Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My Frogger Buildup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
Yeah, the skid is metal...and it does stick like glue to everything.

But, I will order up an STRC Delrin skid pretty soon, and that should solve the issue.

Also, on the BEC side...no. My 2 BECs that I bought are actually ESCs with built in BECs. The packaging was misleading. They are for choppers. I have a CC BEC and link coming to me next month. I will sort it all out in the beginning of August when I also install my HH motor and ESC.

I hear you on the tires. I got a deal on them, and could not pass them up. It is hard to say what tires will work here, as my terrain is very loose. I will post up results when I get them.

Casey
I guess my only gripe with *MOST* skids out there is they don't wrap around to "cover" the bottom, unless the chassis happens to be Delrin and it is a mood point I am working on trying to make one up, but like everything else, it seems like every time I turn around some noob in my shop class is taking and tossing the thing... lost my last one for good...

Know what you mean on tires! I got some Gladiators for about $10 a pair once, happy I did, sure they aren't the grippiest but they seem like they will last forever and for the $$ who's going to care! I used to have some LOUSY tires from the Tamiya CR-01 that came with my car (yaa go used stuff ) and they didn't grip to anything to save their life. Let me say when I eventually get Rovers, everything changed... and I started the annoying phenomenon of "breaking stuff"
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 AM   #62
Tossin' Salad

Default Frogger 2.1

Well, I got my mods done today. I am really liking it.
List of changes for today:

*swapped spring cups with old stock shocks (much better)
*inverted the shocks
*inboarded the links
*rebuilt the steering
*Stripped 440 volt cable and wound it around the wheels, and taped it off. Fronts have double what the rears have
*mounted up the Proline Chisel G8 tires with memory foams (I love these things)

I just weighed her. 2.1 kilos or 4.63 lbs. Here are some poser shots

Enjoy.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Looks good... NOW GO HIT THE ROCKS You got one light weight rig, mine has aluminum rims so it comes in at about 5.5 lbs but whatever, I like light any day over heavy... Do be careful with in-boarding the links (at the axle side) the car gets something nasty called "axle steer" so be careful of it... its evil

If you keep the lowers triangulated like >[skid]< it will be fine, mind you that's an extreme example
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Looks good... NOW GO HIT THE ROCKS You got one light weight rig, mine has aluminum rims so it comes in at about 5.5 lbs but whatever, I like light any day over heavy... Do be careful with in-boarding the links (at the axle side) the car gets something nasty called "axle steer" so be careful of it... its evil

If you keep the lowers triangulated like >[skid]< it will be fine, mind you that's an extreme example
look how much the LCC links are triangulated, they work great!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
look how much the LCC links are triangulated, they work great!
I drove a Losi Night Crawler once and I got to say they did a darn good job on geometry and it wasn't even a tuned comp crawler I think the secret to its success is:
Shock angle
Squat junk (haha its really important but its a pain to set up )
lower triangulation (wooholy moly its a lot but it works!)
STRAIGHT upper links... surprise, that's the secret I think, I dunno who stole the idea from who but the Gatekeeper chassis mimics the Comp Crawler (and vice versa)

Ok back to the AX10... thought of some Delrin lower links, sure would slide good.

As for BTA... its up to you, its nice but the geometry of it all can be a total pain at times
Old 07-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #66
Tossin' Salad

Yeah, I will hit the rocks in an hour or so, and I will post up some pics and my thoughts on the setup. I will pay close attention for axle steer.

I sure cant wait for my 4 link plates to show up. The uppers will be Delrin, and the lowers will just be covered with BIC pen shells. The lower skid is likely going to change to an STRC unit, as I can get those in a day.

Stay tuned for updates and breakage reports.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

looks good Casey your right now go hit the rocks and see how she does!
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #68
Tossin' Salad

Anyone who says that Proline Chisel tires suck has never used them. These things hook up like mad. I have to drive super careful, or the lugs will catch things unintended, and I will end up on my lid.

Notes for today:
I need dig. Vanquish unit to be ordered tomorrow.
I could use a little more weight in the wheels.
I need a Delrin skid.
I need to underdrive the rear. Going to order some HD gears soon.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

may want to limint the shocks a little, its got quite a bit of flex

oh and you will love dig, best use besides steering is on a steep climb pop your front wheels on the ledge then dig and wad up the tires or you can use it to pull your self up and over the ledge a little!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #70
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
may want to limint the shocks a little, its got quite a bit of flex

oh and you will love dig, best use besides steering is on a steep climb pop your front wheels on the ledge then dig and wad up the tires or you can use it to pull your self up and over the ledge a little!
I will tune the flex when I need to, but for now, it seems ok to me. I got into a couple binds, but I will work it out.

I just ordered my Vanquish Hurst dig. Should have it beginning of August when PaloAltoK5 comes out this way. He is like my own personal santa. He is bringing the HH handwound 45T motor, BR-XL, CC BEC with link, and the dig. Goodies! Goodies! Goodies!

Man, I cant wait for August.

Casey
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 AM   #71
Tossin' Salad

I am looking at some TOPCAD HD driveshafts for when I install my dig. Anyone familiar with these?

http://www.topcad.com.hk/topcad/en/2-1-1.asp?id=1118
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

have you 4 linked it yet?
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #73
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerrc View Post
have you 4 linked it yet?
4 link plates are coming from America...but I have no idea how long that will take. Right now, I am running 3Racing upper 3 link aluminum mounts, and they are holding pretty good. I just hope they hold long enough.

Casey
Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

i dont know if you've done this yet but i have an ax-10 and a big change in how my crawler performed was ditching the rock lizards, and getting some panther cougars.
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

nevermind my computer wouldnt load the pictures. i see now that you have ditched the lizards
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #76
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion ax-10 View Post
i dont know if you've done this yet but i have an ax-10 and a big change in how my crawler performed was ditching the rock lizards, and getting some panther cougars.
Yeah, thanks for the input. If you read my thread all the way through, you will see I upgraded to Proline Chisel tires. THEY ARE AWESOME!

EDIT: gotcha.

Casey
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Haha...personal santa...well I've received two packages so far, I'll take pictures for you later!!

Looking good so far, I was expecting to get there and see some hack job!!

See ya later!!
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #78
Tossin' Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 View Post
Haha...personal santa...well I've received two packages so far, I'll take pictures for you later!!

Looking good so far, I was expecting to get there and see some hack job!!

See ya later!!
OH! The anticipation! And, dont give me so much credit....it IS a hack job.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
OH! The anticipation! And, dont give me so much credit....it IS a hack job.

Eh, trust me, you won't be getting any "Drexler" awards for this one, it looks pretty decent.

anyways, here's what I have so far:

RPP Order:

Holmes Order.....maybe you'll see this one....

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Btw, I know the owner of HAOYE Model parts Supplier in Guanzhou. They are a manufacturer (factory), they do mostly R/C stuff and most of the production for Hobbico and Dubro. Also a lot of the park flyer type planes. They also do rims and chassis for me all the time, and ship over here via whatever service I prefer. What I am saying is, if you want to get these chassis made, I have the contacts on your side of the pond, and can work on distrubution over here too. It's kinda what I do for a living.