Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

View Poll Results: Do we need HD under/overdrive gears for the creeper
Yes 28 96.55%
No 1 3.45%
Who cares 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Poll, Who wants HD underdrive/overdrive gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Poll, Who wants HD underdrive/overdrive gears

Hey Guys, I sent an email to Jason Koneval at Venom and asked him if there was any chance of getting some rear hd underdrive gears, asked about the front too but I don't feel this is as big of a need atm as the rears but not out of the question after they produce the rears imo.
Here is the message Jason sent me in return

"Hello Kurt,
This is a great idea and I will pass this along to our R&D crew so this can be looked into.
Thank you for the suggestion, it is much appreciated!"

So I want to get your guys input on this and get a definative list going as to who wants them and what would be best, rear underdrive only, front overdrive only or both. Come on guys lets get this list going so I can take this back to Jason to show him how much interest there is in these and get this in the works asap"thumbsup

Last edited by kurtus; 12-11-2011 at 09:17 AM.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i dont own a creeper (personaly not a fan of venom products) but I would like to see the creeper axles stay competitive with axial axles.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I should clear the air for those that don't know what this does, I feel that the rear axle gets the most abuse trying to push the creeper around and because of this I find that a heavy duty rear underdrive gear would hold up great and slightly reduce the gear ratio at the rear axle make the front tires spin a little fast keeping the front end down better on a steep vertical climb. The front overdrive would just add another tuning option, say they sold out of rear underdrives then you could just get the front overdrive and accomplish the same thing or if you want extream change do both. Make sense?? Axial has this availible for the ax10 and I think it's time to bring the creeper to the next level and become the ultimate shafty axles, no other axle offers as much turning radius as the creeper axles and for that I only use venom axles for my builds and no longer use axial axles. If this was done I think there would be alot of sales and I think Jason over at Venom feels the same?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
i dont own a creeper (personaly not a fan of venom products) but I would like to see the creeper axles stay competitive with axial axles.
me too thats why I'm pushing this, This is the only thing that makes me think twice about using creeper axles, I see that they are now offering a steel locker for their axles so things are still happening over at the r&d department. Creeper axles plastic is a bit stonger than axials plastic too not to mention the awesome steering radius
Old 06-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

helps the performance im down
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
Axial has this availible for the ax10 and I think it's time to bring the creeper to the next level and become the ultimate shafty axles, no other axle offers as much turning radius as the creeper axles and for that I only use venom axles for my builds and no longer use axial axles.
you can get axial axles to turn like a creeper. you just gotta buy some super 300 axles. those are some awsome axles...just cost $$$. i would be interested in them. as im going to have my father try to retro-fit a axial underdrive to fit a creeper after he gets done making some other goodies for it.
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

No argument at all about OD/UD gear sets. It's one of the first things I do to every set of Axial axles I get. Ideally I'd like to see both OD and UD, but if they only do one I'd rather have OD. With OD front, you still get the benefit of driving the front faster. With FOFF becoming more popular, I'd like to be able to run OD front and rear for more wheelspeed. This is what I plan to do when I finally build a FOFF truck...OD front and rear, and it would be cool to do it with Creeper axles.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
No argument at all about OD/UD gear sets. It's one of the first things I do to every set of Axial axles I get. Ideally I'd like to see both OD and UD, but if they only do one I'd rather have OD. With OD front, you still get the benefit of driving the front faster. With FOFF becoming more popular, I'd like to be able to run OD front and rear for more wheelspeed. This is what I plan to do when I finally build a FOFF truck...OD front and rear, and it would be cool to do it with Creeper axles.
I didn't even think about that but I know these gears need to be beefed up for foff, a buddy blew the gear set up in the rear axle right away on 3s with a 3000kv brushless setup. I think you make a very valid point regarding the front od set, let's push for that in a heavy duty version. Add some rc4wd xvd's,venom steel lockers and you've got one nice setup
Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
RCC Addict

not the venom lockers, the RMDESIGNWORKS LINCOLN LOCKERS. they are stronger and made out of steel so u dont get sloop in the axles.
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
not the venom lockers, the RMDESIGNWORKS LINCOLN LOCKERS. they are stronger and made out of steel so u dont get sloop in the axles.
That works too
Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
RCC Addict

would love a set for either the front or the rear, does not really matter as long as it getts stronger. I really like my creeper axles and plan to run on my scaler on 6s so it would be nice to have them be beefier

Rc4wd came out with xvd's already i am not really liken them because i kept blowing up the pins in them
the new venom ones are really nice and smooth though and at 53 degrees of steering with no really expensive mods to get that much steering, who can beat that
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

dont know what happened to rc4wd xvds but my original xvds from them are still holding strong over a year old now with on problems

you have pin loxs on the new xvds ?
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
RCC Addict

188 views and only 21 votes??
Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I'd love a set but I just going to say......look at how long the Creeper has been out.....then look at when Venom finally got around to making a Locker
IceBox84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Well thats why I started this thread and Venom is watching it according to Jason, I have also relayed all this info back to him regarding the front overdrive as suggested that are the more important of the 2 for the foff guys and I heavily expressed that they need to be heavy duty as the stock gears will detonate with 3s hi kv power, i've seen it happen, they will also do the rear that way too as I told Jason this will be needed by us too just not as important as the front is. Jason assured me they are watching this thread and appreciates all the input . We need to speak up and make this happen as it is the weak link next to axial axles so lets make it happen guys......... VOTE UP AND EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Well heck ya, It's good to know a company like Venom takes the time to stay intouch with it's customers and takes input on our needs/wants

I'd really like to see some new hop up parts for the Creeper, HD od/ud gears would be sweet but you have to ask yourself what else inline is going to fail......maybe the plastic transmision gears. Anywho.....new hop-up parts please Venom!
IceBox84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo303d View Post
dont know what happened to rc4wd xvds but my original xvds from them are still holding strong over a year old now with on problems

Yep, every time.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBox84 View Post
Well heck ya, It's good to know a company like Venom takes the time to stay intouch with it's customers and takes input on our needs/wants

I'd really like to see some new hop up parts for the Creeper, HD od/ud gears would be sweet but you have to ask yourself what else inline is going to fail......maybe the plastic transmision gears. Anywho.....new hop-up parts please Venom!
I don't feel that the creeper gears "need" to be metal cause I've been running my creeper hard on 3s and have yet to kill them, the gear reduction in there seems to really stiffen the drivetrian up but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea, I just don't think I need them. However the transmission all together is too big and very limiting for chassis due to the attached skid. I would love to see this design changed all together because there is no support for digs other than the factory venom one, it is just a complicated system to build imo.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #19
RCC Addict

thats y just resently i went to a axial scx10 trans. alot smaller and eazyer to find places to put things.
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo303d View Post

i had pinlox on the stock ones and they were fine (the older stock ones) and then i go to xvd's and i start breaken the pins and screwing up the ball end of the shaft, but whats weird is that it was only the short side the long side was fine
but now i have cromally pins long and short side with xvd's but the short side, is one that broke so at like 50 degress and up in steering it is not that smooth so i think im going to go back to the stock one for the short side that i have (then new stock one) and its butter smooth
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote