Thread: Tommy R's Boring Class 1 Street Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #281
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tommy R's Boring Class 1 Street Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Just build 2 class 1 trucks..
I thought about it, but don't have room in the hobby room for that many rigs! I need a Class 2 rig anyway so that'll be next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Hey Tommy, Put some 2.2 IRoks on it and run it is class 3, doh.

Seriously, I kept expecting to see you move this one on and build a new one and was always surprised to see it still going strong.

Hopefully the weather breaks here soon where I can work in my shop and finish my Hilux as I have a box of parts to build my Willys and another box of parts waiting on my TF2.
HA! Yeah, I've often thought about moving on from the Yota, but I'm trying to hold onto this one......though I'm not exactly sure why! It's in need of some updates, though. I currently have the interior ripped out. While it's apart I'm going to remove the side windows so condensation doesn't build up inside. I may also repaint it, but haven't decided yet...

I wonder if I can media blast the body without screwing it up? I'd like to get the paint off of it altogether.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #282
RCC Addict

you could always get you a Mojave body and paint it up.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #283
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
you could always get you a Mojave body and paint it up.
Yeah, that's probably what I should do. I hate that I put so much effort into building this body with the drop bed and now they're available off the shelf! Grrrrrr!!!! But maybe I should just sell this body and get a new/different one to replace it. I've considered going the route Justin did with his and making a flat bed. We'll see... Lots of decisions still to be made.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #284
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post

I wonder if I can media blast the body without screwing it up? I'd like to get the paint off of it altogether.
Easy Off.. removes paint and safe..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #285
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Easy Off.. removes paint and safe..
No kidding?? I may have to give it a try. I assume it'll eat through clearcoats, too? But it won't hurt the ABS? If so, that might be my answer.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #286
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, that's probably what I should do. I hate that I put so much effort into building this body with the drop bed and now they're available off the shelf! Grrrrrr!!!! But maybe I should just sell this body and get a new/different one to replace it. I've considered going the route Justin did with his and making a flat bed. We'll see... Lots of decisions still to be made.
Yep, thats the way I am with both of my Hiluxs, I will never touch the blues one, I won't even run it as it was made in tribute to my Brother-in-law. And I have way to many hours in the Red body with the full bed and separate cab, bed coating, etc. But I am anxious to get going on the FT2. I am still not sure what I will do differently other than my bumpers, maybe do a bob.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #287
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
D Other than not working on the hot rod enough,

Ding ding ding....winner winner chicken dinner......

It's all good holmes.....you get BACK on TRACK one of these days...
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #288
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post

Ding ding ding....winner winner chicken dinner......

It's all good holmes.....you get BACK on TRACK one of these days...
Amen, brother!!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #289
I wanna be Dave

Well, I've got a wee bit of an update for the Boring Toyota... I recently placed an order with Locked Up RC so I could try out some new goodies on the truck. I've had them for several weeks now, but have been busy racing and working on other projects, which means I haven't had much time for crawling. Well, some of the guys were getting together yesterday evening so I got the rig put together to run it...

New items are some RC4WD Mickey Thompson MTZs. Wow, these things are sticky and perform really well for a Class 1 tire. I mounted them up on some painted stock SCX10 wheels, but I used Locked Up RC's Trail Ready Inspired beadlock rings. I've always loved Trail Ready wheels so this was a no brainer for me!

I also pulled out my HH 13t Crawlmaster Pro because it'd stopped working last time I was playing in water. I pulled the brushes and they're nearly entirely gone! So that motor will need a bit of TLC before it goes into my next rig, but I was planning a motor swap anyway. So in its place went a new Tekin Pro Handwound 35t motor. After a quick update to my HH BR-XL, this thing has some of the best low speed resolution I've ever seen! And with 20/87 gearing, it's got pretty decent wheelspeed, too.

I'm in the process of making changes to the interior so I left it out for the run. I did put in the new windshield and this time I cut out the side windows. The enclosed cab caused too much fogging of the windows and you could never see the interior. I think this will work much better.

Anyway, on to the run! We had about 6 of us do our standard trail run, which includes a fairly lengthy drive down some walking trails followed by a long, steep, rocky climb that gets pretty darn gnarly! I was really impressed with several aspects of the truck. The tires really gripped well. I think their width may be a limiting factor, though. There's just not that much rubber on the surface for such a heavy rig. I definitely need to get some firmer foams! Overall, I was nonetheless impressed. The Tekin motor ran cool during the whole trip. At it's hottest, I could still keep my fingers on the can. And after a solid 2+ hours of running I only went though one and a half 1300 mah batteries! This thing is running pretty darn efficiently! And for much of the time I was even running my 8 rock lights off the LiPo.

I only grabbed a couple quick pics, but here's the Yota showing off it's new shoes.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #290
RCC Addict

Are you running all links now? My BigvRed will stun the wheel wells like that but I am running 3 link front and leaf rear. My TF2 won't do it tho.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #291
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Are you running all links now? My BigvRed will stun the wheel wells like that but I am running 3 link front and leaf rear. My TF2 won't do it tho.
Oh, it's always been linked. 3 link/track bar up front and double triangulated 4 link (standard SCX10) in the rear. I just made my own links and tweaked the wheelbase a bit.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #292
RCC Addict

Too many builds to follow, I though you had started leafed.
Either way, looks good tommy. I am waiting on my body coming back from pardonmyn00b to finish up Big Red. Planning to cut those windows like I did on my blue Hilux, probably yhe same on my TF2 also.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #293
I wanna be Dave

LOL, no worries, Neil. I actually gave a lot of thought to leafing this rig, but decided against it. I think it was mainly out of convenience!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #294
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I like the tires on there. I Guess I need to take the plunge myself.

<--- Figured you'd approve of the motor.

You should update the specs & pics on page one cause this has come a loooong way.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #295
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
I like the tires on there. I Guess I need to take the plunge myself.

<--- Figured you'd approve of the motor.

You should update the specs & pics on page one cause this has come a loooong way.
Yeah, the tires are narrow, but seem to work well. Still not sure they're better than the Mud Slingers, to be honest, but I need a 1.9 wheel to narrow my track width and the Slingers are only 1.55. D'oh! But despite the narrow width, I like the MTZs. And that motor is great! I'm running 20/87 and I could definitely gear it up for more wheelspeed, but it's got plenty already, to be honest!

Yeah, the specs have definitely changed. I guess this thing should be in the 1.9 section now, huh?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #296
RCC Addict

Quote:
I only grabbed a couple quick pics, but here's the Yota showing off it's new shoes.

Looks super clean and 'boring'....I like it!
Those are 1.55 tires on 1.9 wheels in these pics?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #297
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Looks super clean and 'boring'....I like it!
Those are 1.55 tires on 1.9 wheels in these pics?
Thanks! Actually, I'm currently running 1.9 wheels and tires. I did run some 1.55 tires stretched on some 1.9 wheels for a while, though....but not any longer.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #298
RCC Addict

Is that silicone around the LEDs? My favorite blue yota!
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #299
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog Madigan View Post
Is that silicone around the LEDs? My favorite blue yota!
Thanks! I assume you're referring to the rock lights? It's actually just Shoe Goo holding them in place.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #300
RCC Addict

Have to ask, where is shoe goo not a good place to use?
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote