Go Back   RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Axial AX-10 Scorpion
Loading

Notices


Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 490
Default Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Hopefully this will make a sticky thread.

First off need measured from rod end eye to rod end eye. either straight or including the bend in the link.

For the 60/40 design of the FASTBACK II chassis. What length are the front links and rear links.

1. front lower with traxxis rod ends, no bend:
2. front lower with traxxis rod ends, 15* bend:
3. front lower with jato rod ends, no bend:
4. front lower with jato rod ends, 15* bend.

4 link set up for uppers
5. front upper with traxxis:
6. front upper with JATO:

Rear links
7. Rear lower with traxxis rod ends, no bend:
8. Rear lower with traxxis rod ends, 15* bend:
9. Rear lower with traxxis rod ends, 30* bend:
10. Rear lower with JATO rod ends, no bend:
11. Rear lower with JATO rod ends, 15* bend:
12. Rear lower with JATO rod ends, 30* bend:

Rear upper 4 link with Axial bender 4 link bracket.

13. Rear upper with traxxis rod ends:
14. Rear upper with JATO rod ends:

Please fill in your measurements after the colon.

hopefully this will take out some confusion on what length links to run on this chassis.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
dstrbd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Socal
Posts: 710
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Straight from the man. (DickyT)
Read Up
Underground Crawlers Fastback chassis

Front lowers are 4 1/4 eye to eye, rears are 5 1/16.

You can do the math for the rod ends.

Everybody's uppers may be different depending on castor and link mount designs.

Revo Rod end
Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry DickyT I totally copied all this out of your thread.
DickyT likes this.

Last edited by dstrbd1; 01-23-2012 at 08:00 AM.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 490
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

your right, dickyt has it in there. but i read his and several other threads from front to back and have gotten numerous listings for lengths and pretty much all of them have the same scenario. So i was just trying to simplify it in one thread with some to the point measurements. thats why i listed the options with traxxis and jato rod ends. just thought it might help someone in the future. I have seen a lot of threads asking the same questions on here too and no one gives a straight answer to that question.

Maybe i should have said rod end ball to rod end ball. would that help?
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
DCW H.M.F.I.C.
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9,353
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhd04 View Post
Maybe i should have said rod end ball to rod end ball. would that help?
Center of eye to center of eye is typically how its done when you're including the rod ends in the measurement.

Eye to eye, all links will be the same length. They can be straight, bent, really bent, or crazy straw shaped.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Rock Crawler
 
opek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 663
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhd04 View Post
your right, dickyt has it in there. but i read his and several other threads from front to back and have gotten numerous listings for lengths and pretty much all of them have the same scenario. So i was just trying to simplify it in one thread with some to the point measurements. thats why i listed the options with traxxis and jato rod ends. just thought it might help someone in the future. I have seen a lot of threads asking the same questions on here too and no one gives a straight answer to that question.

Maybe i should have said rod end ball to rod end ball. would that help?
When you have eye to eye measurements (as are the measurements given) then nothing else matters. You can bend twist curl or do whatever you want so long as when it's all over the straight line between the two eyelets is the desired length.

I can't imagine most people do the math when bending links. I don't think I could accurately achieve the specific bend I accounted for in my math. I bend em up and get the rod ends on, then I stack em on top of each other and stick really long m3 rod through the stacked eyelets. If the links are the same length the rods will be parallel. It's surprisingly sensitive, more so than me wiggling around with calipers.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: gastonia
Posts: 301
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Or if you got a junk piece of wood and a few nails, you could measure out the desired length and nail the nails in so you have a jig. Once you get one done to whatever bend you want trace it. Then all you have to do is get it between the lines for the next X amount of links you want to build.
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
dstrbd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Socal
Posts: 710
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Once I get one link bent to the right eye to eye length I put it in the calipers measuring outside to outside of the rod ends and lock them in place. Then all I have to do is slide the next link in to see if it matches.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 304
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Just making up some upper links for my fastback II and was wondering are most of you guys running the same length as the lowers?


Cheers Clint
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
Try to Bend it
 
Highlucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 2,933
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Uppers will be dependent on how much you want to clock the axle and pinion angle. Hopefully DickyT or Duuuuuuuuude has some lengths in htheir builds cause they are what I would be following


Quote:
Originally Posted by donhd04 View Post
Hopefully this will make a sticky thread.

First off need measured from rod end eye to rod end eye. either straight or including the bend in the link.

For the 60/40 design of the FASTBACK II chassis. What length are the front links and rear links.

1. front lower with traxxis rod ends, no bend:
2. front lower with traxxis rod ends, 15* bend:
3. front lower with jato rod ends, no bend:
4. front lower with jato rod ends, 15* bend.

4 link set up for uppers
5. front upper with traxxis:
6. front upper with JATO:

Rear links
7. Rear lower with traxxis rod ends, no bend:
8. Rear lower with traxxis rod ends, 15* bend:
9. Rear lower with traxxis rod ends, 30* bend:
10. Rear lower with JATO rod ends, no bend:
11. Rear lower with JATO rod ends, 15* bend:
12. Rear lower with JATO rod ends, 30* bend:

Rear upper 4 link with Axial bender 4 link bracket.

13. Rear upper with traxxis rod ends:
14. Rear upper with JATO rod ends:

Please fill in your measurements after the colon.

hopefully this will take out some confusion on what length links to run on this chassis.
Your not really a fan of doing things for yourself are you.

Last edited by Highlucks; 03-08-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 304
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Uppers will be dependent on how much you want to clock the axle and pinion angle. Hopefully DickyT or Duuuuuuuuude has some lengths in htheir builds cause they are what I would be following
Yeah ive had a good look through there thread hey, could really find anything only lowers hey..
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 490
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Uppers will be dependent on how much you want to clock the axle and pinion angle. Hopefully DickyT or Duuuuuuuuude has some lengths in htheir builds cause they are what I would be following




Your not really a fan of doing things for yourself are you.
Not worried about doing things for ourselves but why waste the money and time screwing it up 2 or 3 times when others have done it and gotten it right already. The thread was posted as a reference tool to those who are building the UGC FBII because i have read numerous post stating 1 or 2 mm difference in lengths. There actually are several different lengths a person could use. I was hoping to not get flamed and that people would post up the lengths they have used so someone wouldn't have to read thru 100's of pages to find one post on lengths thus i was trying to consolidate the length thing into one thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint View Post
Yeah ive had a good look through there thread hey, could really find anything only lowers hey..
Usually, only after spending a week of reading dozens of threads, I have noticed most people are using 5 1/16 rear lowers and 4 1/4 lowers for the front. Also most are using 55mm for upper front and 106mm for the rear uppers. I got that from C.H.U.D. and several other threads including DICKYT's thread as well. Just search FASTBACK II in the AX10 thread and it should lead you in the right direction.
pmadrid13 likes this.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
DCW H.M.F.I.C.
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9,353
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

I wouldn't get too excited about using uppers that are the same length as others you may find here, unless you're running the exact same 4 link plates front and rear.

You're sometimes better off determining the length you need on your own.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Arthritic
 
DickyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Flooriduh
Posts: 4,550
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrbd1 View Post
Straight from the man. (DickyT)
Read Up
Underground Crawlers Fastback chassis

Front lowers are 4 1/4 eye to eye, rears are 5 1/16.

You can do the math for the rod ends.

Everybody's uppers may be different depending on castor and link mount designs.

Revo Rod end
Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry DickyT I totally copied all this out of your thread.
No worries, this is a good place for that information. My thread is long and that info is burried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint View Post
Just making up some upper links for my fastback II and was wondering are most of you guys running the same length as the lowers?


Cheers Clint
What Duuuuuuuude says below. It really depends on the link mounts you use.

The fronts will never be same length, and do not need to be. The rears do not need to be either. Close is good enough. I will define close as 75%+ of lower length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about using uppers that are the same length as others you may find here, unless you're running the exact same 4 link plates front and rear.

You're sometimes better off determining the length you need on your own.
Well put sir!




As far was what works best for the 60/40:


Front lowers are 4 1/4" rod end eye center to rod end eye center, rears are 5 1/16" eye to eye.

It does not matter if your bends are 5*, 15*, 30* or 360*, or what rod ends you use. The eye to eye measurement is what matters. Get to measuring

Being this is specific to one chassis I do not think it is sticky material, but a great informative thread it is!
pmadrid13 likes this.

Last edited by DickyT; 03-08-2012 at 09:45 AM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
DCW H.M.F.I.C.
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9,353
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Well put sir!
I have a Masters degree in Putting, so, yeah, I put well.
DickyT and Trubble like this.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
No idea what I'm doing
 
C*H*U*D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Underground, CO
Posts: 4,315
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Someone should write all this up and put it up on the UGC Website.


I nominate Richard.
DickyT and dstrbd1 like this.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Arthritic
 
DickyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Flooriduh
Posts: 4,550
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Someone should write all this up and put it up on the UGC Website.


I nominate Richard.
Remind me about this next week, my plate is full right now. Next week I am a bachelor however, no wife, no kid, just me I can probably get it done then.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 490
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

so before i place an order for vp titanium links, if i need the fronts at 4 1/4 to I take 34mm (17mm each end) (according to the pic) off the entire length of the link or do I just take 20mm (10mm each end) off the entire link length? I have a conversion websited im trying to use and vp waiting on call back. My brain isn't functioning this morning.

OH and 1 other thing, does a 30* bend in link give it a late 70s muscle car stance (all jacked up in the rear) and would a 15* bend be closer to level but with clearance?
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
DCW H.M.F.I.C.
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 9,353
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Bent links do nothing to change the stance of the rig, that is all done with the shocks.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 490
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Bent links do nothing to change the stance of the rig, that is all done with the shocks.
cool. now how the hell do i figure in the offset bend? does it change the overall length of the link. example if I need 5 1/16 eye to eye with a offset towards one end of the link instead of in the middle does the overal link length increase to say 5 1/4 due to deduction from the bent material?
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 490
Default Re: Fastback definitive LINK thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
As far was what works best for the 60/40:


Front lowers are 4 1/4" rod end eye center to rod end eye center, rears are 5 1/16" eye to eye.

It does not matter if your bends are 5*, 15*, 30* or 360*, or what rod ends you use. The eye to eye measurement is what matters. Get to measuring

Being this is specific to one chassis I do not think it is sticky material, but a great informative thread it is!
Ok im bringing this up again cause I must be too stupid to see it.
These measurements are for a 12" wheel base on the FB II chassis right? So I added a 1/4" to each measurement to get a 12 1/2" wheelbase. well I measured, measured again, measured a third time, mearsured corner to corner and each side again to quadroople check and checked each cut 3 times each before I cut. I'll be damned if my wheel base is now 13 3/8". 7/8" to freekin long. what the hell am I doing wrong. I am using the curved metal rod ends from RC4WD and they are 12.5mm from center of eye to tip.

And if anyone has the measurement off the top of their head, what is the length of a jato rod end over a revo rod end?
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Fastback definitive LINK thread. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Definitive SCX10 Upgrade Thread Axial Rose Axial SCX-10 14 02-27-2014 08:14 AM
Definitive 1:6 Battery Thread player Newbie General 137 06-06-2010 04:15 PM
definitive lipo thread? mtnbiker93 Newbie General 2 06-02-2010 04:17 PM
The Definitive Chassis Generation Thread TwistedXT Newbie General 30 11-18-2007 04:14 PM
Definitive AftrMkt Wheel/Tire Thread player General Crawlers 7 11-26-2005 02:15 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-20010 RCCrawler.com