Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 4xFord's Sportsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #81
Try to Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
That is the only argument for a body that makes sense to me, but is it better to alienate current shafty owners and drivers in order to possibly attract new people? Will someone really not feel as bad loosing to a bodied rig over a bodiless? What happens if I take my body off in the pits and they see all the upgrades?

The saying "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" comes to mind.
There sure are a lot of bodiless guys out there currently. I would hate for the class to loose them for a theory that may not gain as many drivers as it looses.

Exactly. you take the topper off the rig that started this thread and put a body on. It would still be just as good a rig and would eat a stock anything any day of the week.

This is the kind of rig that will inspire a new comer to build their stock crawler up to be the best it can be if they are so inclined. In the same way that I was inspired when I saw Eeepee's SSS build a couple of years ago.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #82
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
That is the only argument for a body that makes sense to me, but is it better to alienate current shafty owners and drivers in order to possibly attract new people?
I don't see how it alienates anyone, honestly how long would it take you to put a body on your sporty? I'd say less than 5 minutes, and BAM you are in compliance.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I don't see how it alienates anyone, honestly how long would it take you to put a body on your sporty? I'd say less than 5 minutes, and BAM you are in compliance.

If it takes him as long as it does to make a deal right . Then it will take years . What's it been Shelby 2 years or more ?
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

I think both sides of the argument make perfect sense. So the question is do you want another hard-core competition class or an attractive entry class? The answer probably depends on if you have all the competitors you need locally to have good quality events, or are your numbers too low or declining?
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
If it takes him as long as it does to make a deal right . Then it will take years . What's it been Shelby 2 years or more ?
I have literally no clue what you are talking about, pm sent.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

I really don't know the balance of how many people will be upset by not being allowed to run bodiless vs people who would be intimidated by seeing that they'll have to run against a bodiless rig.

It's all speculation.

Personally, I've always preferred bodiless. Pretty much the first time I saw a DMG tuber, I was hooked. I built and ran my own tubers until 2010 when I switched to a T1e. I was just burned out on welding brake line. I now got the look, but in a more uniform package. I do miss the sound of metal on rock, though.

The main advantage I see now to a bodiless over a bodied rig is that the vendors offering bodiless chassis have a more recognizeable piece. It goes back to what wins (or even looks cool) on Sunday sells on Monday. With a bodiless rig, a spectator can look at it and recognize it as a T1e, Y-Town, underground, etc. With a bodied rig, all they see is the cool paint job on the exciter, bug, or grappler body.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You know I will go along with the rules committee no matter what happens. Sporty class will be awesome either way.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Damn Shelby, I'm sorry I opened this can of worms in your build thread. However,I do have to say that if your trying to start a national level class to attract to new people to the hobby. Do you really think your going to attrack these people to a national level comp. By the time someone gets involved at that level they are already building bodiless rigs. But who am I to say!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
I think both sides of the argument make perfect sense. So the question is do you want another hard-core competition class or an attractive entry class? The answer probably depends on if you have all the competitors you need locally to have good quality events, or are your numbers too low or declining?
anyone who thinks this is not gonna be a competitive class is smokin something!

i truely believe this will become the most competitive class yet because every driver will be striving for every little tid bit of an advantage and the true drivers and tuners of the sport are gonna shine.
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckImod View Post
Damn Shelby, I'm sorry I opened this can of worms in your build thread. However,I do have to say that if your trying to start a national level class to attract to new people to the hobby. Do you really think your going to attrack these people to a national level comp. By the time someone gets involved at that level they are already building bodiless rigs. But who am I to say!
I agree, leave the novice classes up to the local clubs, why do national level events need to be beginner friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
anyone who thinks this is not gonna be a competitive class is smokin something!

i truely believe this will become the most competitive class yet because every driver will be striving for every little tid bit of an advantage and the true drivers and tuners of the sport are gonna shine.
Absolutely
Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have literally no clue what you are talking about, pm sent.
I didn't really think you would want to . PM return
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Some pics from our last comp! I broke on both courses, but other than that she was doing awesome!

The truck is looking good Shelby! Now, if you can keep it in one piece, then maybe you've got a shot at the guy in the cool shoes!

JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
The truck is looking good Shelby! Now, if you can keep it in one piece, then maybe you've got a shot at the guy in the cool shoes!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Comp cut bodies like this will make the new guys feel great compared to competing against a bodiless car.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #95
Suck it up!

Quote:
One step forward, two steps back.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
One step forward, two steps back.
Maybe its one step back to get two steps forward.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #97
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
Maybe its one step back to get two steps forward.
Don't see how.

A noob is going to be intimidated by everything that isn't an RTR. Forcing everyone to run a body isn't going to give them a warm fuzzy feeling.

Whats next, stock tire limitations? Are we going to have to start running Hammers again?

Also, it'll alienate Fastback drivers. Their shock mounts are on the cab, not the chassis. I can't just pop the cab off and be good to go.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 10-29-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Whoa! I wanna see more of that. Thread?
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Whoa! I wanna see more of that. Thread?
Are you serious?
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Don't see how.

A noob is going to be intimidated by everything that isn't an RTR. Forcing everyone to run a body isn't going to give them a warm fuzzy feeling.

Whats next, stock tire limitations? Are we going to have to start running Hammers again?

Also, it'll alienate Fastback drivers. Their front shock mounts are on the cab, not the chassis. I can't just pop the cab off and be good to go.
intimidated

Of course a noob will be will be intimidated..but at what nation level events are noobs partaking in with their rtr's?

The big picture is what I am concidering...to grow the sport and make it appealing to someone looking in from the outside. The fact is every form of rc racing runs a body. People can associate with them.

It may be a bit of a sacrifice to us that prefer a bodiless rig but it iS JUST A SMALL inconvenience to get a much needed class and grow the sport as a whole.

And to take it further... Are you saying that if the class insists you run a body, you wouldn't run in it?
I think you would figure it out and enjoy yourself.