Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: AutoX toy truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: AutoX toy truck

Yup the corner warbles are no fun.

I have more tuning and learning to do on this chassis. Some chick was riding my ass like I owed her money this am so when we got to the 270* cloverleaf on ramp I dumped it into 3rd and pinned it. All was well till it started under steering and I backed off the throttle. Instant over steer of course was the result. When the carb was screwed up the rpm's dropped slowly when I let off the throttle. Now that the butterflys actually close and I added another return spring that all changed. The damned thing may as well have a jake brake now.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Just a thought, but why not mount the sway to the chassis then link it to the axle? It would eliminate the muffler clamps on the axle and drop bracket from the current setup.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

It's mounted in the only way it'd fit while staying within class rules. I could do massive changes if I wanted to step up into a class I'd have absolutely no chance at being competitive in.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Would a set of stiffer 1/2 ton springs be legal?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

I can do whatever I want as long as the suspension uses all the stock mounting points. The stock torsion bars and front sway bar are pretty small since this is a base model truck. The 1 ton model torsion bars and sway bar are interchangeable but substantially larger. The 1 ton also has a large sway bar but it faces the back since most 1 tons were chassis cab or motorhomes with a long heavy tail. The 1 ton leaf springs are basically the same but the pack has a couple leaves added to it. I'm going to either find some older datsun leaves to mix in since they are flat or just buy some belltech drop leaves and be done with it.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #46
MODERATOR™

So much to still be slow.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I was only 6 seconds off the fastest cars pace with the old setup which was still way faster than most of the cars there so I'm ok with being slow.

I'm going to run this setup until the chassis isn't the limiting factor then swap to a short box standard cab tacoma. It's a better bast to start with since it has rack & pinion steering, front coilovers and nearly 150hp stock. I'd be money ahead to have started with a taco from the start but this truck was priced right and it'll be fun.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

There was a guy running an air cooled Bug in the New Orleans autoX's and catching a podium finish every now and again. He had it heavily 'OEM' modified with Porsche parts, though. It was fairly slow on the straits, but he didn't have to slow down much more for corners. Kinda neat seeing a Bug toting a rear tire going into a sharp turn then slightly carrying the front one on the way out.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

There are not bugs running around here but there was a kid in a 73ish toyota short box riding 4 bumpstops with no doors. That was about as hoopty as I've seen.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Swapped in a Carter P4070 electric pump and welded a few pinholes I found in the exhaust. Also found the ball coupler on the header wasn't seated correctly. Now it's crazy quiet cruising on the freeway.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Craigslist score!

38/38 progressive DGAS with jet assortment, pack of spare air filter clips etc. All for $125.

Just ordered a one piece adapter for it so I can swap the current 32/36 weber onto my red x cab.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #52
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
All for $125.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Cool thread WT. We auto x in Nevada and my friends 86 corolla will commonly destroy bmw and super sporty cars times. Subscribed :thumbsup:

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
CapnSwagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:

Yea I know it's not a honda, acura, miata, wrx, evo etc but I don't have that much money into it and I'm not worried about winning. I'm out there to have fun, not impress people I don't care about with the size of my car payment.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSwagga View Post
Cool thread WT. We auto x in Nevada and my friends 86 corolla will commonly destroy bmw and super sporty cars times. Subscribed :thumbsup:

Impossible! There is no possible way to be anything close to competitive unless you have spent at least $25G's buying the latest and greatest car, everyone knows that.

I'm enjoying myself for sure and that's what it's all about right?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #56
MODERATOR™

AutoXbro™

Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

EeePee seeing as you are concerned with my expenditures of late I'm not sure you'll like what else I ordered yesterday.

1 ton torsion bars and matching front sway bar and KYB monomax shocks. When the torsion bars show up I'll swap in the urethane bushings for the upper and lower arms. The truck is my dd so all these parts will make it even more fun to drive to work. The red truck is benefiting since it gets the hand me downs like the larger front sway bar and 32/36 weber.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Shocks are on. WOOT what a difference they make! Nice and snug ride without being "riding on the bumpstops" abusive as I've had rigs ride before.

Carb is on and running good. The throttle response off idle is awesome but it's a bit fat on the top end. Luckily I have the jets to fix that issue here in the near future.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Rejetted the carb the other day, soooo much better on the top end now.

Bigger torsion bars and sway bar came in yesterday. I didn't have time to get to my brothers place to use the lift so I just put them in the old fashioned way by laying on my back in the driveway. I forgot to order urethane bushings for the sway bar but I remembered vatozone had bushings in stock so I stopped by after work and grabbed them. 1" fit the bar perfectly and I picked up the shortest set sway bar links they had in stock which were still about 2 1/2" too long. I ended up taking the spacer pipe out completely and running the bushings & washers back to back which was the perfect length.

So I took it for a drive with the 1 ton parts installed and I must say HOLYFAWKINGSHIATILOVEIT! The combination of the larger bars spring rate matches the shocks perfectly. With the old bars the front was slightly spongy but now that is gone. I wasn't sure the added 2mm of sway bar diameter would make much difference but everything is much tighter now. Now sure if it's the thicker bar or the urethane bushings but daddy like.

I am soooo looking forward this weekends event, the truck is going to tear the place up.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I got 8 runs in today. My wife toughed out being awake for 30+ hours and got video of the first 4 runs before coming home to take a nap.

Followed up by the 4th run where I got a bit happy and looped it out. I figured fuggit as long as I'm looped may as well make it a show.

I wish the exhaust in the first of all the videos was my truck but it was a S2000 that I was consistently a second behind each run, never could catch that bastard!

8 more runs tomorrow. The truck is damned fun now and it'll only get better as I throw more cash at it.

AutoX toy truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old steel toy truck body ? smithgpz Paint and Body 15 09-22-2015 11:53 AM
Toy Truck Pulls Car Bukwylde Chit Chat 3 04-07-2013 06:54 PM
Toy truck on the rocks pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 5 01-19-2013 09:51 PM
we go play toy truck on 6/5 cutlaSS Hawaii 34 06-08-2010 10:51 AM
Need help, building scale/ toy truck trickedoutTLT06 Newbie General 14 06-27-2006 07:15 PM