Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Tommy R's TTC Build - "Big Oly"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I'm also thinking of replacing the outer stainless screws with black ones to make them less noticeable, but leave the inner screws silver so they look like lug nuts. Thoughts?
Looking good Tommy. I really like the start on the interior, that's going to be great when finished.

As for the screws on the beadlock, I replaced all mine on the lowrider TJ with black oxide screws. Definitely gives it a different look. Whether you like it or not is really up to you. I did, except when they rusted
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #302
Moderator Rule Breaker

The hubs look better.

I would leave the ss screws. I had black oxidation screws in my VP wheels. I never ran them in water and only wash them cleaning. I ended having to slot cutting them to get them out.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #303
~THE SCALE SHOP~

man this thing is really coming along! love the new tube and interior work.
glad the rc4wd hubs worked out for ya. i thought they should.
any plans to tie the two upper tubes in the front together?
i could have swore it had at least one before on the shock hoops?

looking damn good!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #304
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, y'all...

Cory, do you mean a cross brace to tie my shock towers together? Like this?

As you can see, it was really close to the motor. I lowered the shock towers to get more droop and less bump travel so that would mean it would go right through the motor now. It's all very rigid up there, though. I don't suspect movement to be an issue.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #305
I wanna be Dave

This is the last bit of progress 'til I get back from our trip to New Orleans this weekend. This is what I'm envisioning for the bed structure. Essentially, I want it to look like a fairly heavily modified stock bed. Thoughts?

It's far from done and everything is just loosely placed right now. I also still need to figure out how I want to mount everything so it's all nice and rigid. It will have to be in multiple pieces to allow me to install/remove it.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #306
Pebble Pounder

looking really good tommy, for mounting i would just braze or weld some nuts in the corners of each pieceand bolt it down, that should be plenty rigid
luke-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #307
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-o View Post
looking really good tommy, for mounting i would just braze or weld some nuts in the corners of each pieceand bolt it down, that should be plenty rigid
Thanks, man! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking....weld some nuts to the cage. The floors have spots to screw down to, but this will be for the sides of the bed and inner fenders.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #308
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks, man! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking....weld some nuts to the cage. The floors have spots to screw down to, but this will be for the sides of the bed and inner fenders.
what if you just made a little extension from the lower part of the rear cage that goes around the fender and weld a nut to that? if you did one per fender that should be good
luke-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #309
Pebble Pounder

this build thread is just AWESOME!

Tommy u da man!!!

rating!!

now u just turned me into a scale lover.
JonehRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #310
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-o View Post
what if you just made a little extension from the lower part of the rear cage that goes around the fender and weld a nut to that? if you did one per fender that should be good
Well, I figured out a way to get the bed in w/o having to weld in any more nuts. I'll grab some pics tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonehRC View Post
this build thread is just AWESOME!

Tommy u da man!!!

rating!!

now u just turned me into a scale lover.
Thanks, man. Scalers are great. Comp stuff doesn't even remotely interest me anymore.

I've been working on the interior and have gotten quite a bit done and I'm very pleased with it. I'll take some pics tonight and share them. I'm finally.....FINALLY....beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this build!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #311
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm finally.....FINALLY....beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with this build!
First post: 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM. Was your 2010 New Years resolution to finish this build before you had to make a New Years resolution for 2011? 52 days, dude. You can do it!
Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #312
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
First post: 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM. Was your 2010 New Years resolution to finish this build before you had to make a New Years resolution for 2011? 52 days, dude. You can do it!
OMG! I can't believe it's been nearly a year! I would've had this thing done a LONG time ago if I hadn't gotten so sidetracked back in April with the hot rod build. Ah well, better late than never I suppose. Assuming I can get some time to work on it, it should be all done within the next couple weeks. The interior is really taking shape nicely and shouldn't be but a few more evenings of work. Then I should only have to finish/clean up the weld/braze joints, paint, and then re-assemble. Can't wait!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #313
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
OMG! I can't believe it's been nearly a year! I would've had this thing done a LONG time ago if I hadn't gotten so sidetracked back in April with the hot rod build. Ah well, better late than never I suppose.
No worries. And like I have any room to talk anyway. Once I got Small Change running and driveable, I've been too distracted actually using it before winter hits to finish the interior. The styrene I purchased well over a month ago has more dust from sitting than Small Change has from being driven.

I can't wait to see your rig done. Each iteration of tube work and component choices has been better than the last. The finished product is going to be killer.
Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #314
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
I can't wait to see your rig done. Each iteration of tube work and component choices has been better than the last. The finished product is going to be killer.
Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

So I ended up coming home for lunch today and snapped some pics of the interior as it sits right now. The styrene isn't bolted to the chassis yet, but you get the idea. I decided not to bolt the seats down. Instead I'm going to use velcro. It'll make them a lot easier to get out, but it'll also allow the seats/driver to move around ever so slightly on the trails which should make it look a bit more realistic. Now I just need to find a suitable driver! Anyway, here's some pics...

I wanted the bed to look like a stock bed that was hacked up to make room for the shock towers.

I started on a center console, too.

It's my first attempt at an interior of any sort, but I'm pleased with it so far.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #315
PapaGriz Yo

Now it's coming together Tommy! Nice work on that interior.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #316
Quarry Creeper

Where are those seats from?
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #317
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Now it's coming together Tommy! Nice work on that interior.
Thanks! Hoping to get it all bolted down tonight before I have to run off to our Jeep club meeting. I'm really wanting to see the interior DONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK View Post
Where are those seats from?
They are from Reign RC.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #318
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Thanks! Hoping to get it all bolted down tonight before I have to run off to our Jeep club meeting. I'm really wanting to see the interior DONE!
I know that feeling well....
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #319
Quarry Creeper

Just read through this whole thread.....and I got say you've done a great job on this build!!! I'll be keeping an eye on this one from now on!

.....Tom
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #320
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by th67ss View Post
Just read through this whole thread.....and I got say you've done a great job on this build!!! I'll be keeping an eye on this one from now on!

.....Tom

Thanks, Tom!

I may be done with the basic interior now. Everything is drilled and mounted. I also made new straps for the fuel cell. Here's some pics, including some "body on" shots...

And on a separate note, this thing "followed me home" from ebay the other day. Strong chance it'll be my next rig...