Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: cbp27's Defender 90 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #141
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default Re: cbp27's Defender 90 Build

cbp27, your d90 is off to a great start! looking good, i like the color choice. btw, sorry for my last post here. i know its not the place for that kind of thing, i can delete it if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorofkris View Post
Your awesome...personally iI think the light bars are pretty sick, seen um on a few trucks and look well worth the money lolo that was funny though
thank you.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #142
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Not to mention they use white strips not black, which would look much better when the lights aren't lit. ;)
Other then the part about the white strips it doesn't appear you have any correct information about the product at all...

Have you ever seen one in person? The light output from one of these is completely on a different level then those you were talking about. The product he makes is well worth the money. I finally picked up a 5" myself and am wanting a custom 1" made.

Cbp27, sorry for the hijack as well I'm impressed with your stainless work. I still can't get the tubing thing down with that bender. I am hoping if I get another bender I'll have a better shot at it!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Looking awesome, great build.
Building a "Landy" has been on the wish list for a while.
Keep up the great work.
Blackvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #144
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thats a sick defender. Those lights would look really cool like that, way worth the money to buy 2, a 5 inch i think would look tacky
I would definitely like two short vs. one long, but I'll have to save up some more I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Fantastic build. A D90 build is in my future for sure.

Heres one of my quads with the SMD 5050s.

That company is raping customers for a 3-4" stip and a plastic enclosure at that price.
Thanks! They're really nice looking trucks if you do them right. I've seen those light strips before and they are temping to get just to try out. But as far as the MadDogRC light bars, I've been wanting one since before they were released lol They are top quality (aluminum enclosures, epoxy filled over LEDs, and bullet proof). The price is high compared to simpler designs, but I don't mind paying extra for something that is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKke View Post
Can you just cut those light strips to length?
Yes, most of them can be cut every 3 LEDs or so. You can probably find out from the product descriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
The housings are CNC'd out of 6061, hard anodized and potted with epoxy. As far as the LED's, they are more expensive (and brighter) than standard strip LED's, the color temp is 6500k pure white and are 5100 lumens. Wire is the best high strand count available. The housings are also made in small quantities so the cost is higher than a larger production run. Just thought I'd give you the correct information about our overpriced lights that we are raping our customers for.

cbp27, your d90 is off to a great start! looking good, i like the color choice.
btw, sorry for my last post here. i know its not the place for that kind of thing, i can delete it if you want.
thank you.
No problem Dean. I knew these were top notch when I first saw them on that Mercedes a while ago. I haven't even tried them and I just know that they will be awesome in person. I completely understand the pricing situation. Thanks though! I'm looking forward to owning some of those lights soon.

Quote:
Your awesome...personally iI think the light bars are pretty sick, seen um on a few trucks and look well worth the money lolo that was funny though
Completely agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Other then the part about the white strips it doesn't appear you have any correct information about the product at all...

Have you ever seen one in person? The light output from one of these is completely on a different level then those you were talking about. The product he makes is well worth the money. I finally picked up a 5" myself and am wanting a custom 1" made.

Cbp27, sorry for the hijack as well I'm impressed with your stainless work. I still can't get the tubing thing down with that bender. I am hoping if I get another bender I'll have a better shot at it!
Thanks for the complement on the metal. That bender isn't as easy as I'd like but it's all I have for now. I've been searching the forum for some of the vendors' tube bending kits.
What about just using the 1" rock lights? Or did you want the housing to be aluminum instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvelvet View Post
Looking awesome, great build.
Building a "Landy" has been on the wish list for a while.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks man! It was the first truck I wanted to build when I got started in this hobby. Awesome detail and so many possibilities!
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #145
Rock Crawler

I've been working on the roll cage and roof rack a little bit this week. Still have some stuff to figure out with the design, but I need to start brazing it so I have something solid to work with.

Since I haven't worked with metal like this before and I don't have the fanciest tools I'm trying to keep everything simple. So on the sides of the cage I made it a big loop instead of separate pieces.

Last night I made the bar around the windshield. It's a pretty simple piece. I need to braze the mounting feet and cross bar so I can start building off of it.

This is an idea of what the rest of the roll cage will look like minus the top half of the rack.

I was originally thinking of drilling a large hole on the outside of this tube for a screw head to fit into, and a smaller hole on the other side for the screw thread to fit into to mount to the body here. Would that weaken the tube? Or look ugly?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #146
Oppan Gangnam Style

Tube work is looking good! If you drill it, it will definately weaken the tube. You could make some mounting tabs if there is space for them.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #147
Oppan Gangnam Style

What material is the tubing?

You could braze a nut to the body side of the tubing with a corresponding hole in the tube and bolt it from the inside of the body with a spacer if needed between the body and tube.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #148
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Tube work is looking good! If you drill it, it will definately weaken the tube. You could make some mounting tabs if there is space for them.

What material is the tubing?

You could braze a nut to the body side of the tubing with a corresponding hole in the tube and bolt it from the inside of the body with a spacer if needed between the body and tube.

Thanks! It's 304 Stainless tubing. That idea sounds like it should work. Just need to get my torch and solder now.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #149
RCC Addict

Your last picture looks like boobies lol.

Looks nice Clay, do you plan on leaving it bare or are you painting it to match?
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Gimp said BOOBIES
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #151
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Gimp said BOOBIES
Somebody had to lol
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #152
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post

Looks nice Clay, do you plan on leaving it bare or are you painting it to match?
lol Nice Chris. I was planning on satin black like the front bumper. If powdercoating costs too much I'll paint it myself.

Quote:
Gimp said BOOBIES
lol Any plans for the 2012 crawling season? Do you know if anyone else will be joining Class 1?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Any plans for the 2012 crawling season? Do you know if anyone else will be joining Class 1?

It looks like there will be about 5-7 rigs in calss 1 this season and 4-5 calss 3 we are growing.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #154
RCC Addict

I will be attempting all three this year, come on out.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #155
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It looks like there will be about 5-7 rigs in calss 1 this season and 4-5 calss 3 we are growing.
That's awesome! Can't wait for it to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
I will be attempting all three this year, come on out.

Wes
Sounds like a challenge? lol

I've slowly been gathering supplies and tools to start brazing the roll cage and roof rack. I just got my Safety-Silv 45 kit, waiting for some "helping hands", and still need to get a mapp gas torch.

I did manage to pick up a cool scale item. It's a 1/6th scale weapon case. I thought it was the perfect match to that picture I posted of the D110. I knew it would be way too long, and wide too, but that's a simple fix.

All I did was use a mini hack saw to chop out a section and cut the foam to match. I'll probably use some styrene on the inside of the seam to reinforce it along with some Goop. Maybe a nice coat of satin black will look better. The description was "black" but it's more of a metallic gray.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #156
Pebble Pounder

this is one sick defender clay, i hope you can make it to some class 1 comps. We can duel landys. lol
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #157
Rock Crawler

Thanks Marc! I can't wait for the comps! Excited to see how our D90s do against each other haha
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #158
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Thanks Marc! I can't wait for the comps! Excited to see how our D90s do against each other haha
first one is in palmerton, should be a knee slappin good time!
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #159
Rock Crawler

Yesterday was my first time brazing and all I did was join the two halves of the rollcage and join the cross bar to the front frame. Today I added the nut mounts to the rollcage and got 4 braces ready for tomorrow.

Originally I made tiny steel tabs to sit next to each nut and help brace them. When I tried brazing I couldn't get them to stay so off they went. I don't think the nuts will fall off though.

It's not perfectly straight but I'm happy so far. Once it's finished and has junk strapped to it everything will blend in better.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #160
RCC Addict

Why are you pitting junk on such a nice looking truck. really turned out great. Can't wait to see this one out on the rocks.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.55, d90, defender, land rover, mtz