Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: SPV2 - FLM Chassis Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #221
Rock Crawler

on the banana and the bastard i didn't get as much rub as i did with this one. glad to hear you're going to be brainstorming some solutions. sorry if i come off as being brash but changing the placement isn't the solution and this one rides so much differently then your 50mm chassis. don't think i'm a hater. i'm just not one to settle for second best when it comes with a 60 price tag. dig? i've drawn up some ideas, maybe you could narrow the hood and trunk areas and place the mounts on both sides of those places, two up top and two below with a couple in the middle. like, take the "pyramid" mounts and double them up below as well. make sense?

i can understand the mounting the shocks above the axles but where would the batts go? for example, i use 8-saddles so i'd be left with placing them where? got a thread to share about this?

Last edited by minor_threat; 03-09-2009 at 10:16 PM.
minor_threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #222
Rock Crawler

Dig servo mount plate is done and I might add worked phenomenally well all the way through the comp.

I will post pics of the prototype plates and all the other new FLM goodies like final diff lockers, links, skid plate and beefy motor mount, universal 4-link mounts and universal battery mounts hopefully tomorrow night.

SPV2 chassis were run at the 2.2 Midwest Challenge by Jamie (FLM), Holmes, and of course myself. Holmes finished a respectable 36th in the Pro Class, I drove like a COMPLETE idiot and although I actually cleared a few gates my (cough) points were the highest in the Pro class. WHOOHOO high score... which of course put me last.

Don't blame the chassis blame the driver becuase....

Jamie at FLM bought a brand new Axial ARTR Thursday night, bolted up all his FLM based goodies at 1AM Saturday morning, borrowed a set of Eritex Comp Heavy wheels and ProLine Chisels Saturday 20 minutes before Tech/Check in and then proceeded to finish 16th in the Amateure class... impressive ... and all without dig.

Pics to follow.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #223
Quarry Creeper

I have one of these chassis and think it 's great, happen to use wider offset wheels and did not notice any problem. Would not argue about it if I did. It's a HOBBY-----like to find some of that carbon plate in post 184 very cool
miner mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #224

This is by far my favourite chassis I've purchased to date. It handles incredibly!
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #225
Quarry Creeper

This may have already been answered. I just ordered this chassis from RCmonster. I am planning on using my wheely king axles with it. I have the stock trans with an integy 55t motor. The motor plate has also been clocked. Any pointers on if I should use the stock trans? And I'm also assuming that the ax10 skid plate/trans mount would be a direct bolt on for this chassis...?? any info would help, Thanks.
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #226
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentH View Post
This may have already been answered. I just ordered this chassis from RCmonster. I am planning on using my wheely king axles with it. I have the stock trans with an integy 55t motor. The motor plate has also been clocked. Any pointers on if I should use the stock trans?
Hmm haven;t tried it with a stock WK tranny, not sure if that will work. A trimmed down Stampede tranny or RC4WD will work as well but the best and most compact tranny still is the Axial transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentH View Post
And I'm also assuming that the ax10 skid plate/trans mount would be a direct bolt on for this chassis...?? any info would help, Thanks.
Yes it is.

The only real challenges with using WK axles is that they use a 6mm output shaft and most other transmissions with the exception of the WK us 5mm outputs. This is usually just a shim or drill out fix on the drive shafts. The other issue is that the WK axles require some sort of servo plate vs. Axial has servo mount point integrated into the axle.

I was working up a WK build on the SPV2 in late Feb, then I was laid off... my RC related time has been extremely limited since spending all my time looking for a new job.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #227
Quarry Creeper

Mike from RC monster overnighted the chassis to me. I got it yesterday afternoon and its pretty much all finished up. I used the stock Wheely King trans. With a little modification I got it to fit in the chassis and I'm having a friend cut me a clocked motor plate that will put the motor on the lower side of the trans towards the bottom of the chassis. The chassis is pretty nice. The only thing that didnt line up perfect were the shocks but after some mods it worked out.

If you notice on the one side of the trans that only has on mount to the chassis, once I get my clocked motor plate it will mount from the trans to the other side of the chassis.
I will have a build thread once I get all the pictures in order. Let me know what you think of it so far. Thanks.

Last edited by BrentH; 04-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #228
Rock Crawler

Well guys... I have bombed so hard for my last (and only) two comps that I was beginning to seriously doubt my crawling ability.

Finally I have some redemption. Turns out I had some seriously bad mojo going on from a tuning perspective on the SPV2. Ahh you get out there too far outside the norm and you kind forget was stock tuning was. Gerame helped point out some grave errors after our last comp where I was Dead A## Last.

This last weekend I actually make it to the finals with a very nice handling rig after I corrected my agregas tuning errors. Wish I could have stuck around to compete in the final round, but had to head home to kill off about 500 wasps that were "Bugging" my wife.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #229
Rock Crawler

is this the flm chassis?

http://www.hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SCP14RR01&c=420

&

Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #230
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor_threat View Post
Mother $%^$'ers. Jesus, the least they could have done is asked, before they knocked the damn thing off - my licensing fee is literally nothing. Man o man... Hot Racing is as bad as Integy now. Bound to happen. So I guess this officially means that I had a good enough idea for someone to steal.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #231
Rock Crawler

i just called dan at hobbyetc..who is hot-racing...and he said they're out. the number that I used to reach them is: 603-883-4919
i tried to get him to say who's making it but he says someone local for them...maybe he lied. who knows. hope it helps. he agreed that it's a knock off, and that he wouldn't do that to my chassis.

Last edited by minor_threat; 05-14-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #232
Quarry Creeper

Tony - That officially sucks!
Arct1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #233
I wanna be Dave

Something like this "knock off", is bad for the industry. If it allowed to go un checked, it will only get worse. I would call them (or have a laywer do it) and demand that they stop it's production or sale unless they are willing to compensate you for your efforts and original design and protyping. I would support a boycot of their products if need be.

I would be glad to help you draft something up Tony. We could discuss it at the get together on the 30th if you can make it.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #234
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
Tony - That officially sucks!
Dan and Felix at Hot-Racing AKA HobbyETC both have been served cease and desist orders on the Look-a-Like SPV1/SPV2 chassis with an option to square up via a licensing agreement. If they are good reputable people and a good reputable business, they should be willing to work something out.. right?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #235
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Something like this "knock off", is bad for the industry. If it allowed to go un checked, it will only get worse. I would call them (or have a laywer do it) and demand that they stop it's production or sale unless they are willing to compensate you for your efforts and original design and protyping. I would support a boycot of their products if need be.

I would be glad to help you draft something up Tony. We could discuss it at the get together on the 30th if you can make it.
Thanks, but my MBA was is Law and I have a number of friends that are lawyers. I really appreciate the support, but let's see what they come back with first.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #236
Quarry Creeper

Thats good but I hope you doubled the price so Jamie can get a cut too...
Arct1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #237
Quarry Creeper

I am very tired of seeing all these knock offs. I have been here with the spv2 chassis since Tony first posted up the prototype. I remember all the time that was spent into changes. Along with the help of John over at Holmes this chassis turned out great. I have one and love it. Did these guys over @ hot racing put the time into their knockoff, I doubt it. sorry for venting but seeing a big company steal the ideas off the little guys and make a buck on it really pisses me off. Tony I know you will do all you can to get what you deserve from this ripoff, and i too hope you raised your fees. Good luck and remember you have many supporters here as you do with all your builds.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #238
Rock Crawler

FLM SPV2 Hard Case
Custom Hard Tail Crawler
By Tony Arnold - StampedeProject.com

Yet another "what the hell can I build with crap I have laying around project". After many years, I have seemed to amassed a huge pile of parts that could make some very cool RC's with a little creativity and effort.
In this case I scrounged around the corners of my basement and garage and ended up with enough parts to net a $0 cost build and something truly unique and in this case a Hard Tail crawler. I really haven't seen many hard tail crawlers out there... in fact I don't recall seeing any.
Functionally I'll have to wait and see how it performs, but from an "in theory" perspective, it's a sound idea. No rear shocks, therefore no chassis torque twist and with the LOOOONNG Wheelie King shocks up front in full droop, I still get about a wheel height's of articulation which is about perfect.

Here is the parts list:
HPI Wheely King Axles and Front Shocks
RCP High Clearance Knuckles with CVDs
EMaxx/Revo Pushrods for Steering and Rear Lock out Links
FLM Extended Stampede Black Link as the Servo Steering Link
RC-Guy.com Servo Mount
Tower Hobbies MG Servo
FLM SPV2 Chassis with the nose bent inward to meet with a FLM SPV2 55mm spacer
Axial Front Aluminum Links, plastic Upper Links, Driveshafts, and Transmission Plate
Axial Links for rear lock out
Axial Rear Red Billet Links
Heavily modified Traxxas Stampede Trasmission with locked Diff
Proline Beadlocks and M3 Masher 2000 Tires
M'Troniks ECO20 - FYI this ESC sucks!
Axiom 85T motor
Kyosho RX
Scrape Lexan for all the body panels prayed black with Scotch Extreme Duct Tape Applied on the exterior.

I do need to shorten the front links since I am measuring in at 13".

Many will definitely notice the nose being bent in on this project. This is something I have been playing around with since the beginning of the year when FLM cut some Delrin SPV2 chassis and it works great. For all those people that had a problem with how the front shocks were laid out... this seems to solve the problem. Noting this will void the warranty, but a gentle bend inward and redrill on the nose holes to allight them for the new screw angle and you can screw in a standard 55mm Axial or FLM spacer. I have been running my Comp Rig this way for some time now and done two other builds including this one which have all worked out great.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #239
I wanna be Dave

I think I like it, the only problem I see with the hardtail is if the skid is high centered you don't have any droop for the rear to bring it down to get the tires to contact, but it should work pretty well for the most part... especially for a "free" build. I think people will still keep softtails for their comp rigs, until you start winning and maybe people will follow suit. (Probably why there aren't any hardtail crawlers today.)

Where's that truck-ish design you were talking about before? (great minds think alike... ring any bells?) I'm finally getting my 2nd version cut and should have it soon. I found a little bit different way to get the shocks outboard, but still keep the 3" USRCCA minimums (without bending anything.) It involves 2 seperate pieces, but I think it should work very well.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #240
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I think I like it, the only problem I see with the hardtail is if the skid is high centered you don't have any droop for the rear to bring it down to get the tires to contact, but it should work pretty well for the most part... especially for a "free" build. I think people will still keep softtails for their comp rigs, until you start winning and maybe people will follow suit. (Probably why there aren't any hardtail crawlers today.)
Yeah, I talked to Bender about this and his thought was to try it and see what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Where's that truck-ish design you were talking about before? (great minds think alike... ring any bells?) I'm finally getting my 2nd version cut and should have it soon. I found a little bit different way to get the shocks outboard, but still keep the 3" USRCCA minimums (without bending anything.) It involves 2 seperate pieces, but I think it should work very well.
Waiting waiting waiting. Jamie has been really involved in other project for the moment, so mine got back burnered.