Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: billj's Fastback build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #201
RCC Addict

OK. I did the thrust bearing mod tonight. Way cool. I am a little bit concerned about pitting the bearing seats but I like the smoothness of it.

Here is your shock link pic.

Now I noticed your shocks are mounted inboard so this might not help, but here is how it goes. Two traxxas hollow balls, with the schrink wrap over the outside of the hollow balls. You want the shock top to sit in the valley created by the hollow balls.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 AM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
OK. I did the thrust bearing mod tonight. Way cool. I am a little bit concerned about pitting the bearing seats but I like the smoothness of it.

Here is your shock link pic.

Now I noticed your shocks are mounted inboard so this might not help, but here is how it goes. Two traxxas hollow balls, with the schrink wrap over the outside of the hollow balls. You want the shock top to sit in the valley created by the hollow balls.
Thanks for the pic Rick. My thrust bearings are holding up fine,so far. Do you feel it helped with your steering?
billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #203
RCC Addict

I am not sure it has "helped" steering, but taking some bind off the servo was definitely accomplished. My BTA kit and also having aluminum C's and Hubs, sure seamed to put a lot of stiffness in the setup prior to putting the bearings in. I just did this last night so I have not driven it, but I do think it will take some load off my servo. The one thing going through my head right now is steering throw. I was looking at some of the XR10 threads with the VP knuckles and the throw is huge! I then went and looked at my rig and my throw while decent is nothing like the XR's. My main limiting problem is my shocks, well and my servo (tire rub). I have been stewing over maybe a slightly wider front stance or moving my links/shocks around. Right now my thought toward a slightly wider hex is winning out. Any ideas on a hex that will work? Most I have seen listed here are way wide.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am not sure it has "helped" steering, but taking some bind off the servo was definitely accomplished. My BTA kit and also having aluminum C's and Hubs, sure seamed to put a lot of stiffness in the setup prior to putting the bearings in. I just did this last night so I have not driven it, but I do think it will take some load off my servo. The one thing going through my head right now is steering throw. I was looking at some of the XR10 threads with the VP knuckles and the throw is huge! I then went and looked at my rig and my throw while decent is nothing like the XR's. My main limiting problem is my shocks, well and my servo (tire rub). I have been stewing over maybe a slightly wider front stance or moving my links/shocks around. Right now my thought toward a slightly wider hex is winning out. Any ideas on a hex that will work? Most I have seen listed here are way wide.
Junfac makes a hex extender (red ones) that is about 13mm wide ,they are on there website. I ran them on my rig untill i got some wider offset wheels. They work well, gives you a ton more steering. Or the Losi mrc hex is about 1/8" wider on each side than the stock axial hex, maybe check them out also.

Last edited by billj; 10-12-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #205
RCC Addict

Interesting. I am running the same red wideners on both my kids mrc's but I was worried they would widen things a little to much to make it through gates on my 2.2. Any chance you know your overall outside to outside front track width? Forgive me if that is a little personal!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #206
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Interesting. I am running the same red wideners on both my kids mrc's but I was worried they would widen things a little to much to make it through gates on my 2.2. Any chance you know your overall outside to outside front track width? Forgive me if that is a little personal!
Dont know the overall, i know it adds 1" to whatever you have now.You were asking for the width w/extenders,correct? my truck the way it sits now with dh/585 hubs (no extenders)and sedonas is 10 3/4" track width

Last edited by billj; 10-12-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #207
RCC Addict

