Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1964 Chevrolet CrewCab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
RCC Addict

yea the hood will be the hardest part. i have been contemplating building one but i am no styrene master like some on here. that dropped c-10 is sweet. if i could build a 1/10 it would be something like that. i don't think i could beat on a crawler project that had that much work in it. once again good start
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Its gonna be a hectic week, so it will be slow on the build.

Trying to get the wood bed layed out

And what it looks like together, and I can see some things I still need to care of in the fenderwell dept.

bodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

You are doing one hell of a job!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

WOW, very impressive. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I keep seeing double vision with this truck one way i see it jacked way up with narrowed clods aka BIG ASS MUD TRUCK the other is a totaly stock look,i say build two and have the best of both worlds
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I need to see more of this! Waay too awesome.
fanke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

@ ROWDY RACING, Thank you, I needed to hear that

@ OGmicromonster, Thak you also, very much. I'm eager to see it done too, then I remember I have to do the work

@ muddbogger, interesting, sounds cool,but way too much work at the moment, but if I get this body close to correct, I guess I could build another one, eventually. Ya just never know, I have no mudders

@ fanke19, Thank you, well, I can get going this weekend, maybe sooner if I get with it.

Which leads me to the next update, I did some trading, and picked up a very long WB Diazz chassis. It needs a little modification I think, not sure just yet.

Now I just have to make some "U" bolts this weekend, so I can figure out where these Losi axles are going on this lovely frame.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I was going to suggest popsicle sticks for the wood bed since they are individual slats, but you could use one piece of wood and then put strips of plastic on top so that they look like individual strips.
karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Lookin good. Some nice work there. Where do you get the narrow plastic strips from? I got some of the same strips in a sale a while back from another member but he forgot where he got them. Been looking for the stuff every since and only can come up with what tower has.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

tons of progress since my last visit!! Take your time and this will turn out perect!!thanks for sharing...
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

@ karlos, Thank you for the idea, actually makes me think about another project, anyway, thats probably what I will do, use some small styrene strips to replicate the metal strips over the balsa.

@ spiderx, Thank you for those kind comments. As for the strips, I used to make my own, but no matter how hard I try, they are never straight cuts, so I just buy them from my LHS, they come in different thickness's and widths, and they are straight (can't think of the brand name at the moment)

@ rcjeepbuilder, Thank you very much. Thats the thing, time. You are so right. Better words were never spoken (typed ?)

I won't whine too much, but last week was a busy one, then I caught a summer cold, (grumpy as all hell I am)

Anyway, here goes, I mocked up the chassis with the shackles and perches that came with the chassis

As you can tell its not a perfect match, and if I intend to leaf the front axle I need some plates to move the leaf over, which in turn means I need to mount the shackles and perches on the inside of the rails.

Which creates a problem if I don't move them in closer to the pumpkin, the tires hit the leafs if I don't go in far enough. Its close but works so far, now to just make the u bolts for the front. The back u bolts are done

I cut off the built in leaf mounts on this frame and I'm going to use RC4WD shackles and perches, these are just too long for me. I tried putting the perches in front, but didn't like it that way , and the shackles look way too long, hanging out there.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

That's too cool dude! I can't believe you're finally using MRC axles.
Blazerbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Damn you have "NO" mud trucks im sorry you dont realize how much fun your missing out on hell my wife even wanted one after going to our first TTC
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

That'll be a blast to drive on trails!
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

thats gonna look sweet! how did you make that van cause it is cool also?
motostowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerbogger View Post
That's too cool dude! I can't believe you're finally using MRC axles.
Thank you Erik ,I knew I would use them eventually, and this seems to be the perfect build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbogger View Post
Damn you have "NO" mud trucks im sorry you dont realize how much fun your missing out on hell my wife even wanted one after going to our first TTC
Not really, I have been thinking of building one here lately. Besides my Clod Buster back in the 90's, this is the only one I have mudded lately. Does this count And its been awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOMHILUX View Post
That'll be a blast to drive on trails!
Thats kinda what I have been thinking also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motostowes View Post
thats gonna look sweet! how did you make that van cause it is cool also?
Thank you moto. Well, The Van build, not sure, looked at lots of photos and recieved a lot of comments, that helped me to shape it. plus lots of styrene cement, and plastic metal.

I ended up removing the built in leaf spring perches on the frame, And I think I have the WB sitting at 14 inches.

I still need to make some U bolts for the front axle and some C's to put out on the axle ends, so I will have a place to attach my shocks to the axles. As long as I use 80 mm shocks or shorter, I won't need any shock towers or hoops as some people call them.

I test fit a highlift transmission, but I believe now that I'm going to wait till payday and buy a tamiya semi 3- spd for it and some shocks

So, while I'm waiting for cash flow, I have to go back to the body. I did a little more last nite, what ya think

Almost perfect on the width ??

Seems like the closer I get, the further away I am to finishing this thing. Most of the greay putty will be sanded off, I just kinda slather it on, let it dry, sand it off, and the little voids are filled and bonded.

Disclaimer: The axles are upside down, but at least they both are.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Awesome!
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOMHILUX View Post
Awesome!
Thank you

I better catch you guys up a little. I get tired of sanding, so I stop and mess with some mock ups, to help me see how its looking in pics

I painted the chassis, don't really care for bling chassis.

Tried some 1.5 Dirt Grabbers, (kinda small, body needs to be lowered, not impossible, just don't want too )

So then I tried some 1.5 Rock Crusher's, its better..

I need to start thinking about bumpers, and so far everyone (almost )thinks big ole tube bumpers from long ago.

Any thoughts on the subjet ????
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Any bumper you put on will look good. Your doing a fantastic job. Wow, I'm amazed every time I check this out. Keep it up.
CRAWLERCRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Flatter springs or leaf under axle and dirt grabbers gets my vote.

My first thought on the chassis was that it's going to be mighty flexy that way, but then I guess there's the crossmember for the transfer case and/or the motor/transmission to stiffen things up.

But heck, so far so good! I'm digging it anyway.
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote