Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: on the Creeper wagon,,,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
If it crawls in competition as well as it tested out I may very well be switching pro rigs from Bully to Creeper...
wow, I thought most people went in the other direction...creeper to bully.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Thomas.. Glad you got it running this week.. Saw that you had some issues. I got a spare CC BEC if you need to borrow it and I also have a 45t Novak motor you can borrow to, if you want..

Look forward to seeing it this weekend.. Even though I converted the chassis over to an Axial, I thought the creeper was a great crawler. The only things I had issue with were the size of the tranny/chassis and the amount of articulation. It was just way too much for me.. I had to limited the shocks a bunch to get rid of that.. Torque twist was also not a big problem for me after playing with the shocks.. But on steep climbs, it would flop on it's back way too easy.. It seemed like I had to run a lot more weight than I thought it needed in the front to help out with that some. The Axial FF-4 chassis from CHUD is what cured that problem for me.. Now I can run much lighter, which has helped the side hilling too...

Look froward to seeing you this weekend.. I'll bring the parts with just in case you want to borrow them..
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
wow, I thought most people went in the other direction...creeper to bully.
Until some parts arrive and I can get some issues worked out with the Bully rig it will sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwrangler08 View Post
Thomas.. Glad you got it running this week.. Saw that you had some issues. I got a spare CC BEC if you need to borrow it and I also have a 45t Novak motor you can borrow to, if you want..

Look forward to seeing it this weekend.. Even though I converted the chassis over to an Axial, I thought the creeper was a great crawler. The only things I had issue with were the size of the tranny/chassis and the amount of articulation. It was just way too much for me.. I had to limited the shocks a bunch to get rid of that.. Torque twist was also not a big problem for me after playing with the shocks.. But on steep climbs, it would flop on it's back way too easy.. It seemed like I had to run a lot more weight than I thought it needed in the front to help out with that some. The Axial FF-4 chassis from CHUD is what cured that problem for me.. Now I can run much lighter, which has helped the side hilling too...

Look froward to seeing you this weekend.. I'll bring the parts with just in case you want to borrow them..
Thanks Ron,,,i think I got it pretty well worked out,,maiden voyage at this coming comp. Tested it for a little bit on the Rock Pile at HTW after work Friday when I went to pick up my DX3E and a new CC BEC and Castle link. I also converted the Creeper to 3S with my Rooster ESC. The DX3E is all programmed and it is working good. The DS 8711 loves the new volts from the BEC and the Creeper has some nice wheel speed. See you at the comp...thanks again for the help and parts and parts offer.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Ive made some minor changes to the Creeper. I comp'd with it today for the first time,,third time wheeling it and it actually did well I think. The comp wound up being stopped before everyone could run due to rain so we all get a second chance at the scores we earned today,,in my case thats a good thing. I found the Creeper wasnt heavy enough in the front. It side hilled pretty well but I have changed the shock set up for better running up hill and side hill. I relocated the shocks to the front and rear outer most/upper most hole in the chassis. It has better down angle on the shocks now, more tunable. I also figured out how to get the 3S pack onto the front upper links between the servo and the motor with a velcro strap. I ran in the comp with the pack on the rear upper links and now that weight is up front. I am relocating the esc to the side of the tranny and reconfiguring all the electronics to accomidate the battery and esc.

I did suffer a bit of carnage too...I snapped the ears off of one outer drive shaft on one course and then on the last course I snapped one of the plastic yokes at the front axle. Which,,,,both are better then snapping axle shafts or stripping gears.

I need to get this thing on a scale.....It is light! Ill get some pics of the new set up and post them soon.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 04-17-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Default Flexible forward skid

Ive had an idea for a while now about having a flexible skid between the chassis skid plate and the front axle for shafty rigs to fight against rocks getting stuck in the links and against the leading edge of the chassis skid. I finally figured out the material to use and have made a mock up unit to try out before i make it in the ideal material Im thinkin about....Pics,,,,

The material I chose for the mock up is vinyl roofing material (roof memebrane) it is very heavy duty and durable and very similar in flexability to the nylon material I have in mind for the finished unit. It doesnt hinder the articulation or squat characteristics of the rig.

First mock up the area to cover with masking tape,,

Then find the center lines on the material,,

Then transfer the rough dimensions and simplify them on the material,,

Then cut out the material to fit and trim where necessary,,

For the mock up and test unit I just attached it with 4 zipties....if it works like I hope it will I will cut out added mounting tabs on the finished unit.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 04-18-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Default My current set up changes

After the comp yesterday I knew there some changes coming. I found that I could move my 2S or 3s to the front upper links behind the servo since the servo sits up at an angle. It is held in by a velcro strap and velcro on the pack and the strap wraps around the links at the axle where they mount. I rewired the esc to rereoute the wires and also move the bec and the Novak Smart Stop lipo cut off to the top of the tranny. got all the wires tucked and tied and the servo wire is sheilded from the links, springs and rocks. I relocated the shocks front and rear the link mount on the axle and then the chassis at the outer most hole at both ends. The links moved to the outside of the axle mount and I just turned the links to allow for steering,,works great. The DX3E works flawlessly so far and is as friendly to operate and program as the Novak gear onboard. If this set up works as well as it went together then it should yield some good results on the rocks too.

