Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Scrappy Frog - The Poison Dart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Scrappy Frog - The Poison Dart

Well my friends, today i received after almost a month, my package. From the very beginning, i would like to congratulate KC for the effort made to pack those things. The package was complete, with all the things needed:

One thing i noticed (and did not like it) - the M4 tapped lower links (front and back). I almost forgot that detail, but ordered some Traxxas stuff to solve it. Tomorrow or Sunday i'll get it and try to reconfigure the Scrappy Frog.

About the name - i chose that name because the rig is somehow made from leftovers from other RC stuff i owned.

So...here is my setup as we speak, not final though:
1) LRP 21T Brushless motor
2) HPI Flux Reload Brushless ESC (has a Rock Crawler profile with works quite ok)
3) DNA Dig Unit, engaged by a Align Servo
4) BTA steering - a mix between Axial BTA and CKRC BTA - needs a little mods, but somehow i think it's gonna work just perfect
5) Axial 91mm Lower links in front - testing purposes only, i want to test it out agains the "frog legs" - maybe this weekend, next week.
6) Axial 80mm Lower links in the back - #5 applies.
7) Axial 70mm Upper links in the front
HR 80mm Upper links in the back
9) Bender Axial 4 link in the back
10) Venom Creeper Wheels with Proline weights in the front - chose that because of the wheel offset
11) Proline Wheels weight free in the back
12) Hpi Rock Grabber tyres - only until my Chisels arrive (ordered 3 wks ago)
13) Axial Honcho stock suspension - think's gonna work great

The wheelbase compared to the Green Bitch (using Bender's SWX) is 1.5cm less (not measured, only estimated). Belly clearance - 3 inches.

Still have no servo (waiting for a 17 kgs@7.4V to arrive from China) and still thinking about the radio (FrSky or Sanwa).
jimmyshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Here are some photots:

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Old 04-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Croakin' across the pond!

Mine arrived yesterday too Jimmy. I'm also going to put a DNA dig in it. I use the cheap 17kg servos too - they work well, have loads of power but they do get sloppy after a while - so but two or three of them!
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

CURIOUS, why not the frog legs ?
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
CURIOUS, why not the frog legs ?
Well, they are tapped with M4....i have no M4 screws nor rod ends, maybe tomorrow or Sunday the traxxas #5347.

LE. They just noticed me they are out of stock. **** !
Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
Mine arrived yesterday too Jimmy. I'm also going to put a DNA dig in it. I use the cheap 17kg servos too - they work well, have loads of power but they do get sloppy after a while - so but two or three of them!
if you use DNA and a setup like mine, you will have to remove some upper bars in order for the servo to fit in.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

What are you using for the rear drive shaft (the one to the dig)?

I've got plenty of delrin rod to make the upper links, not sure whether to use 6mm or 8mm yet - if you need some cutting just let me know and I'll post some off to you, cut to length. At the moment I haven't decided what "length" is. I can drill and tap to 3mm or 4mm - again I've not decided yet. Like you, I've ordered plenty of 4mm Traxxas ends. I've also got some of the long ones coming too.
David
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The build looks really good. After I posted I remembered you had to order the 4m stuff. I can't believe I get to say this to someone don't be impatient. My wife would have a heart attack if she knew I got to say that to someone else. My Poison dart is a very slow process due to funding. AND I CAN'T STAND IT ! ! !
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyshor View Post
if you use DNA and a setup like mine, you will have to remove some upper bars in order for the servo to fit in.
Mine's just like yours - it's even blue!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
What are you using for the rear drive shaft (the one to the dig)?

I've got plenty of delrin rod to make the upper links, not sure whether to use 6mm or 8mm yet - if you need some cutting just let me know and I'll post some off to you, cut to length. At the moment I haven't decided what "length" is. I can drill and tap to 3mm or 4mm - again I've not decided yet. Like you, I've ordered plenty of 4mm Traxxas ends. I've also got some of the long ones coming too.
David
Thanks for the offer, man, i really appreciate it. As soon as i think of something, i'll let you know. For the shaft in the rear, i use Traxxas stuff also (cant remember right now what). Yet, the length of the shaft (without the yokes) is around 3-3.5cm

Quote:
The build looks really good. After I posted I remembered you had to order the 4m stuff. I can't believe I get to say this to someone don't be impatient. My wife would have a heart attack if she knew I got to say that to someone else. My Poison dart is a very slow process due to funding. AND I CAN'T STAND IT ! ! !
Dont tell me about it... my luck is my wife !!! She pretends that she does not know how much i spend on these things, but she knows all to well....everytime she "finds out" how much a pair of tyres costs, she makes me promiss i wont buy another ones....and i promiss...with my fingers crossed ....

Well.....
a) i am my own enemy, i'm not a very patient person, i have to have everything right now, not after 2 secons...NOW
b) because of a), i am not carefull and loose money (wrong orders, insuficient documenting before ordering)
c) dont have skills nor tools to try to build myself some parts, so i have to buy them
d) on a 200km radius in my country, i think there are 10 crawlers, 3 are mine...so...no company - in a 300.000 city, the only person who likes crawling, guess who is...

Last edited by jimmyshor; 04-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys i have a problem. The rig works perfect on a plane surface, but when i try to climb something, there is a noise in the dig unit and the rig starts acting weird (like i'm activating or deactivating the dig). On a plane surface i can activate/deactivate the dig without any problem at all....why is that happening ?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Maybe the set screw on rear tranny output for the dna cog is loose allowing the dig to just spin on the output under a load.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Problem solved (for the moment), disassembled everything . Now it works fine....depends for how long. Anyhow, not impressed with the DNA, while almost all the owners are thrilled with it.

I wonder how long the Hurtz fans should wait for the dig do become available....

Some pics with the progress will be available soon.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The Traxxas parts arrived, so today if i have the time (i have to go to a wedding), i'll give the "frog legz" a try and see what happens. Altrough, only the tought to tear appart what i've done already and re-tune everything....
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

First outdoor test....failure Using Sedona tyres, the pins from CVD shafts, both front wheels BROKE. After 2 minutes of crawling. Damn....
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
Tossin' Salad

Man, sorry to hear about your troubles getting this thing running. But, for me, that is sort of the fun part.

Subscribed.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Last night, after posting this message, i started to think how could i make those pins...what material. I use Axial CVD's, and the diameter of the pin a 1.5mm..i remembered that i had some of these @ home:

so..around 03.15am i started to cut.
The lenght of the titanium pin is bigger with just a few "dots", in order for the ring wich holds the pin in place not to fit as easily as using the stock pins. I hope it will hold more than the stock ones.

Here is the picture of one of the broken pins, compared to a stock pin:

After i am done posting this, i am going to buy some drills and make me more pins, as my feelings tell me i'm gonna need some more

Regards.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #19
Try to Bend it

Hey Jimmy it sure does suck when such small part shuts down your car. Hit up Gunnar to get some of his pins. High quality and cheap as chips.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Here is a very short video from yesterday outdoor testing sesion.
Enjoy !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hNYV9IBpGE