Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

Update 25 – March 12, 2018:

I would say that I have less than 10% is to do on this build and most of that are scale details and accessories.

A safety chain was added to the body clip securing the sand ladders to the cage, there will be no losing of that sucker when out on the trails!

The snorkel was installed with a nice consistent gap, I just need to figure out how to make good looking working scale band clamps to secure it to the cage.

The lenses are installed including their respective brush guards and the all-important Land Rover insignia at the back.

For the lighting I decided to mimic the “driving down the road” look, with no turn, stop or back-up lights, as I find those annoying when out driving on the trails.

In the process of fabricating the wiring harness’ for the LED, I had to separate the clear from the colored LED by making 2 separate harness, one for the clear and the other for the colored.

For some odd reason, the moment a single clear or colored LED was installed on the same daisy chain of the other type, every LED on that harness would shut down.

I still can’t explain that one, especially considering that every LED I installed are of the same brand/kit, voltage requirements, etc.!

Also, I had to power the LED controller thru the receiver, which means I now have wires connecting the body to the chassis, which I did not want!

The damn thing has a power requirement of 5-6 VDC, so much for using a separate 2S LiPo hidden underneath the spare tire as a LED power source!

D
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Update 26 – March 14, 2018:

I just spent a solid 8 hours making a single scale accessory for project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup; a Radio Shack HTX-242, 2-meter amateur VHF transceiver.

Big props to my good friend Normand for all his help and info to make this item, since he owns a HTX-242 and his a holder of a HAM license.

The transceiver and the hand set are made out of hand carved and painted laminated styrene sheets.

Also, before someone mentions it, yes the built-in cooling fins are thicker than they should be, but at scale they would be 0.013” thick each and every attempt I did to make them thinner resulted in loss or damage to the fins, so I went thicker!

The mounting bracket is made of .020” thick aluminum plate that was cut, bent, drilled and finished, with wonderful to work with M1 hardware!

In between stints of painting/detailing of the transceiver/ handset, I made checkered aluminum plate “carpets” for the cab some and I added some simulated wear to them.

Now, I just need to figure out where to install the HTX-242 kit inside the cab.

D
Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

The CB turned out Fantastic! Very detailed build so far. I like your sand ladder mount ideal as well
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
The CB turned out Fantastic! Very detailed build so far. I like your sand ladder mount ideal as well
Thank you.

The transmitter body being only 4mm thick was a real PITA to carve out the details with my shaky hands.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Update 27 – March 15, 2018:

A quick “before dinner” scale detail on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup.
How to turn the following items (from left to right, bottom to top) into something awesome: jewelry crimp tubes and thimbles, recycled springs from an old inkjet printer, eye pins for bead jewelry and 30 lbs. test fishing leaders...

Limb risers for the D90, oh yeah!

After looking at the commercially (COT) available RC limb riser kits and not being satisfied with their actual scale and/or appearance, I decided to make my own limb risers.

My biggest issue with the COT kits is that they use 1/16” steel cables (0.063”), no tensioning devices (hello stress/stretched cables during rollovers) and use 3mm eye bolts.

Most 1:1 limb riser kits have 1/4” cables which translate in 1:10 scale to 0.025” cables.

The fishing leaders I used have a diameter of 0.022” and cable tensioning devices in the form of 2mm outside diameter springs, albeit it’s not turnbuckles, cause let’s face it making 1/4” turnbuckles in 1:10 scale is borderline impossible!

The eye pins fit thru the hole of the 1mm bolts holding the checkered plate on the fenders, so I can reverse the installation if I want to, and the overall look is more to my liking!

D
Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by valheru View Post
Update 25 – March 12, 2018:

This might be the neatest wire management I've ever seen on an R/C, especially for a place that isn't normally visible. Bravo.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
This might be the neatest wire management I've ever seen on an R/C, especially for a place that isn't normally visible. Bravo.
Thank you, my wife keeps telling me I am OCD, she might be on to something!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Update 28 – March 16, 2018:

What is an off-road vehicle without a basic tool kit and a roll of good old shop towels?

