Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 4xFord's Sportsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Very nice build. Was thinking of making rear lockout weights myself, but was afraid of machining everything out of brass. That Delrin slug retainer is a clever idea.
Well that is Sven's clever idea, he is a vendor here on this forum. They work very well.

Well, I got some time in this car and let others drive it. We were all very impressed with its performance, does everything I want it to. I got the geometry and shocks right first shot. Now I just need to keep driving it. I can't wait to run in a sportsman comp!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Some pics from our last comp! I broke on both courses, but other than that she was doing awesome!

The first two were of a really tough line.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

WOW...it's hard to believe that's a shafty! Looks great
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
WOW...it's hard to believe that's a shafty! Looks great
Thanks Ryan! I'm really enjoying this car, it is able to pull off some imressive lines. Its not easy getting everything to fit in a chassis this narrow. I sure would hate to have to cover up this car with a body and hide all my hard work done to this car.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #65

Really glad that I stumbled upon this thread. Great work!!

Have you considered adding more rake to the skid and using a carrier bearing with a two piece rear driveshaft for more GC?
JasonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
Really glad that I stumbled upon this thread. Great work!!

Have you considered adding more rake to the skid and using a carrier bearing with a two piece rear driveshaft for more GC?
No, any more of an angle to the skid would hurt the all around performance at too little of a gain IMO.

After putting some time on this car I can tell I need built 540 power. So, I just rebuilt a Brood 35t, quad mag, big comm motor. I am installing it and an fxr back in the car. I will use this skid for now but will be switching to a wider one asap.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

This is a very nice Sportsman,Nice job! I have heard that the votes for the Sportsman class are leaning toward it being a bodied class.
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckImod View Post
This is a very nice Sportsman,Nice job! I have heard that the votes for the Sportsman class are leaning toward it being a bodied class.
I just hope rules committee members are voting on what their club wants and not just autonomously. It would be a shame to screw over all the frogger, fastback, T1E, and others bodiless shafty owners. They are a large portion of current shafty drivers and should not be overlooked. That and its just another rule that kills creativity.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
I just hope rules committee members are voting on what their club wants and not just autonomously. It would be a shame to screw over all the frogger, fastback, T1E, and others bodiless shafty owners. They are a large portion of current shafty drivers and should not be overlooked. That and its just another rule that kills creativity.
I completely agree!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #70
Suck it up!

Quote:

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #71
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
I agree! I think it would be a class killer since it would basically force anyone who bought one of those chassis, to just toss it and the money they spent into the trash. I have a chassis to run a body on, but if I was forced to ditch my bodiless, I'd probably use those axles on a scaler.

Where has it been talked about that Sporty is going bodiless? Somewhere here on RCC?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #72
Try to Bend it

This would really suck. Especially seeing as the majority of those who have supported and pushed for a recognized sportsman class run a bodiless rig.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Shelby, very cool Sportsman. I was waiting to see a shafty version of the BJ. Nicely done.

I'm not at liberty to say much of what's going on in the rules committee. If you have concerns, talk to your local rules committee member, and let them know how you feel.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

If there not going to allow bodyless in Sportsman then they should make two classes. Stock, and Sportsman.
Stock=bodied and even more limits
Sportsman=bodyless or bodied, no dig...ect

X2 that would kill sportsman.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #75
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post
If there not going to allow bodyless in Sportsman then they should make two classes. Stock, and Sportsman.
Stock=bodied and even more limits
Sportsman=bodyless or bodied, no dig...ect

X2 that would kill sportsman.

2 classes would kill it even more.

Back on topic though ......... this rig just looks vicious and is making me wanna tear my scaler down for the axles and build one.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

A lot of places want to use Sportsman as their novice/entry class to attract guys with their lhs RTR's to try the sport. Highly developed purpose-built cars driven by experienced pilots tend to keep prospectives away.

This is a great car. But if I'm a first timer thinking about running my LNC, and I see this car as my competition...I might just reconsider.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #77
R.I.P. Chip

Bodied cars attract way more people to the hobby than bodiless.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Bodied cars attract way more people to the hobby than bodiless.
That is the only argument for a body that makes sense to me, but is it better to alienate current shafty owners and drivers in order to possibly attract new people? Will someone really not feel as bad loosing to a bodied rig over a bodiless? What happens if I take my body off in the pits and they see all the upgrades?

The saying "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" comes to mind.
There sure are a lot of bodiless guys out there currently. I would hate for the class to loose them for a theory that may not gain as many drivers as it looses.

Last edited by 4xFord; 10-28-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
That is the only argument for a body that makes sense to me, but is it better to alienate current shafty owners and drivers in order to possibly attract new people? Will someone really not feel as bad loosing to a bodied rig over a bodiless? What happens if I take my body off in the pits and they see all the upgrades?

The saying "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" comes to mind.
There sure are a lot of bodiless guys out there currently. I would hate for the class to loose them for a theory theory that may not gain as many drivers as it looses.
Exactly right Shelby..........
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I agree! I think it would be a class killer since it would basically force anyone who bought one of those chassis, to just toss it and the money they spent into the trash. I have a chassis to run a body on, but if I was forced to ditch my bodiless, I'd probably use those axles on a scaler.

Where has it been talked about that Sporty is going bodiless? Somewhere here on RCC?
Contact you rules committee rep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
This would really suck. Especially seeing as the majority of those who have supported and pushed for a recognized sportsman class run a bodiless rig.
That's a great point Camo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Shelby, very cool Sportsman. I was waiting to see a shafty version of the BJ. Nicely done.

I'm not at liberty to say much of what's going on in the rules committee. If you have concerns, talk to your local rules committee member, and let them know how you feel.
Thanks Carey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
2 classes would kill it even more.

Back on topic though ......... this rig just looks vicious and is making me wanna tear my scaler down for the axles and build one.
Thanks Rob, they are really fun to drive, do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
A lot of places want to use Sportsman as their novice/entry class to attract guys with their lhs RTR's to try the sport. Highly developed purpose-built cars driven by experienced pilots tend to keep prospectives away.

This is a great car. But if I'm a first timer thinking about running my LNC, and I see this car as my competition...I might just reconsider.
That would be sad, it's not like we would be competing for pink slips or anything, so why not compete and have fun driving courses that you didn't have to build or judge? Also local clubs can always tweak the rules to better suit their groups needs.