LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

That is a awsome truck! Great job
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

the new wheels look so much better!!, have you tested them out yet?
Landcruiser 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
Looks great.

Wes
Thanks Wes! I wish I had it ready for all the fall season comps. Hopefully we can at least have a few g2g's before the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheREDCAT View Post
That is a awsome truck! Great job
Thanks! I'm really happy with it so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser 110 View Post
the new wheels look so much better!!, have you tested them out yet?
I agree! I was able to test out the new wheels and tires for a short run. They are definitely better than the hard HPI tires haha I only ran on them for about ten minutes though, so they should get better as they break in. I also installed the new MIP driveshafts and winch. Still need to wire up the winch and finish the detail work.

When...or if the rain stops, I'd like to get some more trail shots. And maybe at a new trail
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Coming along very nicely. Last scale comp is this Sat at St. Peters, check EPARCC for all the details. I hope you can make it out.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Coming along very nicely. Last scale comp is this Sat at St. Peters, check EPARCC for all the details. I hope you can make it out.
Thanks John! Sorry for the late reply and that I wasn't able to make it to the last comp. It will be ready for the next season and any GTG's in between.

Not much of an update, but I was able to..."enhance" the fuel door. The chromed details (door handles, vents, and fuel cap) also got a coat of satin black.

I'm kind of stuck at what I want to do for the tail lights. If anyone with some Land Rover knowledge can help I'd appreciate it. I know of three distinct versions (1 of which has square lights which I don't want):

The "stock" lights, which mine currently has.

Or this with 5 lights, all same size, and all on the same horizontal line. Is it a US version? I'm kind of leaning towards this because it's simple and clean, and I have light buckets to match them. Any ideas?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #46
RCC Addict

I'd go for the top one. Your interior is right hand drive so it would be odd to mix the two, especially since you've research it and are trying to make it correct.

Just my $0.02
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Very nice looking build! I'm also planning on using the Geolanders on my 2nd Rover. Scale question for you, as this body is closer to 1/8.5th, the 1.55's are more like a 13" wheel, which I don't think works quite right. Have you thought about stretching the 1.55 tires onto a 1.9 rim (which gives you a proper scale 16" rim)?
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
I'd go for the top one. Your interior is right hand drive so it would be odd to mix the two, especially since you've research it and are trying to make it correct.

Just my $0.02
That makes sense. I didn't even think to pay attention to which side drive they are (even though I said US version haha). But I've still seen some mixed and matched (left/right-hand drive with both rear light patterns). Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Very nice looking build! I'm also planning on using the Geolanders on my 2nd Rover. Scale question for you, as this body is closer to 1/8.5th, the 1.55's are more like a 13" wheel, which I don't think works quite right. Have you thought about stretching the 1.55 tires onto a 1.9 rim (which gives you a proper scale 16" rim)?
Thank you! I love how your Land Rover came out! How did you mount the rear of the interior to the body? The front has mounts, but the rear doesn't on mine.
The Geolandars look good, but they are a very hard compound (HPI - D compound). I would not recommend using them. HPI does make a softer compound version, but only in 2.2 size. And now that you mention it, the wheels do seem a bit small. I wonder how the fender clearance would be affected with the bigger wheels.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
And now that you mention it, the wheels do seem a bit small. I wonder how the fender clearance would be affected with the bigger wheels.
OD won't change
Old 10-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
OD won't change
Hmm... Think the 1.55's are too small?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Tires too, but that's just me lol
Old 10-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you! I love how your Land Rover came out! How did you mount the rear of the interior to the body? The front has mounts, but the rear doesn't on mine.
The Geolandars look good, but they are a very hard compound (HPI - D compound). I would not recommend using them. HPI does make a softer compound version, but only in 2.2 size. And now that you mention it, the wheels do seem a bit small. I wonder how the fender clearance would be affected with the bigger wheels.
Thanks! I scratch built everything rear of the front seats, as I built a longer wheelbase 110. Shoe Goo and styrene scraps mostly holds it to the body. And it partially rests of the frame which is completely in line with the body mounts. All flush and tight to the frame.

I'm going for a scale look and not concerned so much with performance. It should be tough to drive in my mind, so if the tires are a little hard (which they are, I've got them already) I'll cut the foams to soften the load.

Quote:
If you use the same tires (1.55's) and stretch them onto a 1.9 rim, you'll have the same overall diameter, but a more scale rim size.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Tires too, but that's just me lol
I think they're okay. I might do the 1.9 wheel change later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Thanks! I scratch built everything rear of the front seats, as I built a longer wheelbase 110. Shoe Goo and styrene scraps mostly holds it to the body. And it partially rests of the frame which is completely in line with the body mounts. All flush and tight to the frame.

I'm going for a scale look and not concerned so much with performance. It should be tough to drive in my mind, so if the tires are a little hard (which they are, I've got them already) I'll cut the foams to soften the load.

If you use the same tires (1.55's) and stretch them onto a 1.9 rim, you'll have the same overall diameter, but a more scale rim size.
Yeah, the tires were okay on the dry and even wet rocks. But nothing like a softer compound. I am thinking of changing the wheel size though.

I was planning on changing the rear interior too. I'm not having any touring groups in my truck haha So I cut them out last night and mocked up a rough idea of what the new seats will look like. I can't wait to make them!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Had some time to work on the seats. Just need the sides and headrests, and then some paint.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Seats will blend in nicely with some paint
Old 10-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Seats will blend in nicely with some paint
Thanks Chris!

I finished the seats today and I'm really pleased with how they turned out! I wish I could add some "cushion-like" details or even actual fabric, but they will be painted satin black for now.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Seats are painted! I'll let the paint cure overnight before I glue them to the original interior. Then I can add some scale junk and go drive it.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Small update. I decided to try the 1.9's again and I think it looks a lot better. But I'm not sure about the tire size or if the suspension needs to be lowered a little. It will compress when I add the battery and electronics a small amount though. The seats are in and rear license plate on, but I still need to add some stuff. I kind of like the clean look without the roof rack too.

These are the 1.55 Mud Thrashers stretched over 1.9 Tango Downs. Same 95mm outer diameter.

Tail light lenses and LEDs still need to go in. And I gave the fuel door pocket some color.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Wow, killer D90! Very scale!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Wow, killer D90! Very scale!
Thanks! I'm happy with it so far. Still a lot of details to finish.

Tags
1.55, d90, defender, land rover, mtz