Thread: My Ford F-350 High-Lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Loving all the details you keep adding to it
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #62

Well today i found this add on craigslist for a used HL that comes heavily modded but also includes the parts to convert it back. he was asking $600 but i got him down to $450. what do you think guys? good or no? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/1766934338.html
redneck_rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

I think that is a fair price, as he has a lot of money tied up in that truck, even if you don't like the 4 linked suspension. A complete new body kind of sweetens the deal too. Maybe squeeze him for $50 more off, but $450 is not bad. What are new Highlifts selling for now? $409?
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck_rainey View Post
Well today i found this add on craigslist for a used HL that comes heavily modded but also includes the parts to convert it back. he was asking $600 but i got him down to $450. what do you think guys? good or no? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/1766934338.html
get it for 450! if i was in stl id pick it up, but im in columbia, come up and crawl when you get a rig!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Default ~

Got the opportunity to add a little more detail to the front bumper! What good is a winch bumper if it doesn't have a little extra lighting for the late night drives?

Bored a couple extra holes in the bumper and installed some Axial light lenses. No buckets behind them. Just some shallow holes to allow a somewhat press fit of the LED. I couldn't wait to see them lit up, so I wired up some test LEDs and put some power to them.

The small lights are fog/driving lights. The larger, off road lights. Notice a little difference in the color of the light. I went for the off road HID look and standard incadscent bulbs for the fog lights. I think I will do the same for the high and low beams.

Last edited by Espeefan; 06-04-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
get it for 450! if i was in stl id pick it up, but im in columbia, come up and crawl when you get a rig!
i have a semi modded night crawler, i just want a scaler too and i love ford. where do u crawl?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

Rainey, if you are serious about scale crawling, I would steer you to an SCX-10 chassis, and tell you to mount a Tamiya F-350 body onto it. That would be an ideal platform to start working with, and it wouldn't really need much work at all to be more capable then a Highlift. Even a 4 linked Highlift can't compare. The Highlift is more of a daily driver, occasional off road trail truck.

I got tired of looking at the Highlift in pieces today and decided to halfway assemble it so I could see what it might look like when it's finished. This is the first time I've actually had it back together, to the point where it is a complete truck again, and after all the work I have put into it. I couldn't wait to see what the grill, hood, and front bumper would look like, working together! I also threw the box back on the chassis. It looked pretty good, so I snapped some outdoor photos. The lighting just isn't the same down in the basement, and on the workbench!

The bed is pretty much taken care of now too. The 5th wheel ball hitch turned out exactly the way I wanted it to. Nice and beefy, but only the ball is exposed in the box. The ball actually holds the box on, and I was able to keep the stock hinges in the rear for battery changes or maintenance, although I did have to mill them shorter (since doing the bed drop lowered the whole floor, giving the box a lift).

I can't wait to get this thing done! Then I might start on a trailer!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Sick looking truck..........
Team Kamakaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #69

ok so i talked to the guy with the craigslist add again. i got him down to $400. i think i'm gonna have to buy it, lol
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #70

have you put any thoughts innto some kinda exhaust? like maybe dumps or stacks
Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

I have to tell you man, that front end looks sick! It really looks good put together, the grill looks awesome! My only suggestion is to round off those shackle mounts. Other than that, I'm jealous.

I also agree with redneck rainey, needs some exhaust. Maybe some dumps just in front of the rear tires?
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

what color you gonna paint it
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys! Glad you like it so far.

Don't Slow Down, yeah, I thought about rounding the d-ring mounts a little too, but I'll have to see if I can get to it. For now, they still came out pretty nice!

Well, for today's update, I finally have the bumper done. The biggest challenge with the bumper was getting a working winch on it. There really isn't much room anywhere on the truck for a winch, but I found a spot for it. Naturally, I had to machine up some more parts to make it work, but it sure did turn out well.

The first thing I had to do was ditch the stock mounting plate and rollers. Didn't really need the rollers anyway. I machined the new ones for the front of the bumper.

I machined an opening for the cable to pass through. The bumper also had the same sized opening machined into it.

View from the underside, showing the roller I had to make to help the cable make a 90 degree turn and head out the front of the bumper. The roller has a large taper to it, to help keep the cable centered on the drum. It works awesome. I can pull the cable to the left or right, and it still wraps on the center of the drum. The roller mounts tie into the winch plate up top. Basically they sandwich the bumper.

One more from below. Also, the pockets, in case anyone is wondering, are relief cuts to clear the leaf spring shackles and the front cross member of the chassis.

When it's all together, space is tight, but the winch does fit under the hood, and beind the grill. Like a glove!

The best part is, I now have working winch! Scratch off one more thing that is on the to-do list! The rest should be easy! I put more time into this bumper, then the whole truck I think!

And for those mentioning exhaust, it will have dual stacks in the box. Diesel power!

Last edited by Espeefan; 06-10-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #74

I got the highlift!!!!!!! first thing i did was thake the 4 link setup off and returned it to leaf springs. the 4 link was a bit much, and far too top heavy.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #75
RCC Addict

i like that winch setup alot great job
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

nice ford where are you in Wisconsin
scale-bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

That winch location is pretty sweet and the machine work is clever. I wish I had the tools to make stuff like this. Nice job

Are those shackles the RC4WD ones? I was looking at some for my Tundra but thought they looked a little big.

Last edited by dont slow down; 06-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #78

any updates yet?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #79

that bumper is amazing!!!
bigboy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #80

You still alive man?