Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: on the Creeper wagon,,,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #241
Pebble Pounder

I have to say this is one of the most detailed threads ive read, and i have read just about every post. This is a good thread because you dont have to break the bank, instead you us what you have.

After last nights read i have started a complete rebuild on my creeper.
Rock-Lockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #242
I wanna be Dave

R-L,,,thanks for the kind words. I try to be detailed when I post up. To me theres nothing worse then lots of eye candy then no idea of how it got that way. Without the whole sob story my life has been a University level education of diversification and fabrication.

Start a build thread if you havent already,,lets see the work in progress.------> Rock-Lockster's Rebuild
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #243
I wanna be Dave

Couple of tech notes....I received confirmation on the shipping of my HD CVD's. I worked a trade out over the weekend that earned me a set of Moab XL's and Axial 40 series Beadlocks. The Super Creeper is in the works. I also went out this evening and bought some M4 set screws, an M4 tap and a #30 drill bit so I can drill and tap my Traxxas Steel Yokes for M4 set screws. The M4 set screws use a 2mm driver instead of the 1.5mm driver that an M3 set screw uses...should be able to get thing a bit tighter that way. I personally dont use Loctite on my drive shaft set screws. I want the drive shafts to be easily removed if I have to rebuild an axle at a comp. PLus,,Ive stripped out the hex socket on about 4 of the M3 set screws. I was thinkin about the whole fast rebuild thing and thought of a way to make the axles about a 1 minute job to replace if I have a prebuilt axle standing by...there wont be any bolt and nuts holding the links and shocks on the axles. Ill post up when I get more done on it.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #244
Rock Stacker

Ummm...excuse me, but I can read your threads just fine from here.
HwnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #245
Rock Stacker

Bah...ok...now I know what you are referring to, that dude in Tncrawler's build thread.

Went and checked the members list since he mustve deleted his post.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #246
I wanna be Dave

The question about steering throw has been raised a bit lately and part of that is the use of the right horn. Mine is custom using a iece of the Stock Creeper chassis plate to make an extension.

The standard aluminum horn I run is 13/16" from the servo horn screw to the outer link hole,,I made a custom extension that makes it 1 1/8" and it gives me all the throw I need. It works just fine with my DS 8711 servo too. But it would be too much for a lesser servo like a 645 size.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #247
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwnElf View Post
Ummm...excuse me, but I can read your threads just fine from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HwnElf View Post
Bah...ok...now I know what you are referring to, that dude in Tncrawler's build thread.

Went and checked the members list since he mustve deleted his post.
huh,,you lost me bro,,,are you talkin about my posts in TNC's thread?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #248
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
R-L,,,thanks for the kind words. I try to be detailed when I post up. To me theres nothing worse then lots of eye candy then no idea of how it got that way. Without the whole sob story my life has been a University level education of diversification and fabrication.

Start a build thread if you havent already,,lets see the work in progress.------> Rock-Lockster's Rebuild
Im going to buy a gold star thing soon so i can post my pics, but ive already got a lot finished.

Oh by the way i use klein tools every day, there the best.
Rock-Lockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #249
I wanna be Dave

R-L,,,Thanks man.

I made a slight change to the VC since I am running right now with stock CVD's and the limitations of the Right front long shaft i had limited the steering a bit to save the CVD. Since the steering is limited I decided to also remove the G-MADE Wheel Wideners. The VC is now back to stock track width. Im also kind of wondering if the added stress of te wideners added to the carnage that resulted in the cvd breaking.

Still waiting for the Vulture chassis prototypes to be done...delay after delay...but soon hopefully

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 08-25-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #250
RCC Addict

looking for opinions i am thinking about changing the chassis over to a slingshot with traxxas shocks and losi springs ?

sorry not trying to hijack your thread rm
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #251
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post

I wanna take a moment and Thank everyone who stops by and looks at this thread and the other stuff Ive pposted and for your comments and that Ill do my best to keep going forward with the info and tech both here and in my T&T thread. As it turns out though,,,,it looks like my T&T thread isnt working or visible for people to read in Honolulu. I wonder if the search function works there?
Oh...my bad...shouldve quoted your earlier post.

Kinda figured out you were referring to 'Runninonmt', think that was his name.

Always find your threads very informative RMDW.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #252
I wanna be Dave

The little red white and blue truck dropped of a package of HD CVD's from CKRC today. Ill get them in and let you all know what the real difference is between them and the stockers. All I know is they better last compared to the stockers,,Im not easy on my rig and I dont plan on changing my driving style just cuz there's sparklies in there.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #253
Rock Crawler

Im running the rc4wd cvd's and they work awsome I have not had any problems at all I have read that some of the ckrc cvd's have broke but I think its all in the driver.
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #254
I wanna be Dave

Default Creeper steering once more.....

After building my Creeper to begin with I loved my VC's steering angles,,,right up there with Bergs. But finding the limitations of the CVD long shafts I limited the steering to save the CVD's. I got my CKRC HD CVD's in yesterday and installed them tonight and took some pics of the differences.

The wrist pin is definitely bigger but only by mil's. There is a defnite difference between the stocker's angles and the HD's. The HD's have a much deeper pin throat and the knuckle bottoms out way befor ete HD CVD's do.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #255
Quarry Creeper

all i say is best of luck with them

(i did go to reply this morning but my connection died before i could submit it and i aint typing all that again)
perfictsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #256
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfictsib View Post
all i say is best of luck with them

(i did go to reply this morning but my connection died before i could submit it and i aint typing all that again)
I take it you had issues with the HD cvd's? WIthout all the typing can you narrow down your reply into what happened?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #257
Quarry Creeper

sure in short
i bought the ckrc cvds when they first came out
i had to file the pin slots so they had the same amount movement on each side of the ball and debur them so moved smoothly with out binding they lasted about two months before the balls shattered,
since then i have fitted standard cvds and steering stops so it cant over stress the pins as its unable to get full lock even when being forced by hand they are a bit sloppy now but they still work

i want to try the rc4wd ones to see what they are like

Last edited by perfictsib; 08-28-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: forgot somthing
perfictsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #258
I wanna be Dave

Well heres my thoughts,,,my stock set from the first day lasted about 3 1/2 months, these are advertised as being better than stock so they need to last at least that long if not 5-6 months based on the wording in the ad on CKRC. My stuff is well documented and if they fail prematurely then CKRC will be receiving a request for replacement or refund for the HD cvd's. I had originally wanted the ones from RC4WD but they are always out of stock...maybe one day.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #259
No idea what I'm doing

Hey Thomas,

The pin does look bigger, but what about the rest of the measurements? If everything else is the same, does that mean material was taken away to make room for the pins? Or is everything else bigger too? It's hard to tell from the pictures which is which until you show the steering angle.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #260
I wanna be Dave

Juan,,sorry guys,,in the pics the HD cvd's are always on top of the pics. Without a digital micrometer its hard to see where material might have been sacrificed,,however if a better steel at a better Rockwell rating is used then the same amount of material or even a bit less would,,or at least should be stronger. The HD's I got are Red Loctited from CKRC and I didnt want to break them apart. The allen drive set screw in the HD's requires a slightly smaller Allen driver then 1.5mm too. My hand driver wouldnt fit into the set screws. There are some very slight differences between the HD's and stockers that you CAN see, such as the threaded area of the stub axle and the shoulder area where the outer bearing seats,,,and the tube bearing shoulder on the main shaft is also slightly different. The biggest difference I saw was the slot or throat that the pin pivots in is definitely deeper on the HD's. The coloration of both HD shafts are the same unlike the stockers.

Im gonna hope for the best.