Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: New Axial RTC Budget Build................

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #61
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brplatz View Post
Well I just called my LHS and they said they have one there that they will sell to me!

So I'll pick it up tomorow and tell you all how it is!

Damn exciting, even after years of flying $1000 helis

ok we are waiting!!!!!!
gunatrytocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

Check out the other thread i just posted some pics, tomorow i will have video and more pics!
Brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Hello,
I’m gathering money from some time to get the ARTR version…looks a good deal to me with all the hop-ups included…but now, you release the ARC version, with some more goodies inside, new shock, better electronics than RTR version, some elements from ARTR too, so I’m totally confused now…I’m rookie, even if I’m old enough…don’t need the radio system, have already an 55t motor from Axial, thinking of a novak rooster crawler for use with lipo, but don’t know what to do now…will those new shocks be available (replace the old models) in all your kits soon? I still think the ARTR is better equipped for crawl…help me please with some of your thoughts…
Thanks and sorry for taken your time with mine undecision…
cornel4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #64
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornel4web View Post
Hello,
I’m gathering money from some time to get the ARTR version…looks a good deal to me with all the hop-ups included…but now, you release the ARC version, with some more goodies inside, new shock, better electronics than RTR version, some elements from ARTR too, so I’m totally confused now…I’m rookie, even if I’m old enough…don’t need the radio system, have already an 55t motor from Axial, thinking of a novak rooster crawler for use with lipo, but don’t know what to do now…will those new shocks be available (replace the old models) in all your kits soon? I still think the ARTR is better equipped for crawl…help me please with some of your thoughts…
Thanks and sorry for taken your time with mine undecision…
I would still go with the new RTC version, even if you already have a radio, motor and ESC. You can run the stock electronics in something else, if need be. The RTC is the most capable crawler from Axial yet. The new shocks and lower ride height make a huge difference in how it performs.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Mine comes in tommorrow. CAN'T WAIT!
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #66
TLZ

How many cells can the ESC handle? I can't find any specs for it on the axial website... Also, have you figured out the torque that steering servo is rated at? I want to get into crawling, but need to decide what to buy, this is looking really good for my first rig

Last edited by TLZ; 05-26-2009 at 11:28 PM.
TLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
They are all new springs and shocks. The fronts and right rear are "red" soft springs, and the left rear is a little stiffer "white" spring.
Got mine last week, glad I waited. Split pack batt on front axle and trimmed front fenders only mod so far.
Bender you mentioned a stiffer spring on the left rear, mine came with "white/gray" all around. The adjusters make it easy to dial in a little pre-load and your good to go.

Great balance between price and features.
HammerHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLZ View Post
How many cells can the ESC handle? I can't find any specs for it on the axial website... Also, have you figured out the torque that steering servo is rated at? I want to get into crawling, but need to decide what to buy, this is looking really good for my first rig
I don't know about the esc right now, not that I searched but for the servo Bender covered you in the previous page

Quote:
Oh, and for those that were wondering about the torque specs on the RTC servo it's rated at 132 ozs @ 6v. I couldn't find a spec for 4.8v for some reason.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #69
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLZ View Post
The ESC is rated for 12 volts, but be careful putting that much juice to it. If you're running a 55t motor it may be ok, but going down to a 27t with a 3 cell lipo may be too much. It should handle 7-8 cells, especially if they are 2/3A cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHands View Post
Got mine last week, glad I waited. Split pack batt on front axle and trimmed front fenders only mod so far.
Bender you mentioned a stiffer spring on the left rear, mine came with "white/gray" all around. The adjusters make it easy to dial in a little pre-load and your good to go.

Great balance between price and features.
Hmm, I'll have to double check the spring ratings.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #70
Rock Stacker

I just wanted to comment on the ESC thing.
I am running a 7 cell Nimh on it and it is very twitchy recently, but only when the steering servo is cranked full left or right. Almost like the esc can't handle both and the reciever doesn't get enough power, and therefore twitchy.

Ideas?

Thanks
Brian

EDIT: Oh and I had a question about the extra plastic parts that come with the rtc. Why do the plastic balls not fit into the plastic ball links? I can guarantee they don't fit, it just confuses me why include different ball ends?

Last edited by Brplatz; 05-27-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brplatz View Post
I just wanted to comment on the ESC thing.
I am running a 7 cell Nimh on it and it is very twitchy recently, but only when the steering servo is cranked full left or right. Almost like the esc can't handle both and the reciever doesn't get enough power, and therefore twitchy.

Ideas?

Thanks
Brian
You are probably right about the receiver being the cause of servo twitch/creep but if your battery is fully charged the problem is usually LOW Batteries in the Transmitter.

It's so easy to forget about the TX batteries. I'm also used to 2.4GHz stuff and never extend my AM antennas (not normally needed for crawling) but doing so when TX/RX batteries are low will give you few more mins. of run time.

FYI. The instructions show the RTC coming with a dual rate steering knob on the TX but it isn't there and isn't needed.

I was going to change out the connectors later rather than sooner so don't expect the batt/esc plugs to last very long. That reminds me.
My 5 year old grandson loves to "Drive It", he's not so good at working on it. The RTC does run great out of the box but does require some hobby/rc experience to KEEP it running.

Last edited by HammerHands; 05-28-2009 at 02:32 AM.
HammerHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I would still go with the new RTC version, even if you already have a radio, motor and ESC. You can run the stock electronics in something else, if need be. The RTC is the most capable crawler from Axial yet. The new shocks and lower ride height make a huge difference in how it performs.
except the new shocks, I still think that the aluminium arms are better on ARTR version than the plastic ones on RTC...of course for the same money you get some extra stuff...
...and I still like the orange color...
cornel4web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #73

Well I ordered an RTC, split battery pack, axle battery trays for the front axle, and a charger from TCS , picked up some wheel weights from the tire shop and got some aluminum steering knuckles and inner C's, and an aluminum motor plate from Venom on sale. I am already looking at making the rear 4-link plate and just need figure out what replacement ESC I want to get. I cant wait till it shows up at the door.
rescue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #74
Rock Stacker

Good call mate! The rtc is pretty awesome when you get right down to it. The major improvement for my was getting my weight forward and down. I made my own 4-link plates with the CAD drawings someone put up. But I have yet to make the links to use them. Splitpacks plus weight in the wheels makes it a great crawler.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #75

I am hoping I like it as much as everyone else is liking theres. Should be here tommorow or Monday.
rescue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #76
Rock Stacker

You will really be happy once you get the upgrades, they make all the difference. I live in a mountainous area so i went crawling right before dusk

Check the pics!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Thats a cool spot. What kind of body are you going to put on that?
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

sweet!
medina619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #79
RCC Addict

I wish we had rocks like that in PA
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

Hey guys thanks for the compliments.

Yah its a great spot to climb, maybe some of the fellow New Mexican's can chime in, and no I am not Mexican, I am totally white.

Here are some updates

The car as she stands now

NEW Castle Creations Sidewinder and CC 10amp BEC
She runs like a frikin champ now!

And my homemade 4-links are DONE!