I think the track width of mine is the same now without extenders. I will probably take the extenders off my kids truck and see how it works out. I can't remember what the gate width is at a comp, but did you notice any difficulty with the extenders and your old setup? I am guessing the rear width is the problem, and with the stock setup you are ok on that. Keep in mind I may have given myself up as knowing a ton about the FB and comp setups and I do a ton of comp worthy practice on my test course but I have only done one comp and I realized my setup was all sorts of wrong at that one.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think the track width of mine is the same now without extenders. I will probably take the extenders off my kids truck and see how it works out. I can't remember what the gate width is at a comp, but did you notice any difficulty with the extenders and your old setup? I am guessing the rear width is the problem, and with the stock setup you are ok on that. Keep in mind I may have given myself up as knowing a ton about the FB and comp setups and I do a ton of comp worthy practice on my test course but I have only done one comp and I realized my setup was all sorts of wrong at that one.
16" min gate width for comps.The extenders worked ok for me, i think i might have been about 1/2 to 3/4 more than what i am now. It was a while ago, cant really remember (sucks getting old).My rear width is about 3/4 less than the fronts, but i also have rovers on the rear(not as wide as sedonas).Comp worthy practice helps. I found myself enjoying comp practice (with gates)more than just "free crawling".
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #209
RCC Addict

While I was at home a minute ago I measured up my axles and was shocked to see that with the DNA assassins and Sedonas, I am sitting at 10 1/4 wide. Time for the extenders!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #210
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
While I was at home a minute ago I measured up my axles and was shocked to see that with the DNA assassins and Sedonas, I am sitting at 10 1/4 wide. Time for the extenders!
Thought you were getting DH's?

Edit: sorry dude, thats someone else getting DH's.

Last edited by billj; 10-12-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #211
RCC Addict

The wideners are much more pocketbook friendly and to be honest I really like my DNA wheels. They are heavy as crap but my truck drives really well with them. It stays planted like a oak tree. I also just purchased the DNA's a month or so ago so I am dancin with the one I brung.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #212
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The wideners are much more pocketbook friendly and to be honest I really like my DNA wheels. They are heavy as crap but my truck drives really well with them. It stays planted like a oak tree. I also just purchased the DNA's a month or so ago so I am dancin with the one I brung.
The snipers are cool wheels, the wideners should help. They are gonna look REALLY wide when you first install them, just give it a drive and try it out.I drove mine for about 3 months. Just dont tighten the barrel nut TOO tight. I actually used a little blue locktite, to keep the barrel nuts tight.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #213
RCC Addict

Well I ran the truck tonight. Wideners (better turning) and also with the thurst bearings. I had a good run going. pushed it pretty hard on a climb. After a few passes through a 5 gate setup I noticed something did not look right in the steering. Grabbed my truck and my steering setup had come unglued. Somehow I found the thrust bearing parts laying on my deck next to my rock pile. Got it all back together with a safety locking nut and whalllaaaahh.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I ran the truck tonight. Wideners (better turning) and also with the thurst bearings. I had a good run going. pushed it pretty hard on a climb. After a few passes through a 5 gate setup I noticed something did not look right in the steering. Grabbed my truck and my steering setup had come unglued. Somehow I found the thrust bearing parts laying on my deck next to my rock pile. Got it all back together with a safety locking nut and whalllaaaahh.
If you found those little bearing parts, you have better eyes than me. Yes i have locknuts on both sides.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #215
RCC Addict

Hey man looking for more info on your wheels. Width offset f/r. Thanks man... looking to order some slw's with my vp goodies right away.
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Hey man looking for more info on your wheels. Width offset f/r. Thanks man... looking to order some slw's with my vp goodies right away.
fronts are VP DH Pro comps w/585 hubs. Rears are SLW V1 1.3 wide, 600 hub.

Last edited by billj; 10-14-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Thank you sir!
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #218
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreams View Post
Thank you sir!
Anytime
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Had a local comp yesterday in North Palm Beach. Finished 4th, top placing shafty. Missed third by 2 stupid gates.And i do mean "stupid" ,my fault not paying attention. I have problem of looking too far ahead,before my truck clears a gate. But i finished behind a berg(GST),xr10 (DickyT), and another berg(richardgarrett56). So it was not so bad. Maybe next time
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #220
Sometimes, I make things.

Congrats bud, glad to hear your showing those MOA guys that the fastback shafty is still tough to beat. Making the top MOA guys sweat w/ an ole shafty must be fun
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote