Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: A nightmare on purp street ... Bwd shafty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: A nightmare on purp street ... Bwd shafty

There's a screw in the back of the axle as well lol but thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purptr8r View Post
Slower compression and rebound so it doesn't bounce you over plus it helps with any torque twist

Nice. I didn't know that lol. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

And since were speaking about shocks, I've got a question. I bought a scorpion from a friend with the swx chassis and he has 5" shocks on this thing! It didn't seem right and it definitely doesn't drive right. So, I put a set of proline 4" shocks on the front to give it a better stance. Looks better but still I have no flex in the rear. It just goes the same angle my chassis goes and then bam I flip over. On the weakest of obstacles at that lol. My question is what size shock should I be running on this rig for it to operate correctly. Sorry, I know its out of topic and has nothing to do with this beast rig your building, but I sure could use some advice.
big knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Well ... If I was to guess I'd say that that specific chassis takes a 3.5 to 4 " shock ... 4" prob being closer to what it requires because it's an older chassis with older geometry ... 5 inch is a little far fetched but this sport has come quite a ways in the last 3 years so perhaps huge ground clearance and suspension travel and pretzel twisting articulation may have been hotttttttt before but now chassis a low and sleek much less articulation is needed because a crawler weighs less than 4 pounds so it's more nimble ... Most people run droop shocks as opposes to sky jacker lift kits .... It's all personal preference so I can't tell you what belongs on your rigs you have to experiment ... I use 60-30 weight because it suits how I drive ... Papabash uses big bore shocks with a different cap .. Don who designed the chassis uses big bores with different springs and a cap mod and limits the travel of his shocks ... Winner123 uses the same shocks as me on his CCC chassis ... But different oil than me .... So it really comes down to YOU ...... Hope that helped lol

Old 11-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

The man is right knobs.. The biggest thing about all this, is You.. You, whoever the builder is.. No 2 rigs are the same..
The only thing that tells you what to do is drive time and drive style..

I run 50wt in all 4 corners, but lay my rear shocks down more then the fronts. That creates the Feel of the rig that I want.

With my sporty, it's semi droop front, just a touch of preload in the rear.
Pro rig, 50wt all around. More semi droop then in the front..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm new to RC and crawlers fascinated me from the get go. So I'll definitely keep that in mind. Any advice I could get from you seasoned veterans is awesome.

I also have a UGC Fastback 2 chassis and I'm at a standstill with the link length I need for it to work properly. How out of date is this chassis? And will AR60 axles work for it? Either way its still really nice craftsmanship and I will get it finished someday! Keep on with this sweet build purp!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by big knobs View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm new to RC and crawlers fascinated me from the get go. So I'll definitely keep that in mind. Any advice I could get from you seasoned veterans is awesome.

I also have a UGC Fastback 2 chassis and I'm at a standstill with the link length I need for it to work properly. How out of date is this chassis? And will AR60 axles work for it? Either way its still really nice craftsmanship and I will get it finished someday! Keep on with this sweet build purp!
its not out of date "per say" its just out of regulation if you were to compete unless you fashioned a body to it...ar60s work best on that chassis with 4 inch shocks....i have 2 of those chassis in a bin if you need parts lol...i was hoping troy would chime in with his set up .....the link lenght can be found if you message ugc or look on threads here once again it depends on the axles you run to get the length but to keep it within "spec" of the shafty class the wheel base cant exceed 12.5 inches ....your best best is message ugc and tell them you have wraith axles how long should the links be.....or message ALAMO71 he has the same rig set up he can probably measure his for you
Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Purp, you are a godsend. Thank you sir for I have been stumped for weeks now just staring at a beautiful chassis wishing it was crawling over some rocks.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

And I'll take whatever parts will make this thing as good as possible! Just PM me what you've got that you can get rid of and we can go from there. Thanks again bud!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

...... So I got a bit of work done this weekend after the food coma and power/internet outages up in New Hampshire ... Took the BROOD Onslaught 35 turn and HULKSTA. Tranny out of my other sporty ... For now I have the stock gears in the tranny after testing I'll pull it back out and put hot racing light weight gears in ... I had to do a little trimming to the adapter plate for the tranny because this chassis is so small and light weight ... But I was able to massage it in place

Old 12-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I was also able to get the rear axle done .. Of course fast Eddie bearings and new axial gears ... ... I had a set of " choker collars from CCC in my bin and I loved them on my last rig so I decided to use them here as well ... I also got a set of CREATION FAB UBER TUBES. For the rear beef tubes and lock outs all in one i only had my paint scale handy at my shop but after milling them out I dropped quite a bit of weight this is the weight of a set of normal wide splined rear tubes and wraith lock outs so I saved a few grams there .. I also ditched the grip fab locker for an aluminum hot racing locker I forgot to do a comparison but I'll get around to it i also installed some CREEPER BOB LONG XR TI SHAFTS As you can see the CCC choker collars also act as set screws to hold the tubes in place ... The uber tubes have smooth flow with the axles nothing to get hung up and the bearings are held in place by a c clip like a currie axle ..... Special thanks goes out to CHRIS THE BATTERY MAN. For getting these out to me with a quickness and putting up with me stalking him

Old 12-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

I decided to use the smallest link mount Don supplied with the kit ...and these are the high clearance links I'm going to try out this weekend ... I already have a set of " normal" links according to Dons specs but with the HULKSTA tranny my output shaft is much higher than normal so I figured I'd take advantage of the clearance ..... I had a set of purple SHIFT HUBS. From BC BRIAN at LATTICE INNOVATIONS... I was saving them for a special occasion and said this must be that occasion

Old 12-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Default A nightmare on purp street ... Bwd shafty

Now I won a set of " DOO OVERS " at the qualifier in PA but had traded them to Troy for normal voodoos but after seeing them in action I decided to make some I only have one complete but here is some of the process it takes 1 and a half 1.9 rovers and voodoo sidewalls and here it is complete ... I'll add more pics of the process later

Last edited by Purptr8r; 12-01-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

I also bent up a steering link for BTA. I'll get a few more pics up in the next few days ...

Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Rig's coming along nicely Cory. I really like the tranny/rear lower link set-up.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

thank you sir i had a ton of stuff too get done for other people that shop at PURPMART this weekend like some braces for troy a set of links for one of our team members and i got 2 of your narrowed voodoos done so far...but im only one man i should be ready in the next few days i have an indoor comp on saturday so ill be testing this baby out
Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Purpi..
The wife love's her do-overs that you traded her for her doo's! ;)
I'm really digging them there uber tubes! Wonder how it compares weight wise to stock lockouts with the delrin tubes..

I'm glad you used the dog collars. As I'll be interested to see the difference in setup you and papa use.
He's using the VP shock razors and I used them on my last few sporty chassis.. Now using the dog collars.
The only difference in the 2(other then the collars hold everything together nice and tight) is the mounting hole is one hole forward on the collars from the VP ones.
Drill a second hole in the collars and they are the same or one shock hole forward on the chassis and they are the same? If that's how the geo sees it??

Can't wait to see pics and video of this weekend comp!!! (Yes, video is a must now!) ;)
Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I don't have a superior vid guy like you cough cough ..... I'll weigh the stock lock outs and delrin tubes this week

Old 12-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

You are one top notch video guy!

I'm sure one of those fine gentleman you crawl with, will shoot video for you tho..

I'll make some calls!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Lol

Old 12-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #40
Fifth dimension

Lookin killer bro. This chassis is sharp looking. I'm a bit surprised you went with purple parts on this build tho..... Can't wait to see it finished.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote

A nightmare on purp street ... Bwd shafty - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Papa's BWD Nightmare S papabash Axial AX-10 Scorpion 392 11-26-2018 04:22 AM
Kratos Bwd "Nightmare" build Kratos Axial XR10 31 06-10-2013 03:24 PM
BWD Losi Comp Crawler - 2.2 Wedge Shafty billet works Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 04-26-2010 07:24 AM
MARHYAS CHEVY by kronik, purp in progress kronik Paint and Body 15 04-05-2010 02:06 PM