Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: NEW:Axial 1/18 Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2023, 06:12 PM   #41

Default Re: NEW:Axial 1/18 Capra

Sure! $200 yes they probably got confused with 1/1 gears and realized the mistake yeah these are a bit smaller in scale...

I was on RPP Hobby web site looking at 1.55 beadlocks Gearhead Classic 12 hole has a nice set for $119.99 and SSD had some nice ones for half the price and the ones Curb Crawler has Boomracing.com are nice too.
I was looking at 1.5 Pit Bull Rock Beast and RC4WD IROK. Wish Proline made 1.5 Krawlers those would be the ones to use.

I am curious what motor/ESC people will be using on this rig.
keltron89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2023, 01:13 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

I’m staying standard for a while, I may stick a Hobbywing 1080 in, but I’m interested to see what Holmes and Hobbywing come up with before committing to a brushless combo
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 01:17 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Ohh and Team Garage Hack are doing metal transmission gears, along with under/over drive gears and a gear down spur and pinion set
Old 01-15-2023, 10:56 AM   #44

My new UTB18 Capra is here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2023, 12:20 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Sweet!
Old 01-15-2023, 12:29 PM   #46

Thanks! Yes, I am impressed, it is not toyish at all to me. Graphics are sweet I plugged in the battery just to make sure the lights work and it goes forward/reverse. It is much slower than I expected. Not something you can really walk in the woods with on the trail. Seems too slow for that. But that's fine. I will just pick a nice area and play. But yes a very nice rig. Axial Rocks!

What are you running for lipos? When I ordered it the 650 mAh lipos are now discontinued, I am running the 800 mAhs. Any ides run time for this?
Old 01-15-2023, 07:03 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Just checked out the Team Garage Hack stuff. Those gears look good! I do agree that it would be a good idea to wait and see who releases what as far as motors. Brushed and brushless both need options. Would love to see a hand wound Holmes 380 with a slightly higher kv range for both more top speed while still having that low speed control. I’m finding myself more intrigued with this thing than any of my other 13 or 14 rigs. Really wanted to like it but not this much. Lol
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:26 PM   #48

Yes wait a little while, these UTB18 Carpas are new. Funny how I hear a lot of people on the internet saying they are not into them, but all the Axial hop up parts for the 1/18 Capra are out of stock Someone's buying all of them parts up.

Right now, I am staying all stock. I think it's such a small rig that there isn't much stress on the rig, I think it's built fine for back yard crawling. I think the servo is fine and the plastic links for what it is. Sure, it could use better tires.

I would be interested in overdrive gears for sure. I liek to see better motor/ESC and maybe tires

Last edited by keltron89; 01-15-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:41 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

The UTb18 is the most underrated Crawler RC out at the moment, the hate for them is weird and totally undeserved
Old 01-28-2023, 06:06 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

I bought one about 2 weeks ago it's a cute little thing for sure but now were near 1/18 scale but this is okay with me. The little that I have been able to run it I like the way it crawls. I had some Treal brass wheel hexes that I put on it. Replaced the steering links with ones from Treal. Also printed a rear link rinse for it. Put some OD portal gears in the front but so far I'm not sure they are really helping. Maybe I didn't have enough time with with OD gears to get a good comparison.

I think my biggest complaint was taking the wheel center hubs off. Couldn't do it with my fingers I had to use pliers that were marking them up. To rectify this I designed a 3D printed wrench to remove or at the least loosen them.

Last edited by Gramps; 01-28-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

I got a slider on eBay for 179. which s great because I will do aftermarket tires and wheels and I am converting it to the dlux Markhor. I got links and will be running the HH 380 200kv in it with the sidewinder micro2. direct power servo.

I might do a build thread on it. I get most of the parts by tomorrow. I will see.

Anyways, Dlux has some great stuff out for it.

https://dluxfab.com/Mini-Capra-UTB18-Axial-c141961034
xxlostonexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:18 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

I've been looking at the boomracing 1.55 wheels, and building a set of the beadlocks for this new rig. I just got it and I like it for indoors. I bought the 24, its just too small.

So, question is, if building a wheelset, what offset hub does anyone recommend or have experience with? And consider that I will probably be putting on weights or at least brass housings at some point. =)

Edit: never mind about the weights, I would only do brass housings. I was thinking of the dlux weights but those take his big 1.9 wheels.

Last edited by zjguy721; 02-25-2023 at 06:12 PM.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:50 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

I picked up the Fox Capra18 yesterday, brought it home and started tinkering with it. Tbh, I love it. I was looking for something small to take along and to play around the house. Bought an SCX24 and it’s just too small for me. But this one is going to be fun.

