Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Reflektr gets bugged-out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Reflektr gets bugged-out!

I think that frame fits the body well. I'm really digging this bug build.

Why not stretch the body? Get another shell and stitch them together, by adding a slice in of the middle? Would be killer.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Sweet set up! I am digging the stance. I like the idea that was thrown out about adding a little scale engine back there and a short little stinger style bumper... if nothing else it'll keep it rubber side down
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
I think that frame fits the body well. I'm really digging this bug build.

Why not stretch the body? Get another shell and stitch them together, by adding a slice in of the middle? Would be killer.
Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by the shorty STRC chassis and how it fit the bill here. Stretching the body would work, but I'm not as good at styrene work as you, my man! I'm more of a metal whiz lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rick View Post
Sweet set up! I am digging the stance. I like the idea that was thrown out about adding a little scale engine back there and a short little stinger style bumper... if nothing else it'll keep it rubber side down
Thank you! I'm pretty pleased with it myself. Not sure about a scale engine, but I can assure you there will be some 3/16 rod to be bent

Onward!

3/16 rod, trusty measuring tool, slicer, vice, 8/32 tap, a deadblow hammer and POW! We have links...

It's not too bad if you mock them up using allthread first. Surprisingly enough, all of them ended up being cut to 3-1/2" long... That was creepy. I thought the bend would shorten them up some, but then I remembered this nifty little tid-bit that metal actually stretches when you bend it so then I was back to walking in tall cotton, boys.

Look at this clearance...

I mean just look at it!

The upper links will still need a little kink in them so they don't hit the lowers when the suspension cycles, but that'll be part of tomorrow's mission...

I'm currently content with the pinion angles, but that may be subject to change once I find some MIP's short enough for the driveline...

Rear:

Front:

Few degrees up, but they even out a little when the suspension compresses, so we'll see.

I haven't the foggiest idea as to what I plan on using for a power plant yet. A buddy of mine made me a heck of an offer on his barely-used castle 1/8th scale setup... I think it's borderline insane and I'm not sure I have that much loctite, but what kind of an example would I be setting if I didn't at least try?
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Well now that the chassis is pretty well sorted out, I figure it's time to tackle that body!
With the nose-piece off, I can push it back and square up those wheel wells with the tires.

That's more like it! However, this exposes the problem of the frame being longer than the body. Now up-front...

Not a huge issue but it does present a problem, considering I'm mounting my servo right smack dab front and center in the middle of those frame rails. I could do one of two things here: Stretch the nose out beyond the frame and dabble in styrene (which I've never really done) - Or I could cut the nose piece below the headlights and fabricate a metal bumper to hide what will be exposed.

You know, of all the Bug builds I've researched using this body, I don't think I've seen one stay with the given wheelbase. Most are stretched, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I figured I'd be a little different lol. At 10-1/4" she's short. Here's a shot of it compared to the FJ:

Close but not a direct fit, I've already tried lol. You'd have to trim the under-side of the body in order for it to clear the shock mounts, but other than that it would work if you pushed the front axle forward.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Played around with some 1/2" square tubing and made a sort of vintage-looking bumper.

Not sure if I'll use it or not, but playing with metal is always fun. It's my super power... Shhh!

I also benihana'd the nose of this little guy to get it to clear the frame rails.

I'm not sure if this will be a permanent solution yet, but it allows me to place the body where it needs to be in order to see how and where things will fit etc... I also just realized even if I do cut the whole mid-section out so I can plop a servo there, it can always hide behind a winch lol.

Still not sure how I feel about this little gem. I tried to kind of model it after a real '70s VW bumper. I realize it's a little short, but if I made it wrap around the fenders like the real deal it would probably make contact with the tires at some point and catch on rocks.

What's it look like out back?

Nice and low profile... Hmmm... Ehhh we'll see lol.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I love the bumper up front, but it doesn't seem to work well in the back.

