Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build

Im thinking of settings the effie up in droop to try combat it being a bit too tall.

Also I need a set of those ultra4s!

The Trukkracea
trukkracea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

I have had some GoPro issues recently, most of my stuff corrupted and everything I recorded at the Toohey Challenge on the weekend didn't actually record/save.

I managed to recover from footage from camping though, tested using my suction mount on the roof panel and camera angled back into the cab area, turned out great with very little vibration! Also a couple other random shots.

Sp3cia1-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Nice build Kyle, simple and clean : )
Carlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Very sweet built and seems to handle nicely when going fast. What motor and ESC are you using? And what cockpit did you use?
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys

Motor and ESC setup is a Roc 412 3100kv geared 10/54 I believe paired with a CC MMP on 3s
Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Oh and it has the cockpit from the HPI Trophy Truck or whatever it is called. It's 1:12 I believe, I have a c1 cockpit but doubt I will be able to make it work due to the second A pillar
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

i absolutely love this truck! definetly gonna chop the rear section up and braze it back together like yours. looks sweet!
puffntough760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp3cia1-K View Post
So I competed with this in C3 yesterday and went alright considering it was finished late the night before and only had a battery plugged in to check the motor and servo wasn't reversed.

s came about, the main being losing a shock retainer part way through the first course so basically had no front end shock support for the whole day.. also had wheel nut and hex come off, but some how didn't loose the pin so it was an easy fix.

I need some new tires though, something taller and more grip, the treps just aren't hooking up.

So the basic to do list is to get some 1.9 growlers or compass tires, get a spring retainer and tune the shocks a bit better and get the new xr width wraith axles up and going that I got from David yesterday.

Can't wait to get these axles mounted up and running, thanks to David from Beefed Rc for building another sick pair of axles
Looks like fun comp, great looking narrowed AR60s! I've always wished that my Wraith axles were about 1/2" narrower, XR width is 19mm (about 3/4") narrower, I love it! Also want AR60s narrowed under my SCX.

Quote:
Not much of an update but just waiting on some parts to arrive for this thing

Dlux clearanced wraith shafts that will be narrowed to suit
Dlux sporty trusses
1.9 Pitbull Growlers with CI Dueces Wild foams
1.55 Pitbull Growler spare on spare 1.9 rc4wd Raceline Monster
Heyok KOH brake light controller
Hot Racing's new style locker (2 m5 set screws per shaft - 4 in total!)
HPI Apache C1 interior - Not sure if I'll use it, see how it looks
Wraith rear shafts and xr lockouts

A little side note in regard to the axles, to those who might have looked closely to the photo I posted the other day, you may notice only one housing was actually narrowed up...

...That's because BeefedRc and I worked out that a standard ar60 housing with an xr lockout is the same width as a xr width modded housing with wraith lockouts or knuckles and chubs - Pictures will come explaining a bit better when some parts arrive
I'll also post up a little comparison between all my BeefedRc axles - The first set of custom axles he made, my dual short side wraith housings for my C1, Standard width for the wraith and XR width for the IBex
Thanks for the info, photos, and comparison.

Quote:
So my order from RPP came in this morning which had my xr10 lockouts and a bunch of other stuff, so first thing I did was a bit of mockup showing all my axle widths using the rear as the example.

First off here is my two Beefed Rc custom axles for this build, top is the front narrowed housing with 9.5mm removed from the outside of the link mounts with a wraith lockout (same width as wraith knuckles/chubs) and the bottom housing is standard ar60 width but with the xr lockouts. The shorter length of the xr lockout is the perfect dimension for making xr width axles and lines up perfectly with wraith/xr knuckles and chubs (well in this photo, a wraith lockout)

Next is a comparison shot showing how much narrower the axles will be compared to a full size ar60.
Also lined my Beefed Rc C1 axles from my Cherokee, it runs dual short side wraith shafts making it roughly 5mm narrower than a standard scx10 axle - (Using this set up makes the front axle approx 17mm shorter than the typical 'narrow xr mod' axle from memory)

I did just some rough measurements of the axles from outside lockout to outside lockout. I though it would be better doing it that way as each axle uses a different hex style/width.

Full width AR60 (Wraith): 232mm
XR60 (Axles built for this IBex chassis): 213mm
My Class One Axles (Dual Wraith short side shafts): 175mm
SCX10: 180mm (Add 12.7mm for narrow xr mod - wide xr mod will grant you essentially the same width as the xr60)

Just note that they could be a mm or two out as my callipers don't reach that far and had to use a tape measure, but the critical dimension is that the xr60/xr10 is 19mm narrower than the ar60
Quote:
I think you could make quite the build with some xr60s..
Apart from anything else, by the time you get the rcbros tubes or any of the other offerings and go to all the effort, you may as well go for Davids custom ar60 platform, makes diff maintenance a heck of a lot easier as you don't have to pull the whole thing apart, just pop the diff cover off and you are good to go!

I know David has been doing some xr60s for someone else but reduced the width along the long side tube, its the freedom like that which makes it such a good option in my opinion! I know I will have to probably mount my links on the inside of the mounts as they are still the original width, that was mainly so I could run the dlux trusses.
Nice build, looks like David does very nice clean axle work too! Subscribed.

Last edited by Natedog; 03-26-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Glad I could help Natedog!

This is set to be getting some proper updates soon, new rear axle in the works soon, reworking the chassis for better clearances, new panel designs and some custom machined trailing arms made by a local guy near me.

Should be good
Old 04-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

So I've been meaning update this build for ages, just been enjoying running it myself but it is time that I finally paint the chassis and get some proper panels done up.

Around KOH time I was scouring the net looking for Ibex's that competed and found a couple with the one that most took my eye being the JDS Motorsport entry, #4461 driven by Doug Jackson.

Although I don't plan on this being an exact replica, I am planing on basing the design and layout on this truck and working my own ideas and sponsors into it.

I started with the panels, this time around I'm wanting to go with one piece panels that wrap around the whole truck, a bit of heat from the heat gun helped with this and creates a nice flared arch look.
For the time being I won't be going with the 'Jeep' front grill for this one I don't think, will be going for a flat hood design.

Following the design and layout ideas from JDS with the exception of the enlarged diamond plate rear, here is how it looks. I simply got masking tape and tore thin strips for the template
Note the hole in the hood, I wonder what that might be for...

Next to tackle was getting rid of the old chipped and scratched paint off ready for painting, so out came the sheets of sandpaper..

At the same time I reworked the lower tube work on the right hand front for better servo clearance at full bump. I had altered it a while ago but when I brazed it all up I hadn't noticed that it angled in, which in turn hit on the servo horn under full compression.
Despite hitting, I made up a ton of clearance anyway so I didn't worry about it. Now that it is being painted, I went ahead and straightened it and raised it a touch more while I was at it. Not overly deserving of a picture but you can see the altered front in the other images anyway.

The paint I am using to achieve the metallic/candy red requires a good silver or chrome base to work with so that was the first step. I'll let it dry overnight and shoot the red in the morning.

May as well mock up the panels to see how it is looking. And that hole seems to have been filled with something..

By the way, that is an axial exo engine piece up front!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Got some colour on the chassis..

It didn't come out perfectly, if I was to do it again I would spray the colour itself rather than a 'candy' or colour top coat like this one.
Came out rather matt as well but a gloss coat over the top helped bring the colour out in the end.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

What axle shafts did you use with the XR lockouts front and rear? Did you grind new flat spots on Wraith axles and then cut off extra lenght or?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
What axle shafts did you use with the XR lockouts front and rear? Did you grind new flat spots on Wraith axles and then cut off extra lenght or?
Just normal wraith front and rear axle shafts with new flat spots ground down and shortened as necessary.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 AM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Its all about to be put back together ready for the weekend social run

Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Got everything back together and went for a solo run to make sure all is good. She is looking good but not happy with the cage paint.. we'll see how long I can stand it.

Here are some shots from today, radio in one hand, slr in the other while chasing the truck around. Not bad considering

This shot gives a bit of an insight to the paint condition after just one run..

The silver under coat is still in good condition though with the exception of around the new alterations up front.
I love the look of the new inner guards too, simply just some 0.5mm alloy sheet cut and bent to match the chassis just like on the 1:1s.

Here is my new trailing arm setup as well made by a local trail mate.

I ended up having to do a fair bit of modding to get these to look/work right, that's only cause I didn't think of the shock angle prior to getting them made.

They originally had revo ends front and rear but meant my shocks lent forward rather than vertical or backwards.

To fix this I needed to move the lower mount back by shortening the rod end and arm behind the mount and lengthening in front with Jato ends. Worked out perfectly in the end!

Last edited by Sp3cia1-K; 04-11-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just normal wraith front and rear axle shafts with new flat spots ground down and shortened as necessary.
Yesterday I was using some rear inner shafts with the inner ring ground off (like will happen when narrowing axle housing) and the shaft just slid into the lockout until the backside of the wheel hex was rubbing the outer edge of the lockout. I used a male WB8 driveshaft cut down to length to space the axle bearing and shaft out. What do you do when running the XR lockouts to keep the axle in place?

Quote:
Got everything back together and went for a solo run to make sure all is good. She is looking good but not happy with the cage paint.. we'll see how long I can stand it.

This shot gives a bit of an insight to the paint condition after just one run..

The silver under coat is still in good condition though with the exception of around the new alterations up front.
I love the look of the new inner guards too, simply just some 0.5mm alloy sheet cut and bent to match the chassis just like on the 1:1s.
Looks great, but you should have baked the paint after every coat. I did this with my steel HotRacing beadlocks and it made the paint much more durable.

Bake at 200F for one hour after each coat and then ready to assemble.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

I have a 4 grub screw locker in the rear so I don't really have any issues with that side of things. It is the HR locker and have a LU FI spool up front.

I don't think this was a bake paint as it was an overcoat/candy paint. I'll keep running it for now till I see something else I need to tweak on the chassis, like I should have added sway bar mounts on the rear somewhere
Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

OK thanks.

The paint baking works for all spray paint and really makes a huge durability improvement. I've found that baking several times makes the paint even harder and more chip and scratch resistant.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #79
20K Club

Great work on the update!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
OK thanks.

The paint baking works for all spray paint and really makes a huge durability improvement. I've found that baking several times makes the paint even harder and more chip and scratch resistant.
Okay thanks for the heads up on that, I just figured it was only for engine/exhaust paints where you are supposed to heat cure them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Great work on the update!
Thanks Harley! I went ahead and put some sponsors on it the other day too, I wasn't going to be recreating the sponsors on the JDS livery, but more so just the overall design.

Here it was on Sunday at the weekly social.

We hadn't even left the car park when I found the biggest bolder that I for what ever reason didn't see and went BANG into it at full pelt on the left front wheel..
Exploded my servo horn into 2 or 3 pieces and broke the front short side axle shaft.

It absorbed alot of force in the hit too! The shaft twisted nearly 1/4 of a turn before failing. The failure was where I had shortened the shaft for the narrower axles and I have always driven the thing hard, and some poor driving on my behalf at times..
I have another set of unis waiting to get narrowed anyway as I was planning on going rear steer for a bit of fun. Sooo we'll see if that still happens.

Last edited by Sp3cia1-K; 04-13-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Sp3cia1-K's Goat Built Ibex Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jethro's Ibex build (Harley's Plans Scaled for 1.9's) Jethrobodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 80 02-11-2020 07:03 AM
Harley's Ibex Goat Built Wraith Harley Axial Wraith 57 09-09-2019 02:19 PM
2.2 Ibex build MNorby 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 10-03-2015 07:20 AM
1.9 Ibex budget build Brassbender805 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 06-19-2014 10:58 PM
Sp3cia1-K's Poison Spyder Wraith Rebuild Sp3cia1-K Axial Wraith 26 04-14-2014 07:24 AM