Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1BadJeepBruiser's RC4WD Gelände II w/Cruiser Body Kit Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1BadJeepBruiser's RC4WD Gelände II w/Cruiser Body Kit Build

I like where this is going! It's too bad about your trip though...and being sick... It's going around like crazy. I had it bad last week and my girlfriend the week before. Tis the season...

On a lighter note, it's good to know the gmade wheels are good stuff! Ordered the silver steelies for my Yota last night :thumbsup:
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Thank you sir!
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Great build and really appreciate you showing all the wheel/tire options. It's always a big investment to "try" wheels so seeing yours helps me narrow down which ones I am going to put in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Nice! I didn't even know this had come out! Where have I been? I love them FJ's though! Can't wait to see it painted!
makaveliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #45
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toykid View Post
Great build and really appreciate you showing all the wheel/tire options. It's always a big investment to "try" wheels so seeing yours helps me narrow down which ones I am going to put in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The biggest feedback I noticed was the complaint on the small tires and wheel combo... Figured then people will be changing them out as a first upgrade so I thought that was a good idea to share. Glad it helped you

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveliks View Post
Nice! I didn't even know this had come out! Where have I been? I love them FJ's though! Can't wait to see it painted!
Speaking of paint...

Had to do a rear brake job on my mothers 99' ford ranger, was a real PIA... Wheel cylinders were leaking and brake line was frozen on both sides. Plus drum brakes just aren't fun in general. The good thing was I was working in my step fathers 24x48 garage and it has a legit heating system. Was working in t shirt because it was 65*. This also allowed me to get some primer on the cruiser. I tried to duplicolor black primer, it's a filler/sandable primer and I really like the way it laid on the parts.

I used an entire can, everything came out nicely until I discovered what appeared to be a cat hair right in the middle of the hood. Tomorrow I will wet sand that with some 2000 and give a quick re coat.

I changed my mind on the color... Not sure how my new scheme is gonna look to be honest but I am just gonna run with it and hope for the best.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures of the color tomorrow

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #46
Sinking with the ship

So I was able to finish up the paint work on this, thanks to my step dads heated garage. I am really happy about the way the color turned out. The paint job isn't flawless as their is some "dust" in it :l but its good enough for a cwarler...

Surprise ! It's brown! What can I say... I like brown Tiyotas. I actually couldn't find they poop green color so why not poop brown. I mean leather brown. Eventually when the body sets are released I'll scoop another one and I'll have my body shop buddy actually spray it that green.

I had to paint over the course of 2 days, I the second day I got the main part of the body painted

Tossed it on the chassis for a quick preview

Now it's on to the details. I used a combination of model paint and the supplied decals to obtain the dash board realism I wanted. I some how how managed to ruin the speedometer decal I trimmed out all carefully to install it and used an exacto blade to peel the paper backing but some how split the film and wrecked it. I was really pissed then I remembered I had an ashioma/skynet dash board and decided to see if I could carefully remove the speedometer decal and re use. It was mostly successful and doesn't look to bad. Hopefully down the road I can buy a decal sheet. I still have to paint the dash pad, gonna tape it off rattle can it so there isn't brush strokes. I am also going to center the steering wheel as well. I might make up so ARB style rocker switches to put in the other holes.

More to come, I am off for 2 days after my shift tonight so I am hoping to get a lot more done

Mike
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Nice job Mike. I like how the dash turned out so far.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:51 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Like the colors, like the dash. These are very cool rigs to build. Like the direction of this one.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:52 AM   #49
Sinking with the ship

The biggest problem with working midnight tours...Not being able to sleep a normal sleep on your days off

So its time for an update. The good things about Fj40s...TONS of pictures. The BAD thing...TONS of variations through out the years. Honestly, I have no idea what year this is really suppose to be so I am taking from a little bit of everything.

first was detailing the door panels. Found this

Wasn't a fan of all the silver so I did some flat black instead

Fold down window latches

hood latches

This is the type of paint work I like...its tedious and time consuming but I have a pretty steady hand so it usually comes out pretty good.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 AM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Nice choice of color!
Rockatanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The good things about Fj40s...TONS of pictures. The BAD thing...TONS of variations through out the years. Honestly, I have no idea what year this is really suppose to be so I am taking from a little bit of everything.
You're not just whistling Dixie! I must have 100 pics on my computer for reference, from 1970 to 1978 alone, and I see characteristics from so many that I think it's hard to make a truly inaccurate decision.

Yours looks great (except for the brown, of course ).
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Mike. Me likes the color. Thanks for sharing.
THUG LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #53
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looks really good Mike, that interior looks alot like my '70.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #54
Sinking with the ship

Now I'm really pissed, not only is mine not rusting like n00bs and Guys but some dick left the top off and now I got freakin snow ankey!!

I'm returning mine immediately !

#follower

Old 03-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Yours must be an aluminum or fiberglass reproduction.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #56
Sinking with the ship

Decided to take a break from the interior... I am upset because I tapped off the dash to paint the dash pad with some flat black and when I peeled the masking tape it ripped off the one cluster decal even worst is that I didn't realize till after I crumpled up the masking tape and through it out... It's a goner... And decal sheet isn't available for a while so that's a bummer.

Instead, I continued to work on some details of the body. I am well aware that the body hinges for the hood, windshield, doors etc are suppose to be body color but the body is rather large and l was looking to help break up the brown a bit so I opted for gloss black on these parts. I also started detailing the molding on the cap. Set the body on the chassis for a few quick pics. So much more to do.

Took care of the body lines as well.

I still need to paint my turn signal housings, wheels, hub caps, side window trim on cap and I also received my interior floor pan kit as well.

Stay tuned

Mike
Old 03-06-2015, 05:41 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Great stuff Mike.

I'm glad you're a part of the MTZ Club.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am well aware that the body hinges for the hood, windshield, doors etc are suppose to be body color but the body is rather large and l was looking to help break up the brown a bit so I opted for gloss black on these parts.
It seems that people do paint the hinges and at least some after market hinges are black, so it looks accurate for a restore. I like the contrast.

Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Default 1BadJeepBruiser's RC4WD Gelände II w/Cruiser Body Kit Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

Instead, I continued to work on some details of the body. I am well aware that the body hinges for the hood, windshield, doors etc are suppose to be body color but the body is rather large and l was looking to help break up the brown a bit so I opted for gloss black on these parts.
I like the black. It's your truck, you can do whatever you want. People will say "it's not scale". Well, that in itself is a stupid thing and isn't even a thing, really. I could rant and rave for hours on the definition of the words "scale" and "realistic" but I'll do that in one of my own threads.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #60
Oppan Gangnam Style

It's only scale if you paint the silver Phillips head screws... with the phillips head slots.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote

1BadJeepBruiser's RC4WD Gelände II w/Cruiser Body Kit Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imthatguy's RC4WD Gelände II w/Cruiser Body Build imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 143 03-10-2021 07:35 AM
pardonmyn00b's RC4WD Gelande 2 w/Cruiser Body Kit pardonmyn00b 1.9 Scale Rigs 207 01-15-2016 03:54 PM
Rckcrwlr's RC4WD Gelande 2 w/Cruiser Body Kit Rckcrwlr 1.9 Scale Rigs 29 02-22-2015 08:25 AM
Imthatguy's RC4WD Gelände II Build imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 37 01-15-2015 12:17 PM
RC4WD Gelände II Build Time Lapse pardonmyn00b Scale Videos! 0 08-05-2013 07:31 PM