Pics,,,

Old 04-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Default New flex-skid works

I took the Creeper over the LHS where we crawl and I drove it for a couple of hours and it seemed the the FLEX SKID was working very well. I wasnt hanging on much of anything. So, now Ill need to get the main material I want for this and make a working unit.

Pics

Old 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I trimmed the FLEX SKID a bit,,it was rubbing the tires,,much better now. I got my new shocks in from RPP (thanks guys) Ill get those on tonight as well as a second set of steel Traxxas yokes and a set of Traxxas shafts front and rear. I shouldnt have to worry about popping drive shafts every comp.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

That flexable skid plate looks pretty good. Let us know how it works on the rocks. looks like it would of helped me get outta some hang ups for sure!

Good deal!
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I already did some testing with it and it worked well,,the new unit should be done soon and Ill get some pics and hopefully some video of it on the rocks showing how it performs...
Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

My weekend was tied up with work and family stuff so the crawler never got on the rocks for some testing..I wanna get out tomorrow after work if the weather holds...Im anxious to see how the Losi shocks do. I also siped my front tires and I wanna see how they do.

I am thinking about cutting a taller set of foams to firm up the tires a bit too. Ill think about that more after I see what the rig does now with the way it is.

Ill also be testing the FLEX SKID more so I used a Sharpie marker to color the entire surface of the skid so I can see where its really working,,,as it rubs and scrapes over the rocks it will make marks through the marker and show me if it really is working.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 04-25-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Losi shocks tested out well,,just some on course tuning to do now,,,the VC settles so much better and is seemingly very predictable. Im likin it. The skid worked well too,,Ill get some pics of the skid showing the wear marks
Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I finished up the design for my new Creeper chassis,,workin on a name for it but it is much better than stock for adjustability of upper links and shocks,,it will work with the stock tranny/skid or an Axial tranny/skid.

I havent decided whether I want it in Delrin or 6061 Aluminum. Probably Aluminum.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Default VC update

I made some lock outs for the rear axle from some nylon tubing. works great. Ill get better pics tomorrow in the sun light on some rocks,,,it only took a few minutes and saves a ton of cash.

the rear axle with lock outs installed using the stock knuckles and c-hubs.

this is how the skid looks after running over some rocks,,you can clearly see that it works and takes the abuse that the skid plate or links would be taking

this is the latest body,,I'm thinkin a JConcepts Rock Steady Single Cab though

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 05-01-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Default VC UPDATE #2 for today

One thing Ive been concerned about is popping the springs off their perches at the axle end of the shock so I drilled two holes in each perch and used brass wire to make spring locks. I also wanted to add weights to the front axle but didnt really have a spot to stick self adhesive stick weights on so I went to Gander Mountain and bought some 1/4" o.d. lead rope in the fishing section. I just uncoiled it and cut it to length to fit on the ends of the axle and ziptied them on, approximately 4 oz's per side.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Thomas,

Nice.. I like the idea of the spring retainer.. I'm currently running internal springs though...

I've used the lead rope from Gander mountain on the inside of my MRC's tires in the past.. 1 wrap = ~3oz on those.. It's pretty neat stuff...

Keep the ideas coming!! I won't be at next weeks comp, but I'll be waiting to hear the results....
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Ron, I think it will really help. I have made a deal for the Creeper Aluminum parts that Abavuso has in the F/S section and the lock outs will get changed but I wont change the C's and knuckles til something breaks.

Im also concidering putting my Bully 2's up in the F/S-F/T section,,Id trade them for a NIB Venom. Im just really liking this kit and I want the Bully Lightweight axles for my Bully comp rig anyway.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #38

Wow awesome build and testing information! Looks to be a pretty good rig.
0124vctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0124vctd View Post
Wow awesome build and testing information! Looks to be a pretty good rig.
Thanks man,,,its been fun.

I have a comp this weekend so we will see how the mods really work out.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Yesterday the postman delivered the parts I bought from Abavuso, Thanks Adam. I got the HR knuckles, c-hubs and rear lockouts..putting them on tonight and comp'ing them tomorrow,,We'll see how they do. So far,,I think I have all the weak points worked out. Ill be crossing my fingers as I pull the trigger on it.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 06-05-2010 at 08:53 PM.