First I made a the roll of blue shop towels, where the cardboard core is a painted styrene tube and the towels are actual blue shop towels cut to size and rolled onto the core.

Secondly was a tool kit made of laminated styrene sheets that are hand carved to the final shape, and “sticker bombed” with the help of my stash of RC promotional stickers that I accumulated over the years.

D
Old 06-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Wow! Very well done! I’m waiting on my D110 to arrive and this is such an inspirational thread!

Keep up the dedication and meticulous detail to attention!!!
Gagak Rimang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagak Rimang View Post
Wow! Very well done! I’m waiting on my D110 to arrive and this is such an inspirational thread!

Keep up the dedication and meticulous detail to attention!!!
Thank you, Team Raffee bodies are awesome to work with their level of detail out of the box.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Update 29 – March 17, 2017:

The detailing of the dash is completed and ready for installation into the cab.

It comes with a legacy route planification / orientation aid (a road map) and a high powered hand held communication device.

Also included is the all-important “race” steering wheel with visual rotation referencing device (a strip of red electrical tape at 12 o’clock).

D
Old 06-11-2018, 06:13 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Update 30 – March 18, 2018:

I finished assembling the interior of project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup, and I even found myself an almost perfectly scaled Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson to drive my rock crawler!

Only issue with having The Rock on the rocks is that he is kind of a pig with his vehicles, I’ll have to talk to him about keeping things tidier in the future, and to put more effort in hiding his contraband from the race marshals than just stashing it behind his seat...

Otherwise, all the standard kit is present; fire extinguisher, basic tool kit, roll of shop towels, laptop for analyzing your performances after your last run and the good old “go, go fun juice” for when you need to get up that hill before the other guys!

D

Last edited by valheru; 06-11-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Update 31 – March 19, 2018

Project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup is 98% completed, the interior and the dash have been mounted.

I made some front and rear UK license plates and my own bungee strap which I used to mount the jerry cans, and yes, the front plate was mounted crooked on purpose.

Also in the mix is a scratch built wooden crate to hold some of the recovery gear this truck will carry around on the trails.

D
Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Update 32 – March 20, 2018

Things are slowing down on this project as I chase down the final details of this build.

Speaking if which, one detail that has been annoying me for a while was the gap between the body and the floor of the interior, which could’ve been easily fixed with CA glue, but was not an option in my case as I want to retain the ability to remove the interior in the future.

Therefore, I made “L” shaped aluminum brackets that slide on one end on a plastic stud found on the underside of the floor, and the second end is screwed thru the body below the door in the rocker, which as for effect of clamping the 2 pieces together, and the whole thing is reversible.

I like simple solutions, that are clean and seamless, and in that spirit, the head of the bolt that goes thru the body is hidden underneath the checkered plate that runs the whole length of the rocker panel.

D
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Update 33 – March 21, 2018

Did a few simulations in Photoshop for the labels/stickers of project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup, these are the 2 that I liked most.

D
Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Update 34 – March 24, 2018

Progress on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup; we are now equipped with a land anchor for self-recovery operations with the winch.

The blade and reinforcement plate are recycled steel from an old filing cabinet, the body of the land anchor is mandrel bent 1/4” steel brake lines and the final assembly is silver brazed.

This was a fun little scale accessory that had been on my want list since the beginning, I even made a nice mounting bracket that holds the anchor in place with rare earth magnets.

Also, I added to the body the front Land Rover and Defender emblems which really finish off the overall look.

D
Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #57
I joined the Band!

I'm speechless!!!!! details are there.. so WOW factor!!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
I'm speechless!!!!! details are there.. so WOW factor!!!!
Thank you
Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

That is simply amazing. Question what is your thickness of styrene you use for most of your stuff?
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Nice metal fab. Is that a metal break made for a vise? Where did you get that from.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

D90 Winch Challenge Pickup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From D90 to D110 pickup Binnendoor 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 09-27-2017 01:44 PM
D90 pickup J55TTC 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 09-02-2017 01:05 PM
1.7 D90 pickup THEmicroRR 1.5 Scale Rigs 10 03-25-2014 11:00 PM