Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: on the Creeper wagon,,,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

I made the new link,,Im waiting for pics to download now. I did use the 6061 Rod. I usually just cold bend 6061 T6 rod but this time the bends I was making were going to be much tighter and needed to be pretty close to perfect since it is my steering. I used a Propane torch to heat the rod and make it bend where I wanted it too on the spot. Now when bending heated metals in a vise like I was there is a thermal point between the vise and where you apply heat caused byt the heat sink properties of the vise metals. It wound up being that the T6 would bend at about 3/8" above the edge of the vise jaw so I could set my angles and lengths based on the thermal transfer point. The link came out great. I drilled 3 holes in the link for the knuckle screws and the pitman link from the servo. The knuckle mounting holes are spaceda 158mm apart and a little trial and error on marking I drilled the pitman link hole in the link and then had to shorten the rod ends a tad to get everything to line up.

Ill have pics in a few.

here ya go,,,,

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 06-08-2010 at 09:25 PM.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

I did a little tweakin on the VC. I made a short extension for the servo horn and gained a lot of steering, at least 5or 6 degrees. Now Im working on a winch down set up for the VC, but I cant decide whether or not I want to winch the whole chassis or just one axle. I think a complete chassis preload would be sick.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

looking awsome
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Default some pics

here are three pics of the front end after tweaking the steering,,and five pics from last weekends comp on the last course where I had trouble

Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #85
Pebble Pounder

does that steering really work out on the rocks. looks like there is alot of room for slop and sluggish response
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkool View Post
does that steering really work out on the rocks. looks like there is alot of room for slop and sluggish response
The steering does really work on the rocks,,there isnt any slop as I keep my rig tight,,,I check hardware constantly,,,,wheel nuts,,link and shock mounting hardware,,steering gear from the servo mounts to the drag link..the drag link is mounted by a screw on each side that goes through a thick washer then the link then another thick washer then the knuckle then then the nut,,,it doesnt wobble. The Ds8711 servo seems not to mind the added length on the horn or the link design which is real close to the design of link Ill be having machined soon to go along with the new servo plate for a complete front end steering set up.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

yea ive got the same servo and tried something just like that but always went back to almost the stock setup. it just didnt do what i wanted when i wanted it
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Well,,,this set up works really well so far,,I am stoked to see what the machined link will be like with the new plate and everything high and tight

I looked at you thread and saw how you have your servo,,I tear up servo arms that way when I comp...I had to have the servo backwards or at the very least have it backed way up so the arm was out of harms way.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 06-10-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

I have a tube of delrin on my steering link. It acts like a "rolling pin" on rocks. I just drive up to the obstacle and hit it. With enough power, the delrin tube rolls and i get over the bump. Post up a picture at a later time. to early now. (6:08am)
freemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Heres some more pics,,some close some showing full rig.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #91

which wide hex is on the front
is it traxxas
rcToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

I believe they are from CKRC,,,possibly TSC
Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #93

this one
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/2.2-Wheel...g-p-16233.html
rcToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

YES,,,those are the ones
Old 06-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

We had our Spring series final comp today and the Creeper did well at backing up my mods and my driving skills. We had about 12-15 people in the Sportsman class today and I wound up taking 5th which got me into the Top 5 and the finals. I took 5th which Im really ok with, I have only got about 6-7 hours drive time on my VC and taking 5th was a cool way of coming back from dead last and then middle of the pack of 24 drivers in the series. The courses were brutal as usual and holes and breakovers everywhere. I flubbed a couple times on 1 of 3 of the courses and flubbed a bit on the final course. Just need more drive time. I took 7th n the series and thats also with missing the first comp of the series.

Everything held up,,the chassis is very predictable and very easy to control...I cannot believe how easy it is to get it to settle when in a bad off camber. Having the rear links the way they are and having the shocks so soft made it easy as hell to get it up on a lip or drop a tire right where I wanted it.

Im stoked for the next series to start. Hopefully Ill have the new VC parts Ive designed installed and tuned and making a real run for a higher placement in the next series. I cant wait to hear what you guys think about the new bodiless chassis, BTA kits and Squat kits.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #96

nice job on your rig and very nice driving in your comp sounds like you have it dialed in.....keep up the good work i enjoy reading your threads you explain everything very well thanks
whskyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whskyrunner View Post
nice job on your rig and very nice driving in your comp sounds like you have it dialed in.....keep up the good work i enjoy reading your threads you explain everything very well thanks
Thanks

I try to write what I would want to see written,,,which is information. i hate going into a thread and it says "rig ran good,,,,,,,,,,,,,," or " I changed my link and they work better now,,,,"
Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #98
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Great job this weekend Tom! Rig performed awesome!
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Shon,,,it was sick to see it do some of the things I wanted it to do. Im still in awe of the steering this thing has.

Im still thinkin about a winch down for the front or rear axle.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

I made a trade the other day for some axles I had for some wheels I wanted,,,,I now have Aluminum wheels for the Creeper.... They are the CKRC Murdered Out wheels,,they have Gold Berg rings on them,,not crazy about the ring color but I can take care of that if it gets to me too bad. My Eritex wheels are going back on my Bully but then again I may keep them loose and mounted with some Blue Dot Rovers for differences on courses, or for different weight dispersion.

Ill get them mounted up and get some pics soon.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 06-24-2010 at 09:57 PM.