Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The 5:12 sportsmen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The 5:12 sportsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
Thanks go to Jslick, MRCrackhead and anyone else was taking pictures.

My rig is built not bought!
I'll try to get the pics up in the PA section today after work.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

The courses were great turbo I had a blast destroying both my 1.9 and 2.2s

Broke the axle stub on the 1.9

My rig is built not bought!
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Just placed an order for some xr uni's and ar60 housing so I can get the 5:12 back on the rocks! Also picked up the brass tubes form the hardware store for my beef tubes. 95 dollars will xr mod both the 5:12 and the 5:11(mini)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Finally, you had to completely destroy your front axle........now you're ready to dust off the XR knuckles you've had sitting around the house for weeks!

Glad to see your doing the mod. Both rigs will be so much better. It's not JUST a steering upgrade. The universals are worry free strength up front.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

As a back up plan in case my parts dont show up in time to get the xr mod finished for the next comp in 2 weeks. I decided to xr mod the stock axle. So I ised the already cut down xr uni's I cut from troy for my mini and the knuckles and chubs I've been sitting on for way to long now.

Heres the mock up I have so far

As you can see ill have to move my servo in but I've been putting off making a new servo/4 link plate for way to long now so no big deal. My scrub radius will be crappie but this is all temporary untill the right parts get here.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

NICE!!!!!!!! Well played sir, well played!

Good use of the universals.. did you have to cut much off to fit the axle?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
NICE!!!!!!!! Well played sir, well played!

Good use of the universals.. did you have to cut much off to fit the axle?
Not at all troy I havd to cut the one down a smidg to match the other and exaggerate the flat spots but thats it
Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Tonight's work

The steering could be better tomorrow I'm going to make a new tie rod instead of recycling the old one and perhaps look at bta steering setup
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Looking much better than the other day, have you always run a plastic servo horn?? Time to upgrade.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Looking much better than the other day, have you always run a plastic servo horn?? Time to upgrade.
No I have not. I have several metal servo horns but none are lone enough for the throw needed. I do need one of those fancy clamp on styles!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

I decided to use 1/8 heavy wall pipe for my temp beef tubes and as they will be beef they are extremely hard to work with drilling and tapping them have been a pain in my rear but they are done I should have a picture or 2 tonight.

Has anyone had any success out of a double drag link steering setup? Any pros or cons?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Well the dlux build inspired me to go a different route than I have planned so I did some digging at the hobby shop and picked these uni's up

They are already clearanced on the one side only need a tiny bit more moding to hopefully give me 70° of steering.

Last edited by chris.martell; 09-24-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

Got some more parts ordered from dlux today cant wait to get this build underway!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

Parts list
Modified Bully knuckles
Bully knuckle weights
.225 hubs
Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #75
TSK
Shelf queen

You will also need standard non 8* axial C hub. The Bully stuff won't work with the XR/wraith C hub.

Curious though as to why you are gonna go to the bully setup when your setup should allow 70* 9link/tire clearance nonwithstanding)
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
You will also need standard non 8* axial C hub. The Bully stuff won't work with the XR/wraith C hub.

Curious though as to why you are gonna go to the bully setup when your setup should allow 70* 9link/tire clearance nonwithstanding)
I already have the chubs left over from my stock set up.

I'm going with the 1/8 Ofna hyper uni's because axial metal is crap I tig welded locker stubs to some cut down xr uni's I got used to take out some of the slop and they broke within 10 min. So im hoping that the buggy universals will offer better stronger metal.

But mainly I just want my rig to be different from what the rest of the people typically do. So I'm building an AX60Bully axle. Inspired by dlux!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Today was the last comp for eparccrawler club and it was a good day and was the first comp I to blame for the last place finish in 2.2s not a broken crawler letting me down. One disappointment in the crawler was the gmade tso1 shocks were just not quite right so I sold them and will be replacing them with scx10 shocks for better tuning.other than that the 5:12 crawls so nice!

First course went rather well except for the sharp turn from gate 3 to 4 I believe I was just about in the clear when I fell off a ledge I just shouldn't have if my shocks had been preforming right but I saved it and finished the course in the negative.

2nd course all was great and I was very happy with how my crawlers performance untill I let it down by being 4 seconds to late to the finish line.

3rd course same as the other 2 crawler did well other than the crappie shocks had a couple roll overs and hit the gate at the finish line which pointed me out. Oh well there alot of time for driving until next season.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #78
Fifth dimension

I want to say that I saw this rig in person today. The amount of work this guy is putting in to build the best crawler he can is impressive. I'm glad to have ambitious people in our club. Perhaps these types of builds will be the spark new comers and OG's alike, need to get the fire blazing! I've only been crawling a year and I found myself amped when we were BSing over what changes would be made next. It was fun and I'm glad to be a part of this hobby right now!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Awesome job today Chris! For only bein on the rocks for a little while and even more time spent building what you have, its all coming together...
Now you know the direction for next year and what to expect for the upcoming 2014 season. Can't wait to see ya back on the rocks
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys can't wait for the next season see you guys at the next event. And I want to thank everyone who was willing to teach me how to judge and for all the helpful advice. I'm proud to be an epa member.

The 5:12 sportsmen - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rob's sportsmen build rob5059 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 8 09-08-2013 06:02 AM