Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Venom Durability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Venom Durability

Hey I was looking at getting the creeper when it first came out but did not get it because of parts breakage. I just want to know if these parts have been fixed like the axles which I know where breaking. Well thanks for your time.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

all is fixed, the drive shafts are shit outta the box no matter what, best upgrade wile building.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #3

go to the pro creeper thread

drive shaft are ok
need to replace the c hub
Im running one and have only had one problem and that was the c braeking but the pin backout and broke the c
widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #4

yeah give the factory drive shafts the shaft and get after market ones the original drive shafts cant take any torque
OU812_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

A bit of newbie reality here.
The hardware and indeed the whole kit is fine. Not excellent but fine.
The durability is great and I am happy so far.
This is a RC land vehicle that is made to take a certain amount of stress and impact and for me has lived up to those design parameters so far.

Deffo heatshrink the cvd's during the build. The tires can do with a bit of cutting or replacing but other than that go for it.
I did
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

I have had my first creeper for a while now and was originally going to buy something different, Axial, or Losi but after the way my creeper held up and how easily it upgraded, I bought another one instead. Almost nothing left of my body from rock damage, but I have only broken one c due to pin coming loose in my CVD, now my CVDs are welded and I havent broken anything since. For the money you simply cant beat the Venom
joe dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have HAMMERED on my creeper and it keeps asking for more. The only thing I am starting to deal with is the nylon carrier deteriorating where the 3 pins for the locking collar engage. I did not like the way the instructions had you placing one set screw on the yolks for the driveshafts and axles, so I bought a crapload of new set screws from mcmastercarr, and I have two set screws in every joint torqued down as far as I can get it to go before I think i'm gonna strip stuff, with threadlock to keep them from backing out.

Its really a good truck, I haven't had any of the common breakage people talk about and Ive seriously been trying to get some.
"N8" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

No issues except one bearing let go on the c-hub.
Riksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #9

hey im in boise and use a creeper if you want to check it out just email me at vurtrider@cableone.net.
i love it by the way!
vurtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #10

Strength wise they are great, the only issues the damn pins coming out, even with lock-tite, shrink wrap everything as you build it. as for the cvd breaking thats because when the pin backs out it hits the cvd and if you just hit the gas somethings going to give right?
drnodrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Durability..... I vote for NO.
Dont get me wrong here performance wise this VC are same like any other rig on the market but the Quality and toughness of this product are very poor... and i mean really really poor.
dr_rookie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I abuse mine and it's bullet proof so far.

My favorite thing is running it across the grass and my dogs will chase it. When they get close I throw it in full reverse and the pups will put the brakes on and run away as I chase them in reverse.

That's running 3S and Tekin 55t motor on stock drivetrain (except for Traxxas drive shafts).

Haven't had a single thing break yet.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I just ordered one today from RPP.

Knowing what line to take on a course is very important because each rig will have their own strengths and weaknesses. Ask a Pro level driver, they will tell you to learn your rig and know what your rig can do and cannot do.

Quality should be on par with other brand and aftermarket parts will strengthen your rig even more. Don't fix what's not broken and upgrade to a better part when the original breaks.
EvoKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKin View Post
I just ordered one today from RPP.

Knowing what line to take on a course is very important because each rig will have their own strengths and weaknesses. Ask a Pro level driver, they will tell you to learn your rig and know what your rig can do and cannot do.

Quality should be on par with other brand and aftermarket parts will strengthen your rig even more. Don't fix what's not broken and upgrade to a better part when the original breaks.
Can you please direct me where to get those aftermarket parts? Coz now i m looking for Aluminum C-HUB perhaps venom it self can provide us like what they do the parts for the axial...

Yes my AX,CR01 and other few take the same course/route without any problem only this rig give me this problem. Oh ya if you read most of the post here also asking about parts too..
dr_rookie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default Bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rookie7 View Post
Durability..... I vote for NO.
Dont get me wrong here performance wise this VC are same like any other rig on the market but the Quality and toughness of this product are very poor... and i mean really really poor.
Poor quality???? What are you talking about.the Creeper is just as tough as any Axial or for that matter most other cars.We all pound on ours super hard and rarely break.Of course you upgrade parts as you break them with better one as you do with any other kit.Look at pretty much anyones car on this forum and everyone is upgrading parts on every model Axials,Bergs Bullys etc.Get the Creepr its a super good kit for an affordable price that can kick ass on the rocks.If you set it up right and arent an idiot you can kill it with the Creeper.
Santa Cruz Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default Pin fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnodrno View Post
Strength wise they are great, the only issues the damn pins coming out, even with lock-tite, shrink wrap everything as you build it. as for the cvd breaking thats because when the pin backs out it hits the cvd and if you just hit the gas somethings going to give right?
Hey ,to fix the pins is an easy one.Get a stick of metal rod at your local hobbie shop for like $2.Take out the old pins.Cut one end of the rod and slide the uncut end thruogh the hole and clip it just slightly long.You willthen have a new pin that sticks out just slightly on both sides of the axle.Its important that both ends are cut.Take the axle and tap each end of the new pin with a hammer on a hard surface that will mushroom the clipped ends on each side of the axle .They will never come out again.We have done this with 3 Creepers with no problem.Also if you ever need to take the pin out you can just grind off one of the mushroomed ends with e dremel.Problem solved.Plus one metal rod will make dozens of pins for the future.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #17

The only things that I have broken on my Creeper were due to driver (me) error... yes the driveshafts suck ( replaced with Traxxas shafts and yokes ), the pins in the CVD's fall out ( shrink tube them ), I broke a lower link joint when the rear wheel got in a bind then the rig rolled and came tumbling down a ledge ( easy fix )..... The lockers I have never JB weld them or replaced what came out of the box ( the only thing I did was back the screw out on the axle that is next to the sliding switch, back it out just enough so that the head of it prevents the switch from sliding )

It's durable Don't let the bashers influence you.....
serveapurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Let me preface this by saying, I bash my stuff hard. The Creeper needs only a couple of cheap mods during the build that make it awesome. Just do what the guys here say and you'll have a bulletproof Creeper(that's what I did). It's best to do a couple of upgrades during the build. Here is what I did (based on others experience with the Creeper's weak points) and mine has yet to break. I added FLM lockers, 3racing CR-01 driveshafts and heat shrink the cvd pins. After that it's almost bulletproof and you can spend your time setting up the suspension to your liking rather than fixing broken parts. I let my 10 year old nephew drive mine. It holds up to him and trust me he doesn't understand what don't force it in a bind means. Hope this helps
gapjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

It probably has more to do with your motor/power combo. I'm rockin a 45t brushed motor with 7.4v NiMH. I just have the 3racing d-shafts and heat shrinked cvd's and I can stall the motor without breakage.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

It has nothing to do with the motor.The creeper will handle brushless motors and 11.1 lipo with no problem.Some people just like to wank on about stuff just to hear themselves wank.There was a guy on here the other day that said he broke 3 driveshafts just driving on flat ground ,Bullshit!!!!!! The problem isnt these kits its probably improper setup or put together wrong.I dumped mine off of a huge boulder pile the other day and it hit tons of rock on the way down,it hit hard enough to shatter the metal gears in my servo but broke not a single part on my Creeper.Tougher than a two dollar steak bro