Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #122
Rock Crawler

Default Re: cbp27's Defender 90 Build

Thanks! I'm happy with it too
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #123

Nice colour. What motor do you use? Cause your Gelande seems to be pretty fast.
IKke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #124
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKke View Post
Nice colour. What motor do you use? Cause your Gelande seems to be pretty fast.
Thanks Ikke. It has a HPI 15T Firebolt motor right now. I originally put a Holmes Torquemaster 45T but that was way too slow for me. The Firebolt was the only other motor I had laying around. And with the Axial SCX10 tranny and RC4WD Disruptor transfer case I still get plenty of low end torque. Once the HPI dies I may go for another cheap motor in the 15-20T range.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #125
Rock Crawler

Well, today was a beautiful winter day with warm temps and I couldn't resist going outside. I slapped the lights and grill on the D90 and took it outside for some photos. I can't believe how great it looks even without all the windows and stuff! Hope you guys think the same!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #126
RCC Addict

Looks awesome all together. Did you decide to wet sand and polish or just leave it?
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Looks awesome all together. Did you decide to wet sand and polish or just leave it?
Thanks Chris! The clear coat isn't as even and smooth as I'd like it to be right now, so a wetsand and polish will probably help. Would you be up for helping? haha
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #128
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Thanks Chris! The clear coat isn't as even and smooth as I'd like it to be right now, so a wetsand and polish will probably help. Would you be up for helping? haha
Yea, I'll be free all weekend again
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

After some good rock rash you will never know.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #130
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well, today was a beautiful winter day with warm temps and I couldn't resist going outside. I slapped the lights and grill on the D90 and took it outside for some photos. I can't believe how great it looks even without all the windows and stuff! Hope you guys think the same!

Looks awesome, just got those same tires i the other day, I really like the way they look. Color looks way better then the red. Cant wait to see it all back together
Colorofkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #131
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Yea, I'll be free all weekend again
Cool, I'm itching to finish this thing. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
After some good rock rash you will never know.
Yeah I can't wait to take it on the trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorofkris View Post
Looks awesome, just got those same tires i the other day, I really like the way they look. Color looks way better then the red. Cant wait to see it all back together
Thanks! I like the gray too. I'm hoping to have it all buttoned up within a few weeks.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #132
Rock Stacker

I like that metallic grey mate
I am always fascinated with Defender builds like that,
I also have the same tire and wheel combo on my D110,
For that simplistic tire design, its amazingly climb well
mannyr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyr69 View Post
I like that metallic grey mate
I am always fascinated with Defender builds like that,
I also have the same tire and wheel combo on my D110,
For that simplistic tire design, its amazingly climb well
Thanks! I definitely agree on the tires. I haven't used them too much, but they have really surprised me so far.

Today I had some spare time to start playing with the stainless steel tubing I got from McMaster. I practiced bending with a piece of brake line from the auto shop first. haha

After messing with the brake line I thought about giving up. The brake line has a special coating on it which makes it kind of slippery on the bending tool. But, I kept going and the stainless steel was a lot easier to work with. No slippery coating and it's a little firmer. Much better!

I made the top rack loop a little shorter and narrower to give it a more streamlined look. And then added some 10mm screws and tape for a mock up. I think I'll make it even shorter.

Safety Devices makes a lot of great products and I really like what they have for the Land Rovers. This is my inspiration!

I've been wanting to get some MadDogRC lightbars for a long time. I'd love to get a pair of 2" bars to match this truck, but they're too expensive so I might just get one 5" bar.

Now I need some smaller tubing/rod to fit in the ends to make the joints stronger. Also need to get some Safety Silv 45, map torch, and a lot of luck! lol
Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

Default Re: !

Quote:
Thanks! I definitely agree on the tires. I haven't used them too much, but they have really surprised me so far.

Today I had some spare time to start playing with the stainless steel tubing I got from McMaster. I practiced bending with a piece of brake line from the auto shop first. haha

After messing with the brake line I thought about giving up. The brake line has a special coating on it which makes it kind of slippery on the bending tool. But, I kept going and the stainless steel was a lot easier to work with. No slippery coating and it's a little firmer. Much better!

I made the top rack loop a little shorter and narrower to give it a more streamlined look. And then added some 10mm screws and tape for a mock up. I think I'll make it even shorter.

Safety Devices makes a lot of great products and I really like what they have for the Land Rovers. This is my inspiration!

I've been wanting to get some MadDogRC lightbars for a long time. I'd love to get a pair of 2" bars to match this truck, but they're too expensive so I might just get one 5" bar.

Now I need some smaller tubing/rod to fit in the ends to make the joints stronger. Also need to get some Safety Silv 45, map torch, and a lot of luck! lol
Thats a sick defender. Those lights would look really cool like that, way worth the money to buy 2, a 5 inch i think would look tacky
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #135
Quarry Creeper

Fantastic build. A D90 build is in my future for sure
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

As far as those light bars they are made using SMD waterproof black backing adhesive SMD 5050 LED strips with plastic housings. The housing could VERY easily be replicated using sheet metal or any material really. IMO those are WAY overpriced for what they are made of. A price point of $15 is more realistic. I can buy a 15meter roll of those LEDs for $25.....

Make your own I'd be glad to help. Heres one of my quads with the SMD 5050s.

That company is raping customers for a 3-4" stip and a plastic enclosure at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

They run off 3s/12v
Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Not to mention they use white strips not black, which would look much better when the lights aren't lit. ;)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #138

Can you just cut those light strips to length?
IKke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #139
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
As far as those light bars they are made using SMD waterproof black backing adhesive SMD 5050 LED strips with plastic housings. The housing could VERY easily be replicated using sheet metal or any material really. IMO those are WAY overpriced for what they are made of. A price point of $15 is more realistic. I can buy a 15meter roll of those LEDs for $25.....

That company is raping customers for a 3-4" stip and a plastic enclosure at that price.

The housings are CNC'd out of 6061, hard anodized and potted with epoxy. As far as the LED's, they are more expensive (and brighter) than standard strip LED's, the color temp is 6500k pure white and are 5100 lumens. Wire is the best high strand count available. The housings are also made in small quantities so the cost is higher than a larger production run. Just thought I'd give you the correct information about our overpriced lights that we are raping our customers for.

Last edited by chino63; 02-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #140
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
The housings are CNC'd out of 6061, hard anodized and potted with epoxy. As far as the LED's, they are more expensive (and brighter) than standard strip LED's, the color temp is 6500k pure white and are 5100 lumens. Wire is the best high strand count available. The housings are also made in small quantities so the cost is higher than a larger production run. Just thought I'd give you the correct information about our overpriced lights that we are raping our customers for.
Your awesome...personally iI think the light bars are pretty sick, seen um on a few trucks and look well worth the money lolo that was funny though

Tags
1.55, d90, defender, land rover, mtz