Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 2008 1.9 Trojen Tundra (smog)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Slow is the new Fast

Default 2008 1.9 Trojen Tundra (smog)

The Chassis was Fabricated by Troy of Trojen Fab. Originally came across his work from mewalsh100's build thread here on RCC.

I have been wanting to build a 2nd generation Tacoma for some time. I have been driving this one since 08. Sadly no such scale body exists(to my knowledge). Still my current ride serves as the inspiration for the build

This is in no way an attempt to reproduce the truck in scale detail. Its all fo fun.

I have been sitting on this Chassis for a good year or so, but the release of Axial's Raw Builders Kit made it easy for me to grab all of the bones to give it some structure.

Needed to build a cab-back for the Tamiya Body

Substituted in Vader Transmission Skid and some Traxxas 2661 shocks. The Vader skid is great, I love the smooth clearance. First time with these Traxxas shocks, so we shall see. reviews on RCC seem favorable.

After managing and waiting on the many missing pieces from the Axial kit I have got a decent mock-up of the Tundy, complete with bronze wheels to color match my 1:1.

Stuffing:

1.Tekin FXR with a Tekin 35T hand wound motor
2.Axial OG trans with Ar44 axles
3.Vader Trans skid
4.Traxxas 2661 Big Bore Shocks with axial springs
5.Proline Hyrax Tires, Class 1
6.12.0" WB

It's a start!

Thanks for checking it out. Feedback welcomed

There is much to do yet

Last edited by smog; 12-11-2018 at 09:48 PM.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2008 1.9 Trojen Tundra (smog)

Love me a Yoder.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

very nice
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

every rig needs a battery tray. Not every rig needs a CMS, but I want one and this chassis didn't come fabricated with any such mount. The SCX2 has a pretty cool piece that sets up a side-by-side battery tray and servo mount. its has both running front to back between the upper shock mounts. In my mind I had to make it work. Not all of the holes on the chassis lined up with mount points on the tray/servo mount piece. The chassis was also slightly wide for the piece to fit cleanly. So I filled the space using some styrene and I attached the tray at 4 points that I managed to line up. Looks like this:

The CMS link mount was a part of the front shock hoop on the SCX2 and simply wasn't going to work. I thought about designing a piece and tryng to have it fabricated locally, but then I figured I would first just try cutting this one off of the shock mount hoop and sand it to fit on the chassis rail. Appears to have worked

Unfortunately the kit link was too short, but rather than make one I just filled the needed 7mm with some aluminum spacers. Feels as solid as a turd in a snowbank and keeps the beautiful look of these links

A quick check to be sure that the CMS link cleared the upper link mounts on the front axle housing...left me a smilin'

I wanted to try swapping out for some 100mm shocks in the rear as the bro-lean was hurting my eyes. I grabbed a pair of these decent value GMade RSD shocks at my LHS. Beautiful scale shocks, I mean, they look really good. Too bad the spring rate is so off. Cant believe they allow them to leave Korea with such a f'd up spring rate.

Think I might try the Traxxas 2662 100mm Big Bore. If anyone knows of a full length spring that I can pair with them I would love to hear about them.

Thanks for looking. Feedback welcomed
Old 12-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm not an expert on springs, but I do know from experience that Axial Bomber/Wraith/Yeti springs fit Traxxas aluminum Big Bores perfectly - I ordered the grey-painted ones in various spring rates because I was ridding my Bomber build of all that damn blue....

Nice rig, BTW!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I'm not an expert on springs, but I do know from experience that Axial Bomber/Wraith/Yeti springs fit Traxxas aluminum Big Bores perfectly - I ordered the grey-painted ones in various spring rates because I was ridding my Bomber build of all that damn blue....

Nice rig, BTW!

Awesome Durok, thanks for the tip, thanks for the complement! The SCX2 springs fit the the 2661 Big Bore really nicely, but a bit short on the 100mm 2662. I will check out the Wraith springs.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Holy CRAP smog!!! That's Beautiful. NICE build. Is that the Tamiya Tundra Body?
In the time I've been away, the standards have REALLY gone up here!!! I hope I can measure up.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:35 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
Holy CRAP smog!!! That's Beautiful. NICE build. Is that the Tamiya Tundra Body?
In the time I've been away, the standards have REALLY gone up here!!! I hope I can measure up.
Thank you for saying so. There is a certain Beauty in simplicity. Yes, first hard body since my grasshopper back in the 80’s They have a somethin-somethin.

