Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > 1:1 Full Size Vehicles

Notices

Thread: AutoX toy truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: AutoX toy truck

We did 7 runs today and I have video of 5. Luckily my wife didn't get there in time to shoot the first 2 runs. They were an epic clusterfawk for me. For whatever reason I couldn't seem to figure out the course layout today. The first video is of my 3rd run with one of the main guys riding with me to make sure I followed the course from there on out. No problem, I didn't have a hiccup after more or less being shamed since I missed 2 gates the first run and a whopping 6 gates the second. My nephew got a hold of me last night asking what time to come watch. I told him if he was going to come out to bring his helmet and drive my junk. He had a blast but his fastest time was still slower than my slowest.

WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Work is finally slowing down a bit so I'll be able to get back to work on the truck soon. Need to tear the engine down for a head gasket and timing set install. The head gasket is holding compression fine but its bleeding oil from above the timing cover. Bought the wife an '05 scion xb last night so I get my 84 x cab back to play the DD role.

My license plates came in the other day.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

My order from Engnbldr came in last week and my LCE order came in today so I headed to my brothers and got to work.

Turns out I have a small cam in the truck too, it's a schneider 250-60f which is just a nice midrange cam. I'll retard it a few degrees to move the torque curve a bit higher into the rpm band. I ham fisted the pic but there is a metal backed timing set on top of the timing cover.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Truck is up and running again and better than ever. I have a few loose valves that need to be snugged up a touch but that'll wait until I build a cam stop so I can degree the cam properly. I also need to fatten up the main jetting a bit but I don't have the right jets on hand so that will have to wait for another day.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Have you ever thought aboot mounting some snow tires and going rally-x with it?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:54 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Have you ever thought aboot mounting some snow tires and going rally-x with it?
We don't get much if any snow near here to do it but with some weight in the bed it'd be a hoot for sure!

Picked up next seasons race tires.

My uncle runs a 67 Z/28 in a vintage trans-am series. He changes tires every few track days so he has piles of take offs. I grabbed enough today to run all next season. He says it'll take a few heats to get them up to temp but once warm I'll be set.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Just in case any of you are still interested in my truck I drive around parking lots here's an update.

I was having some slight wheel hop issues when hard on it in corners and the rear spring rate was a touch soft due to being a mono leaf with overload. So I switched to 1989 4x4 main and second leaf and used the overload from the 2x pack. I'm happy with it so far, I'll know more next weekend at the season opener.

One reason to do this swap was for a higher spring rate but being able to keep the same or slightly lower suspension height. The 4x springs have the eye in the middle of the leaf rather than above the main so swapping them let me use the second leaf without raising the truck. The second leaf is also full length and a military wrap so it'll hold up to lots of abuse. Here is the main eye obviously in droop on the lift.

I shortened the shackles right about 1/2". I didn't measure their length prior to cutting them but they are at 2 3/4" centers now.

And here's my current shackle angle. My driveline is perfectly straight to the trans from the diff with 3" blocks. I'm pretty fawkin' stoked at how it turned out.

It did drop the truck about 3/4" or so out back. I'll snap a pic in the light tomorrow of the new height for comparison.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Before:

After:

Not a huge difference but it should handle better.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #69
MODERATOR™

No cone marks, not trying hard enough!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I've found that my plan to leave it dirty has kept the cone marks at bay. When I munch one it just wipes the dirt off rather than leaving a mark. My plan is flawless.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
So much to still be slow.

Boxes start showing up today. 9 lb aluminum flywheel, 6 puck copper / ceramic clutch set, short shifter, msd HEI module with built in rev limiter, hawk carbon metalic brake pads and new rotors, red line mt 90 for the trans, adjustable proportioning valve so I can finally ditch the lspv on my rear brakes, shorty bumpstops for the rear of the truck, summit tach with gauges on its face and a shift light.

The tach is kinda cheesy but for the cost of it and the msd module I will have a full function ignition system coupled with my jacobs ultra coil for less than the cost of an msd 6al.

So yes peepee, I am spending a few bucks to still be slow but it will be getting faster on the track and it will put an even bigger grin on my face while I DD it.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Round one!

Round 2 is due Wednesday, the brake pads and rotors are being drop shipped and I haven't gotten an update on them as of yet. I'm going to be one busy guy here real soon.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

All the parts except the pads and rotors are in my possession. I got the clutch and short shifter installed tonight. HolyfawkingshitIloveit! Much quicker revs and a nice tight shift pattern. I'm looking forward to getting the ignition stuff in this week along with the adjustable brake proportioning valve so I can get the rears working like they should.

I seriously doubt I'll even attempt getting the brakes installed before this weekends events since they'll take some time to get broken in properly and that time is in very short supply these days.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 03-26-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #74
MODERATOR™

Blah blah blah, still in a truck being slow...
Old 03-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Blah blah blah, still in a truck being slow...
And I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Tach is in temporarily for now at least. When I have time in a few weeks I'll replace the gauge cluster with a plate that will house the tach and blinker indicators along with the high beam light.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Minor update since I finally had a few minutes to work on the truck.

I needed a heat sink for the msd HEI module. After a bunch of ideas I just couldn't go the same flat piece of aluminum I used on the 78 when I built it's ignition system...

It is an ignition amplifier right?

Ancient junk audio gear to the rescue! It's going to be mounted inside the cab so I'm not too worried about sealing it, rather I'm leaving it as open as can be so it'll breath and stay cool.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Fancy install under the dash.

I reused the stock wiring to the distributor and even the stock bracket to hold it onto the firewall. I even got fancy and used a couple of insulated adel clamps on the valvecover. It was a biotch to get the wiring through the grommet in the firewall but not shorting out my ignition will be worth the effort.

The remains of the inner fender is a busy place with too much crap but I really don't have many choices unless I redo pretty much everything in the area to move it.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Tossed more money at the truck so it sounds better even while being slow.

Picked up an LCE street header for $250 shipped. It was $400 new and it's ceramic coated stainless. It came with all the gaskets and the head pipe too so hooking it up to my current exhaust was easy.

It actually changed the over all tone of the exhaust surprisingly. I'm guessing it's the length of the runners or the fact that I no longer have a snail running up and over the torsion bar as I had with the old header. The LCE header collector is outside the torsion bar so it's a pretty straight shot back.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 AM   #80
MODERATOR™

Yeah, length. Cool.

AutoX toy truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old steel toy truck body ? smithgpz Paint and Body 15 09-22-2015 11:53 AM
Toy Truck Pulls Car Bukwylde Chit Chat 3 04-07-2013 06:54 PM
Toy truck on the rocks pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 5 01-19-2013 09:51 PM
we go play toy truck on 6/5 cutlaSS Hawaii 34 06-08-2010 10:51 AM
Need help, building scale/ toy truck trickedoutTLT06 Newbie General 14 06-27-2006 07:15 PM