Unless the truck tries to drive under itself...
Thats one problem I've found with my early designs, so I was curious on how this does....... to me it looks like its alot would do it alot less than mine - which is a good thing!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #93
Rock Stacker

Kevin , very neat design truck mate and thanks for giving me props for the servo mount design.
I would suggest a couple of things ,with that servo mount design i bend the upper steering link so that it moves around the screw on the axle case , this keeps the links close to the diff but doesnt hit the casing.
What if you came up with a swinging battery mount that swings off your main chassis.? bar..?Link..? thing..? that way if someone wanted one but didnt have those little batterys they can mount there normal cells.I have been thinking of something similar so it would compensate for body roll by leaning the battery the opposite way.You may have to figure out your own way of doing it.
Just a friendly suggestion so that you can sell more rigs rather than just to guys like diggler with heaps of money and can buy new cells all the time.
Well done.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #94
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Rick.....I think you're talking about roll center.

On a double triangulated 4-link like most people run, the roll center (vertically) is somewhere between the upper and lower links.

On Kevins design it is much higher so you do see the more pronounced "axle swing" as you describe.

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Jay - I think your right about the 'roll center' terminology. Ideally from what I've read and seen in 1:1's are people talk about a high flat roll center with a low CG and this design does give that to you...... and does make for a real stable ride but I think I've found in my tinkering you can go to far.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #96
Dirt Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbks5
For anyone in doubt Kevin's new chassis just plain kicks ass!!! I'm not saying this because we crawl together either.
'Cause he kicked your ass today (and mine too).......

Jay
Old 02-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

Yeah, the extreme can make even a newbie feel like a pro.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

So what's the name? The "light stick"?? I vote for the Walking Stick, like the bug, which looks just like it:

Its an incredible design. I had some thoughts like it, but not quite the same. I agree, thinking outside the box is a must, and that is one helluva innovative design. Still, I think it will have to be a very narrow playing field for unlimited vehicles like that. When it comes to shafts, the design won't work as well (or even work at all for that matter). Great job and the thought process that went into it is very admirable.

My biggest of KUDO's to you!
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #99
Dirt Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
So what's the name?
It's called the TCS Extreme Competition Crawler......

Jay
Old 02-07-2005, 08:27 AM   #100
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
When it comes to shafts, the design won't work as well (or even work at all for that matter)

you could get that design to work with a shafty ;)
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote