Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Reflektr gets bugged-out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Reflektr gets bugged-out!

Hiya pals and gals! Long time no see! Everyone have a good summer? Good. Me too. Well enough of the "Hi, how are ya's", anyone who's met me knows I love to chat, but let's get down to brass tacks, shall we?

Awhile back I did something foolish (I know... Hard to believe...) and I built a set of these currie axles all the local guys keep jiving about. Not sure what possessed me to, but I guess I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. They were fun to build but the hype quickly wore off when I realized I didn't have anything to put them on...

So I did what any of us would do and threw them in the corner until I thought of a cool and unusual build to throw them on. After some deep thought, I came up with this:

I wanted to do a swb build that wasn't a Jeep or a lexan body, and this was the only one that stood out. Still hung up on what I want to do for a chassis and drivetrain. While this is a just for fun build, I do want it to perform well. I'm considering the STRC swb chassis, and trying to figure out a motor-forward setup so I can have an interior. Either that or the gcm skeleton, providing it would work with the sand scorcher body.

Who knows!? Stay tuned!
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Reflektr gets bugged-out!

Very nice! I'm also on the fence wanting to do a bug build. The curries are a great place to start.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
Very nice! I'm also on the fence wanting to do a bug build. The curries are a great place to start.
Thank you sir! I've been wanting to do this for awhile but just haven't got around to it. I must have spent hours googling sand scorcher builds lol. Finding the chassis to tie this all together and fit everything under that tiny shell (and look right) is going to be a challenge!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflektr View Post
Hiya pals and gals! Long time no see! Everyone have a good summer? Good. Me too. Well enough of the "Hi, how are ya's", anyone who's met me knows I love to chat, but let's get down to brass tacks, shall we?

Awhile back I did something foolish (I know... Hard to believe...) and I built a set of these currie axles all the local guys keep jiving about. Not sure what possessed me to, but I guess I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. They were fun to build but the hype quickly wore off when I realized I didn't have anything to put them on...

So I did what any of us would do and threw them in the corner until I thought of a cool and unusual build to throw them on. After some deep thought, I came up with this:

I wanted to do a swb build that wasn't a Jeep or a lexan body, and this was the only one that stood out. Still hung up on what I want to do for a chassis and drivetrain. While this is a just for fun build, I do want it to perform well. I'm considering the STRC swb chassis, and trying to figure out a motor-forward setup so I can have an interior. Either that or the gcm skeleton, providing it would work with the sand scorcher body.

Who knows!? Stay tuned!
so cool,, i like it
arbakrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice, another bug! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm doing a Tamiya bug build right now. It's a challenge to work with these tiny bodies and get everything to fit. Check it out. Can't wait to see what you come up with
venomous98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
Nice, another bug! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous98 View Post
I'm doing a Tamiya bug build right now. It's a challenge to work with these tiny bodies and get everything to fit. Check it out. Can't wait to see what you come up with
Thanks guys! Yeah, I can't wait to see what I come up with either...

The more I look at the little bitty schnoz on that body, the more I'm envisioning nightmares revolving around how to cram a servo up there with the proper linkage, and have a motor-forward setup without having the body 3 feet in the air. That's why I'm thinking the skeleton chassis, but it from the pictures of it under the JK body it may be too long. Bow to stern that body specs at what, 16"? Which puts the chassis at 15" at least, which is still 2" too long... I may wind up making something...
Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Good luck on your bug build. Loved putting mine together. I originally was thinking front mounted motor with transfer case but found space was a little too tight for everything I wanted under the body. Hope you are successful.

As you can see with mine I used a shortened ascender chassis and skid to get to the short wheelbase.

jebster's monster beetle remake
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Whats the wheel base on that body
ossipeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Put the motor in the back. It's how a true beetle runs anyway. Build the back seat (if you add one) over the motor/trans. That would leave the under hood space for your servo and maybe electronics and battery too.
Whatever you decide, have fun! (I'm sure you will).
Scotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
Good luck on your bug build. Loved putting mine together. I originally was thinking front mounted motor with transfer case but found space was a little too tight for everything I wanted under the body. Hope you are successful.

As you can see with mine I used a shortened ascender chassis and skid to get to the short wheelbase.

jebster's monster beetle remake
That turned out pretty smooth. Good job! By hook or by crook, I'll find a way to stash that motor-forward setup ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeecrawler View Post
Whats the wheel base on that body
On the fat-side of 9". The thin side of 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotski View Post
Put the motor in the back. It's how a true beetle runs anyway. Build the back seat (if you add one) over the motor/trans. That would leave the under hood space for your servo and maybe electronics and battery too.
Whatever you decide, have fun! (I'm sure you will).
You may be onto something man, considering a shorty lipo would fit up front with a servo, the motor would fit out back, you could still have a t-case in the center, and an electronics tray on either side of the t-case for rx and speed control.... You'd still have weight-bias and a realistic rear-engine hoopty with unrealistic realistic 4wd! Thank you for helping to occupy my already full mind. I'll message you when I'm lying awake thinking about this at 3am You're alright lol.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Little more progress on this ol' girl this morning. Decided I'd give the strc swb chassis a whirl. First thoughts - It's a sweet little piece of machinery. Fits together nicely, and it seems very solid.

Told myself if things didn't work out and I had to make my own frame for this build, I could always use it for something down the road like a Toyota, or some kind of fake Jerp...

Seems to mock up ok, minus the links. Not that there's anything wrong with what was included, I just may end up making my own and using Traxxas rod ends. The chassis seems to fit the body ok with the exception of this:

...but I think we can work with that...

And this is sort of what I'm shooting for as far as ride height, wb, etc...

Hoping I can get some links sorted out and have a roller within the next few days. We'll see!
Old 10-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

the rear of the frame looks good where it is at if you cut out the back of the body and put a scale engine there.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Awesome start! Dig the curries and that you're sticking with the short wheelbase. The bugs are definitely super fun and different to build around (my C1 is based on a scorcher body).

You might check out Sam's Bug, he did a CMS / forward trans setup. Sam's Baja Bug

Also here's the motor I used on mine, it's $$$, but really nice. Scale engine replica for tamiya sand scorcher and (RP9VZ8KFJ) by snavon
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
the rear of the frame looks good where it is at if you cut out the back of the body and put a scale engine there.
That's a good suggestion and I've thought about it, but if I did a scale engine with a mandatory stinger, I'd be afraid I would break it : /

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Awesome start! Dig the curries and that you're sticking with the short wheelbase. The bugs are definitely super fun and different to build around (my C1 is based on a scorcher body).

You might check out Sam's Bug, he did a CMS / forward trans setup. Sam's Baja Bug

Also here's the motor I used on mine, it's $$$, but really nice. Scale engine replica for tamiya sand scorcher and (RP9VZ8KFJ) by snavon
Thanks man! I scoped out your bug thread and it did turn out pretty awesome. Yeah, trying to fit a frame and all the trimmings under that body is a hoot lol. I'm hoping that this will be somewhat capable when it's done. The short wheelbase may take away from that, but I'm hoping those heavy Curries help keep the bug shiny-side-up!

Not much to show really, as I'm still chomping at the bit to get back to the shop (where I foolishly left my tap and die set...) so I can start whipping up some links for this. I did however throw down a little color on the body and the Gmade bare steelies...

Don't hate on the color...lol. I was going to paint it baby-blue to match the FJ, but my girlfriend must have needed it more... Ehem... But anywho. I'll dress it down with some flat black and we'll see where it goes!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm really digging tis build, and as far as the color, I love it. What is it?
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
I'm really digging tis build, and as far as the color, I love it. What is it?
Thank you! It's been fun so far...lol. The color is a Testor's rattle-can, just copper I believe. It comes out super fast, it's paper-thin, and dries in minutes. And it's flat as a board! Good stuff. I like it. Don't go falling in love with it though, I may have other plans!

...Or do I...?

If I can score some 8-32 allthread before I go home, I just may have some links mocked up tonight. I'll be glad to get this little piggy standing on it's own.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Well I managed to swing by the farm store after work and grab a few lengths of 8-32 allthread to mock up some links. Brass was all they had, which is cool because you can cut it with a spoon, and it bends like putty ; ) I goofed around for awhile and finally came up with something to accommodate the short wheelbase and I think I nailed it...

I thought about using straight links for simplicity but then I though "Hey, why not bend them!? Just for kicks..." So I did. It's only brass mockage. Psshh... And I actually kind of like the sinister vibe it has. Oh, and clearance is also a plus.

The more I fool around with this build, the more I become attached to it for some reason. I'm liking the little challenges it presents with keeping the short wheelbase and get things to fit and whatnot. Hence my next challenge:

I would like to keep the front of the frame tucked under the schnoz, but unfortunately that pulls the body forward and screws with the wheel well alignment. I could shorten the rear links which would be a pain and possibly hinder performance as well as prohibit the future use of different bodies, etc.... Or I could delete the fenders and not have a care in the world because I live in Central IL and don't plan on taking it to a comp.... Or I could whack the schnoz where it contacts the frame, make the body align with the wheels, and fab up some nifty bumpers to hide the exposed frame/servo.... So many options!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I like the copper, looks good on the bug!
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I like the copper, looks good on the bug!
That's two of us now! Copper has gotta stay!
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Reflektr gets bugged-out! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reflektr builds a... Umm... I dunno what!? Reflektr 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 06-01-2016 07:45 AM
Reflektr builds a TF2 Reflektr RC4WD Trail Finder 2 50 05-08-2016 12:43 PM
My Just Bugged 2.2 jlsandkes 2.2 Scale Rigs 15 11-06-2012 08:56 AM