Trojen fabricated an incredible piece. Life is good . I suspect I will keep this build simple, I do like clean lines.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Whoa! I nearly missed this just stumbled here for... Research? ;)

Nice work! Truggy build hard bodies are where its at.
And that trojen is gorgeous!
Also really dig the color combo on your rig. Love the way those wheels pop against the grey body.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Whoa! I nearly missed this just stumbled here for... Research? ;)

Nice work! Truggy build hard bodies are where its at.
And that trojen is gorgeous!
Also really dig the color combo on your rig. Love the way those wheels pop against the grey body.
Thanks Shinchu! Been a long time since I built with a hard body. It's a treat!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Bent some metal to make a spot for the ESC/Rx. Bolted it up to the drivers side of the chassis

Looks like a fit

Taped the electrics into place, tidied up the wiring and bound the Tx/Rx

Connected my steering links and gave her a basement test run

The front suspension isn't articulating so great on the passenger side. I am going to have to tinker with the CMS link and the shock
Old 12-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You snuck under my radar with this build until now smog! The rig is looking killer and love how you created the CMS set up! Looking sweet man!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

P.S. - are those Injora wheels?
Old 12-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
You snuck under my radar with this build until now smog! The rig is looking killer and love how you created the CMS set up! Looking sweet man!
Thanks mewalsh, it’s been a fun one so far! I really like Troy’s design. Great style and low weight for a steel chassis. Your build thread motivated me

I like having the servo tucked up under the body, however I have definitely lost some articulation on the passenger side up front. It’s definitely a trade-off.
Quote:
P.S. - are those Injora wheels?
Yep, those are Injora wheels. They are very nice and the tires mounted ridiculously easy. I am a bit conflicted however as I suspect the design was taken from the SSD Assassin....so I went and purchased a set of SSD’s new Slot Wheels and a set of complete AR44 axles
Old 12-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I asked because I just ordered those exact same wheels for the Sporto last week. I guess it’s true, great minds think alike!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Man, I need to budget for a truggy cage build one of these days...

Super nice!

I have a set of Injoras that I mounted my boiled-off stock Ascender TSLs onto... cheap wheels for cheap tires!

I also have ordered some SSD steelies outta guilt, but also have SSD brass parts on the Ascender and full SSD Diamond axles for Bomber #2.

(I may be ordering even more SSD stuff for another yet-to-be-purchased vehicle soon)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Man, I need to budget for a truggy cage build one of these days...

Super nice!

I have a set of Injoras that I mounted my boiled-off stock Ascender TSLs onto... cheap wheels for cheap tires!

I also have ordered some SSD steelies outta guilt, but also have SSD brass parts on the Ascender and full SSD Diamond axles for Bomber #2.

(I may be ordering even more SSD stuff for another yet-to-be-purchased vehicle soon)
The Custom Cage is a treat build up. This is my first one. I had been looking into building something for the Tundra body and couldnt get past this option.

SSD is producing nice products at very fair value. Its frickin' awesome! If only the Canadian dollar would just get out of the toilet...

Alright swapped out the silver 'beadlock ' bolts to black ones. Needed to make that silver disappear. Need to draw the eyes to that sexy bronze

Old 12-31-2018, 03:29 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Is that Shaggy balancing the truck on his head?

What a freak!

Cool trick with the blacked-out hardware, I did that on a set of LURC wheels...
Old 12-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Well, I don't feel too guilty about the wheels. SSD will be getting a small fortune from me in the near future in parts for the Sporto. Portal covers, weights, etc.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #20
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Is that Shaggy balancing the truck on his head?

What a freak!

Cool trick with the blacked-out hardware, I did that on a set of LURC wheels...
Shaggy, the secret X-Men member!

Quote:
Well, I don't feel too guilty about the wheels. SSD will be getting a small fortune from me in the near future in parts for the Sporto. Portal covers, weights, etc.
I hear ya. For me wheels are actually the one place where I am usually okay cutting costs. Some aftermarket wheels are priced insanely

2008 1.9 Trojen Tundra (smog) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Angrychair's 1.9 truggy build GMRC Trojen RC Fab angrchair 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 11-21-2018 10:15 PM
"White Python" 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax SR5 4dr Leer Cab Built with Tamiya Tundra clarketian 1.9 Scale Rigs 107 01-25-2016 05:16 AM
Out of the SMOG - A Twin Hammers smog Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 12-19-2015 07:45 PM
2008 Ducati Toyota Tundra Transporter STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 9 04-14-2009 03:26 PM
HRCC's 2008 SUMMER SERIES, JUNE 8,2008: KAENA POINT RydeFab Competitions 2 06-09-2008 04:48 PM