Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: my ax10.... let the modding begin!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default my ax10.... let the modding begin!!!

well... i have a honcho with some mods and im building a trailer to tow behind it... my friends have modded ax10's and the honcho just cant quite keep up on our sunday crawl sessions and i've weighed my options of piecing a rig together or just buying an RTC.. decided it would be cheaper to buy an RTC so thats what i did.. it just came in on wednesday and i picked it up the same day and have been playing with it a little bit in the house.. i've had to tighten up the driveshafts about 12 times already but thats expected...there's a few things im gonna mod and stock sucks!!!! i have borrowed a set of weighted 2.2 hammers so will be running those for now until i decide on a tire.

here is my mod list: some will be done very soon and some will be done in 2012 when money allows me to.

-move body posts up a little higher
-make alum links including steering links
-new servo
-new tires
-weight wheels
-trim body
-spring tuning
-4 link the rear

i have no intentions of entering any comps except a few mini comps with my friends.. i have no plans for dig or queer steer.. mods will start to happen after i get my nitro savage back together. i will add some pics on friday.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: my ax10.... let the modding begin!!!

got some pics will post them later.. im taking it crawling this weekend at a friends house hoping to do some mods while im there and i'll get some more pics.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
i've had to tighten up the driveshafts about 12 times already but thats expected....
Just a drop of Loc-tite would've eliminated 11 of those. Don't even need the high strength stuff, just the medium has done me fine.

Noticed one thing absent from your list; one of these. And they have a matching part for the rear axle. You'll do yourself wonders by getting your batts off the top of that thing, and down on the front end. And moving the servo to one side should get you enough room to run around a 1300mAh LiPo, or a 3x3 brick pack NiMh/NiCad. Actually, it looks like you could go with rear plates at both ends, and use these to run some crawler NiMh packs (with an 8 cell, you WILL need an external BEC & remove red wire from ESC rec. plug). Not sure if you'd have enough room for a LiPo on the axle if you left your servo in the center.

Actually, now that I've mentioned it, you'd be doing yourself a big favor by installing a BEC even if you're sticking with the stock electronics, and if you're upgrading your servo, you'll need it anyway.

Last edited by Trubble; 12-16-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

yup had to add blue locktite to my honcho's driveshafts too..

ya i've found that sticking a lipo to the backside of the servo works very well.. all my friends run 850mah lipo (im behind the 8-ball and still running old nicd batts but plan on changing that soon) and it works well... there's 3 of us planning a big ass lipo battery order to hobby king.. im wanting about 6 batts that range from 850-1500mah.. i've been thinking about running a BEC on this rig.. thinking i might stick with the stock electronics for a while if i do anything i'll take the rooster out of my honcho and toss it on here.

one thing i forgot to add to the list is overdrive/underdrive gears. next thing im gonna get is some decent allen key drivers to use at home and use the T-handle ones on the trail.

loading pics from camera onto computer will upload in a few mins.

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 12-16-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
RCC Addict

here's some pics.. nothing special. put a set of weighted 2.2 hammers on it that i borrowed from a friend for my honcho. going crawling on sunday so the poor honcho gets left behind and the ax10 gets to come out and play.. definitely will be adding aluminum steering links this weekend because i see myself busting them in my near future.. haha..the last pic is my favorite.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

man we really need to tune that thing but looks good but you have to remove that stupid and useless servo saver

Last edited by 9700trevor; 12-17-2011 at 12:58 AM.
9700trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9700trevor View Post
man we really need to tune that thing but looks good but you have to remove that stupid and useless servo saver
yup sure do.. body is getting chopped, making an alum steering link at least on sunday. better have all them lipo's charged and bring your adaptor cuz im gonna add velcro to the servo for batts.

yes i do...thinking i might swap the 645mg into it tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

sounds like a good idea
Old 12-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
RCC Addict

got the savage mostly back together now (completely tore it down and cleaned everything including screws, bolts, nuts etc) so i can start putting some time into the ax10.

you said you have some stainless for a steering link??? let me know because if not i will make up a link tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

make the links I will bring the stuff with me on sunday
Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

so i put my 645mg servo, aluminum knuckles and alum steering links from my honcho onto my ax10.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The 645mg is week as hell... expecialy @ 4.5v. I ran mine @ 6v with 5 oz in each front tire & it didnt have enough power to turn the tires wile sitting still on the rocks.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
RCC Addict

ya i know the 645mg is weak the borrowed tires/wheels im running have 7oz each front and 4oz in each rear and the 645mg wont turn the wheels on the rocks too well.. but its better than stock and its not staying in there long. im gonna get a 7955TG hopefully in january. oh well go beat the shit out of it tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #14
RCC Addict

well got to beat on the new rig today.. held up good for its first maiden voyage on the rocks.. got to a friends house flopped it onto the workbench and got right to work, spun the skid 180*, moved my front lower links in a hole, lowered the body a little bit, late last night moved the body posts up to right beside the shocks. i cranked on the set screws for the driveshafts with a friends hex driver and never had a problem with them all day.. thinking its time to buck up and buy a set of good tools for home, getting tired of stripping out screws and tools.. only got a couple poser shots because a friend of mine got a pissload of pics of the 4 of us.. gotta wait until he gets them onto his computer.

also got a nice chunk of stainless steel from a friend so i will make up a new front steering and drag link in the next couple of days and put the beat to shit aluminum back on the honcho.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
RCC Addict

got a piece of stainless tubing from a friend so i whipped up a new steering link for the ax10 and the honcho.. i will get some pics of eveything i've done tonight..
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

as promised here are pics of the mods i've done.

you can see the skid plate facing forward

new body mounts using the top holes

and got my lower links inside the chassis.. i just cut the stock skid..

just realized i forgot to take pics of my new stainless steering links, will get some pics of those up soon. here's a revised list of the to-do's..

-move body posts up a little higher (DONE)
-make alum links including steering links (STEERING LINKS DONE, GOING TO BUY AN ALUMINUM SET)
-new servo (COMING SOON)
-new tires (HAVENT DECIDED ON A SET YET)
-weight wheels (TRADED A FRIEND MY BRAND NEW RIMS AND FOAMS OFF MY AX10 FOR HIS WEIGHTED/VENTED RIMS AND FOAMS) my 1.5mm allen wrench is fubar'd so gonna wait until new years and quicky swap 2 sets of tires.
-trim body (DONE)
-spring tuning
-4 link the rear (HAVE A PLATE COMING FROM A FRIEND)

do a little investment counting:

ax10 RTC- $292.00
body posts - free
tires-free
steering links- free
wheel weights - free
total invested so far -$292.00
Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
RCC Addict

well its been a couple weeks since i've done anything to the rig... couple friends and i got together last night for a new year's crawl. got to friends house at 6:15pm did a bunch of mods to the ax10 got started crawling around 7:45pm. now that this rig is setup i just need some stick time and practice because its way different to drive than my honcho. a friend got a couple pics with my camera while i was driving..

did a nice rollover spin deal from the top corner and landed on the ledge with one tire holding on for dear life!! it wasnt going anywhere so i had time to set the radio on the workbench dig in my crawling travel bag grab camera and take a couple pics, put camera back in bag grab radio and attempt to drive out of it... unfortunately i didnt make it but it would've been cool.

here's a quick video clip a friend shot with my digital camera. a fancy 7955TG servo would of helped me out alot here but since i cant afford one right now i stole the 645mg out of my honcho. going to try to embed the video but if it doesnt work i'll just post a link.

well damn wont let my embed video so here's the link > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSgN...1&feature=plcp

also a friend of mine brought his video camera and took some video so once he's done editing that i will post it too.

Last edited by AX10wannabe; 01-02-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

looking good. i just got an AX10 for christmas. it's alot different than my wraith that's for sure! we are pretty close on the mods so far, but what springs are you running on your shocks? i've done flipped the skid, inboarded the links, aluminum upper and lower links and steering, tower pro 995 servo, 4 linked the rear, and weighted my wheels. i'm running the stock shocks with losi gold springs on front, losi white on passenger side rear, and the stock axial red on the driver rear.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i actually have no clue what springs im running. a friend grabbed them and told me to put them on but i can find out for ya.

a friend has a 4 link plate for me but of course he forgot it this past weekend so once i have that im gonna buy the axial aluminum links (i could easily make my own but then if i break one at a friends house i have no way of fixing it, if i buy some then i have spares) and 4 link the rear, then its a 7955TG servo and some tires, these damn hammers are killing me!!! still have to buy a charger for my lipo's.. i bought 5 old ones from a friend but have no way of charging them right now.

we also did this mod..

between the little link/shock mounts on the axle we bolted the links on the inside shocks on the outside on the front axle then we mounted the links on the outside and the shocks on the inside for the rear axle. another mod we did was unbolt the 3link from the chassis and moved it in 2 holes. this gave the front end of the truck a "rake" look.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

you wont brake the alum links.... just the rod ends.... (so you could make the links your self.) + if you do make them & use 4mm ends your less likely to brake the ends or the all threas part.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote

my ax10.... let the modding begin!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where should i begin? tellicobeach Newbie General 4 05-20-2010 01:22 PM
Let the mods begin! mr.freeze Axial AX-10 Scorpion 30 12-20-2009 03:25 AM
I should have bought an AX-10 to begin with... warDialer Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 09-12-2009 10:11 PM
Let the hating begin..... -w-designs Paint and Body 22 06-08-2009 12:15 AM