And if anyone wonders if an old Pro-Line AX-10 body will fit, it will. Only thing is I accidentally creased the hood trying to bend it before it was trimmed up. It’s something different.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:19 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Will be upgrading either the esc or esc/motor soon. Plan on running 3s. Is anyone currently running a 3s that fits the stock battery tray, and if so, what lipo is it? I saw a aftermarket battery tray that sits lower and should fit a taller battery, but would be happier to just find one that fits the stock tray.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post

I picked up the Fox Capra18 yesterday, brought it home and started tinkering with it. Tbh, I love it. I was looking for something small to take along and to play around the house. Bought an SCX24 and it’s just too small for me. But this one is going to be fun.

And if anyone wonders if an old Pro-Line AX-10 body will fit, it will. Only thing is I accidentally creased the hood trying to bend it before it was trimmed up. It’s something different.
Sweet looking rig!
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:14 AM   #56
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Will be upgrading either the esc or esc/motor soon. Plan on running 3s. Is anyone currently running a 3s that fits the stock battery tray, and if so, what lipo is it? I saw a aftermarket battery tray that sits lower and should fit a taller battery, but would be happier to just find one that fits the stock tray.

Hey KD, this is ONLY speculation, but I believe these should fit:

And this is based off my HIGHLY scientific armchair hypothesis:

Battery: (LxWxH)
eBay replacement: 55 x 31 x 16
Stock Spektrum 2s: 58 x 32 x 20

Please note that I haven’t tried this and don’t even have the UTB18 yet though. I’m waiting for my LHS to get it in so I can buy it from them. But I’ve been looking at the dimensions of the stock batteries and other batteries in it that I’ve spied on YouTube videos. And West Desert Wheeler is using a Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 G1 ESC in his with a 3s lipo and it seems to run very well.

Chubby5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 01:45 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Chubby5000, thank you! Gotta admit I was being totally lazy when I asked. Lol. I’m on the fence with what motor/esc I’m going to run in it. Likely going with the Furitek system, but might just slap a 1080 in it with the stock motor. Either way I plan on running 3s and a direct power servo.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:20 AM   #58
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Chubby5000, thank you! Gotta admit I was being totally lazy when I asked. Lol. I’m on the fence with what motor/esc I’m going to run in it. Likely going with the Furitek system, but might just slap a 1080 in it with the stock motor. Either way I plan on running 3s and a direct power servo.

Yeah I’ve heard (read: watched on YouTube videos) a few coggy issues about the Furitek so far as if the vehicle needed a smaller pinion to accommodate it. And I haven’t read anywhere about it being waterproof either which is a big dealbreaker for me. I secretly wish there was a Hobbywing Fusion 380 sized motor/ESC setup for it. Mind you, I haven’t dug that deep into it. I’m wondering if a 380 sized 4-pole waterproof sensor less brushless motor paired with an ESC with FOC technology would work?

Old 03-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby5000 View Post
Yeah I’ve heard (read: watched on YouTube videos) a few coggy issues about the Furitek so far as if the vehicle needed a smaller pinion to accommodate it. And I haven’t read anywhere about it being waterproof either which is a big dealbreaker for me. I secretly wish there was a Hobbywing Fusion 380 sized motor/ESC setup for it. Mind you, I haven’t dug that deep into it. I’m wondering if a 380 sized 4-pole waterproof sensor less brushless motor paired with an ESC with FOC technology would work?

I recall hearing about the low speed issues with the Furitek system. I did screenshot a comment about a couple of the settings to change to improve the low speed control in the event that I go that route. I also have a Holmes Crawlmaster Mini V2 in another rig with a Revolver V3 and I’m on the fence about keeping it in that truck, or put the esc in the UTB18 with a 380 Revolver (or maybe paired with the Furitek motor???). Only a matter of time before we see some more options released. I’m absolutely impressed with the Crawlmaster Mini V2, and even though I feel I’m definitely better than average skill with a soldering iron, I’d prefer to see this esc available ready to go. I have seen it offered (not on Holmes site) pre-soldered for somewhere around $150 so I guess it’s a matter of what one’s willing to pay. As much as I love upgrading vehicles it can be pretty frustrating at the same time until the options available have some time to work the bugs out.
Old 03-07-2023, 06:11 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

I’ve got an honest (rookie) question here: I’ve got a Quicrun 1080 ESC (and new Rx) and I was thinking of throwing it on the TRX4M but would it make any difference at all with respect to the slow speed crawling using 2s batteries? Or would it ONLY make a difference if I went up to 3s.
Stock gearing (because North America is currently sold out of the low speed gears). I’ve got brass axle extensions on it but the tires still constantly bind-up on the body. And they bind up even in moderate torque situations.
I just don’t want to pull everything out and resolder the motor wires to the new ESC if it doesn’t solve the low speed torque issues. Sorry if that was rambly.