Love the color.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

x2 on the front bumper, might be better off making a cage bumper for the rear. Check out Shapeways, they sell a VW flat 4 for the Tamiya Sand Scorcher $45
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
I love the bumper up front, but it doesn't seem to work well in the back.

Love the color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
x2 on the front bumper, might be better off making a cage bumper for the rear. Check out Shapeways, they sell a VW flat 4 for the Tamiya Sand Scorcher $45

Thanks guys. I'd have to agree... After taking a second look and thinking about it, I'm not 100% sure on the vintage bumper. I'll make some mounts and see how it jives. I may try to make a more crawler-oriented bumper and see which one works better. After all, I do plan on wheeling the crap out of this thing and with the short wheelbase I think a (very) mild stinger up front may save it from going ass over applecart lol.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:12 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I love that front bumper! Maybe build a stinger off that with side bars that hug the fender arch to a set of sliders. I think that would give you the support you're after, look you're after and it would offer protection to those super sweet fenders up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #30
Oppan Gangnam Style

I love this build, looking really good so far. If you BTA the steering you will be able to move the servo back in the chassis.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.rick View Post
I love that front bumper! Maybe build a stinger off that with side bars that hug the fender arch to a set of sliders. I think that would give you the support you're after, look you're after and it would offer protection to those super sweet fenders up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! Still up in the air as far as tube-work goes. I can't think of a design that I really dig enough to try and make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
I love this build, looking really good so far. If you BTA the steering you will be able to move the servo back in the chassis.
Thanks man! I'm getting a kick out of it myself

Taking a cue from the ol' Bruisers eh? That is a pretty good thought, and I may end up going that route if I can fit the steering linkage back there.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Try making a cage for the rear using some styrene. It glues up real fast and you can bend it easily with a heat gun. Here's one I made for my bug.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the tip Mr. Tossedman. That does look pretty slick! My big hang-up right now is between form and function, and unfortunately this is an age-old battle when it comes to building scale rigs : /

With the swb STRC chassis, you get the option of mounting the battery up front with factory scx10 stuff, or finding your own way. The same holds true for the motor and transmission assembly. It goes together JUST like a factory scx10 with all the same stuff for the most part. Nothing wrong with that. A very pleasant build really - If you're content with your driver and passenger sitting neck-deep in a resiny grave... Here is where I'm losing sleep. Put it together the way the good folks behind the desk intended, call it good and drive it like I stole it - OR not do any of that (except the last step) try and figure out how to fit a separate motor and t-case under there, and make this build thread a few pages longer!

Oh, this is getting an 1/8th scale power plant btw ; )
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Looks good already. I say front mounted motor. Custom is always more fun imo.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you already know which way you're going. So get cracking.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I'm already started. Custom 4 door unimog. Custom scx trans mount with custom 3d printed skid for rc4wd hammer t case.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for going off topic btw. Lets get back to your bug.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

All the bug builds are great! Keep up the killer work. Super clean so far
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post
Sorry for going off topic btw. Lets get back to your bug.

No worries! Looks like you're having fun with your build as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
All the bug builds are great! Keep up the killer work. Super clean so far
Thanks Mr. Bananaman! Glad you're enjoying

Not much to update unfortunately, but I did switch from the VP knuckles and chubs to the STRC units.

Not that I couldn't use the extra steering or anything, but it's a bad deal when your knuckles scrub your tires, and I wasn't running VP hubs. So they had to go!

Still not too bad for a semi-scale monster-Vdub lol. I did end up making my own steering linkage, but that was no biggie.

Now that we officially have our roller, time to concentrate on other goodies.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Oooo. Pretty
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Reflektr gets bugged-out! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reflektr builds a... Umm... I dunno what!? Reflektr 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 06-01-2016 07:45 AM
Reflektr builds a TF2 Reflektr RC4WD Trail Finder 2 50 05-08-2016 12:43 PM
My Just Bugged 2.2 jlsandkes 2.2 Scale Rigs 15 11-06-2012 08:56 AM