Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: fred0000's sportsman build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #61
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrty View Post
Those shocks look and sound good. Should keep the front end down for sure. How soft(or stiff) are those springs? are they enough right out of the box?
springs are way to soft I think, i'll know once i've driven it but I have all the pre-load collars down as far as I can put them and they still feel to soft, i'll let everyone know once i've had a chance to run it
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #62
Try to Bend it

What oil are you running, do you have a heavier weight to try in them?
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #63
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
What oil are you running, do you have a heavier weight to try in them?
thats a good idea, there is 30wt in them now, i'll see how it responds once driven, but a thicker oil may be the ticket thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Just a heads up for the shocks, I finally got a chance to clean them up yesterday after getting my new springs and found some shock o-rings I have for my TC3. What a difference, last time I refilled the oil 3 of the 4 had leaked out just sitting overnight leaving an almost ready to drip amount of oil on the lower link and shock ends. Well last night to tonight absolutely nothing, looks like I may keep these in action after all.

Check out the difference in the o-ring, the beefier one being the TC3 o-ring.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Nice find on the o-rings. I need to take mine apart and see if they need beefier o-rings.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #66
cherry bomb

i'll have to look into it, my wheels came in so the rig is completed hopefully the shocks work out ok I drove it around the house and it torques a bit but never lifts a wheel.
i'm going to take it with me tomarow when we go crawlin and test it out.

wheels

I didn't ad any weight to the wheels, the rig will stand on its side in RTR form
Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Hell yeah, you got that thing sittin super sick bro.
I think the stance is perfect Fred
I'll have to update my build here soon.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Looking good, I missed out on a set of the berg wheels a few months ago and was kicking myself afterwards. Looks like you have some really great skid clearance . By the way, not sure what day it was that I posted about the O-rings but not a drop of oil since then has leaked.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #69
cherry bomb

thanks for the comments, I will try my best to get some pics of it on the rocks tomarow.

the height of the skid off the ground is 3" pretty well on the dot, i'm happy with that ride height.

cagedcbr, the berg wheels are a great way to get into an aluminum wheel for cheap, i'm very happy with them, they have a decent amount of weight to them I felt no need to ad any weight for this rig.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Man, I added wieght to my rig. My front tires wiegh 13.5oz each.
That being said the rig wieghs 4.9lbs all together. I need to find a way to fatten her up a bit.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #71
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Man, I added wieght to my rig. My front tires wiegh 13.5oz each.
That being said the rig wieghs 4.9lbs all together. I need to find a way to fatten her up a bit.
wow thats alot of weight for wheels (I think my XR10 fronts weigh around that though )

my rig weight

5 lbs 9.30 oz RTR total weight

2 lb 15.30 oz front axle weight

2 lb 6.40 oz rear axle weight

I took it out today and it did very well, the shocks arn't as stiff as i'd like I have another set of 84mm shocks on the way, hopfuly they do the trick, but these arn't so bad.

one thing I did realise though is I need more weight up front, but I REALLY dont want to add weight to the rig, it's heavy enough, so that battery has to move. i'm gunna look into making a servo/battery plate for up front, and maybe BTA down the road, but the weight needs to move ASAP.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #72
cherry bomb

these are the only pics I got of it today, I drove it alot longer then I drove the XR10, it does fairly well, other then the changes I want to make.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

The trucks look good Fred
Nice action shots.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #74
Try to Bend it

Looks really good Fred, do you find the front track too narrow with the berg wheels? I though they may limit your steering a bit.

Your buying more shocks, Damn dude you should have got those ones I suggested off Ebay a few weeks ago
Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Are you running the stock Rover foams? I just picked some up for the first time (been running Chisels) and I like the firm sidewall compared to the Proline foams but Rover foams don't seem to fill out the tires very well (tread area).
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #76
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Looks really good Fred, do you find the front track too narrow with the berg wheels? I though they may limit your steering a bit.

Your buying more shocks, Damn dude you should have got those ones I suggested off Ebay a few weeks ago
track width is 10.5" I belive it is a bit wider then stock, the tires don't rub the shocks unless its flexed out. (may be an issue with larger diameter 1/10 scale shocks, but wont be bad)

I found some shocks in the right measurements for less then I paid to get the mini shocks, your recomendations were very good however, and I thank you for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
Are you running the stock Rover foams? I just picked some up for the first time (been running Chisels) and I like the firm sidewall compared to the Proline foams but Rover foams don't seem to fill out the tires very well (tread area).
didn't even give the stock foams a chance, they felt like complete garbage, and are about 1/4"-1/2" to short for the rovers hope that helps.

I did get a front axle servo/battery tray for it from a local member. that will get the weight where I want it without needing to ad more. cant wait to get it installed (a friend picked it up for me, so I have to wait till I see him again)
Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #77
Try to Bend it

No worries man I am just playing with you, As long as you get it sorted in the end. Thats all that matters
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #78
RCC Addict

Wow looking good on the rocks there. Rig seems a lil on the heavy side but whatever works for ya. Tried an Underground Crawlers D-link for the car, that really improves handling and reduces torque twist
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #79
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Wow looking good on the rocks there. Rig seems a lil on the heavy side but whatever works for ya. Tried an Underground Crawlers D-link for the car, that really improves handling and reduces torque twist
Thanks alot. It is heavy. But I have not added weights at all. Aslong as I can keep the weight where it is I'll be happy.
I'm getting my front servo/battery plate today so that should help a bunch
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
Thanks alot. It is heavy. But I have not added weights at all. Aslong as I can keep the weight where it is I'll be happy.
I'm getting my front servo/battery plate today so that should help a bunch
I hear you, everyone to their own rig styles. Hey in the end as long as the silly thing crawls good I think that's what we are after. I am shocked the skid doesn't go under the Carbon Fiber to prevent it from peeling up? That should help, heck a little creativity is sometimes needed, I still love the BTA setups on the GC3 chassis, shows what a bit of ingenuity can do
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote