Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 09:51 AM   #41

Default Re: Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Great info - thanks!

Kit on order. That didn't take long eh??

I might try a 550 brushed with the extra HW1080 I have. Gets it moving for $20. I can always upgrade the motor and controller very easily.

I'm surprised you guys are skipping the 2-spd trans. Seems like an easy way to get crawling and speed done well.

So stock it has the high speed gearing? HH keeps saying 'power up and gear down'. LOL Smaller spur gear? Faster motor - like a 21 or 27T?
Congrats!

Trust me, go sensored and get the Mamba X ESC!

I don't feel the need for a 2-speed trans in the Bomber. Remember, it adds weight, complexity and another servo.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Which brushless motor size fits? 1410 or 1415? Or either? Is there a preference?
I'm shopping Castle combos...

And not a 'micro-X'? Why?

$140 at amazon: MAMBA MICRO X 12.6V ESC 1406-2850KV Sensored Combo

Also, why are some brushless motors rated like brushed, with a 'T'? Like 17T or 12T? Some show specs for KV, some don't.

Last edited by Browneye; 10-10-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Cool pic:

Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Mamba X esc at amazon: $115. Buy it now???
https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creati...ds=mamba+x+esc
Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

The micro x isnt designed for a heavy rig like the bomber. It'll he taxed to the max at all times and burn out.

The mamba x is a nice esc. $115 is a good price.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Pay attention to the quote from Holmes. Minimum startup speed is a key phrase. Higher Kv isn't going to affect the minimum startup since that is mostly dependant on the strength of the magnetic field hence why my 3500xl doesn't have a nice low rpm startup like a 3500 puller or stubby with weaker magnets. With a 5:1 first it starts very acceptably but it quickly runs out of gearing, it is very comparable to an rtr brushed bomber. Shift into high and things get fun. Startup is terrible but the strong magnets on the rotor make the midrange and high rpm stupid on 4s...

...For a basher or trail rig a nice 3000 kv brushless on 3s is solid all around but if you want to boogie couple that motor with a 2 speed and 4s.
I suppose it boils down to how fast you want to go, and how you want to do it. The 2850kv in my Bomber is plenty fast enough on 3S for how I play. The Bomber is uncontrollable on anything other than wide open, smooth ground, which isn't what I use it on. If I had a burning desire to go faster, I could jump up to 4S. The speeds that a 4S 2 speed 2850kv Bomber would get would be beyond stupid and totally uncontrollable, but I suppose for some people that's the point.
Quote:
Throttle sensitivity is another issue with higher kv. Yea you can dink around with the curve on the esc all day to make it similar to a lower kv but unless you're racing I don't see it being worth the time.
I chose to take 30 seconds in the Castle programming to "dink" with the curve on my Bomber and my Yeti. In the case of the bomber, it's a nice upward curve that gives me roughly 1/2 of my trigger pull in the first 1/4 of my throttle range, and the remaining 1/2 of my trigger pull for the remaining 3/4 of the range. It gives me fantastic low and mid speed control, but still lets me grab a fist full of throttle when I need the wheel speed. On my Yeti I have a shallower version of the same curve. Both took me no more than 30 seconds to program while I was in there setting other parameters anyway. Why wouldn't you do this?

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 10-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I suppose it boils down to how fast you want to go, and how you want to do it. The 2850kv in my Bomber is plenty fast enough on 3S for how I play. The Bomber is uncontrollable on anything other than wide open, smooth ground, which isn't what I use it on. If I had a burning desire to go faster, I could jump up to 4S. The speeds that a 4S 2 speed 2850kv Bomber would get would be beyond stupid and totally uncontrollable, but I suppose for some people that's the point.
I chose to take 30 seconds in the Castle programming to "dink" with the curve on my Bomber and my Yeti. In the case of the bomber, it's a nice upward curve that gives me roughly 1/2 of my trigger pull in the first 1/4 of my throttle range, and the remaining 1/2 of my trigger pull for the remaining 3/4 of the range. It gives me fantastic low and mid speed control, but still lets me grab a fist full of throttle when I need the wheel speed. On my Yeti I have a shallower version of the same curve. Both took me no more than 30 seconds to program while I was in there setting other parameters anyway. Why wouldn't you do this?

Set up the suspension correctly and you can go much faster than you think you can while remaining controllable. I run a Holmes 3500xl on 4s. Even with good suspension setup full throttle is fully uncontrollable even on smooth pavement. I did this for a reason. When you're full throttle and you hit a jump and the ass wants to pass the front you are out of wheel speed to bring the nose back up so you yard sale the rig. If you have enough on tap to do that same speed at 2/3 throttle then when things go awry you have more on tap to correct the attitude before landing. Hence why I always say that if full throttle is controllable you don't have enough power.

As to adjusting the curve I don't mess with it because of the above reasons. If you're going over a medium speed double and you have to grab a finger full of throttle that ramps up at the top end abruptly that's a light switch. I can get goofy and give a slight squeeze and correct easily. No need to go full boogie for minor correction.

The funniest part is I don't run a 2 speed in my bomber since I set it up for U4. It has a LCG forward motor skid using axial gears. It is still superior for bashing and trailing though. I'll build another to put the trans in for that use.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #48
RCC Addict

1800kv for the revolver?
I'm just ordering the mamba x - $115 is the deal of the day.

Going with HH servo as well - may as well order together. Gotta pick a motor though...
Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #49
RCC Addict

I didn't want to clutter JRH's thread so I'll put this here. I see you're pretty much on the Mamba X / HH Trailmaster BL path, and have reached the same decision point I was at with my Bomber...2700kv or 3300kv. I can't say much more about how totally thrilled I am with both slow startup, crawlability and WOT thrill with the 3300kv, so:

Hold off a couple days on buying a motor. I'll shoot some video Saturday of mine on 3S flat out across the yard, and some crawl speed footage, so you'll be able to see what you can expect with the setup, if you'd like.

If I had to make the choice again personally, I'd go with the 3300 six more times.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I didn't want to clutter JRH's thread so I'll put this here. I see you're pretty much on the Mamba X / HH Trailmaster BL path, and have reached the same decision point I was at with my Bomber...2700kv or 3300kv. I can't say much more about how totally thrilled I am with both slow startup, crawlability and WOT thrill with the 3300kv, so:

Hold off a couple days on buying a motor. I'll shoot some video Saturday of mine on 3S flat out across the yard, and some crawl speed footage, so you'll be able to see what you can expect with the setup, if you'd like.

If I had to make the choice again personally, I'd go with the 3300 six more times.
I believe you. Would still look at a video though. LOL

I went shopping for a cheaper alternative....there isn't any unless you order junk direct from China. HH gets it.

I had put a 2700 in my cart, and a 1800 revolver too. A toss up since I have nothing to base my decision on. If the 3300 works slow too then that makes it easy.

I really like the idea of the outrunner, and Durok says it's fast enough. I dunno, I'll likely end up with both just to see for myself. So now it's which to get first. [shrug] I was surprised John said Trailmaster since he's so hot for the Revolver.

Man, does everybody rave about the mamba x. Like the Hw1080 for the crawlers - a slam dunk I guess. Does it come with the cable you need to connect to a computer for programming? I thought I saw it has a 'coupon' to get one, but doesn't come with it? You have to order it?

I see RPP sells the HH stuff for the same price, but since they're in CA I have to pay sales tax. So 8% cheaper to order direct!

I was going to get his hv500 servo at the same time. Any pros and cons verses the ProModeler one? They're the same price. After all the support here from HH it make sense to support him back, so that's where I'm at currently.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Does it come with the cable you need to connect to a computer for programming? I thought I saw it has a 'coupon' to get one, but doesn't come with it? You have to order it?
Have to order the Castle link separately, yes.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

3300 is a good motor all across the board. It shines on 3s.

The shv500V2 should work well and not require a bec.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Man, does everybody rave about the mamba x. Like the Hw1080 for the crawlers - a slam dunk I guess. Does it come with the cable you need to connect to a computer for programming? I thought I saw it has a 'coupon' to get one, but doesn't come with it? You have to order it?
The Mamba X could be a turd, but the Aux feature alone would make it a great ESC. The fact that the rest of it works so well is a bonus. Having that aux feature tied to a rotary knob on my controller gives me all kinds of control over how the truck works. From 100% down to 10% I can adjust my drag brake strength, and if I turn the knob below 10% I get the normal forward/brake/reverse functionality that's so great to have at higher speeds.

The Mamba X can be programmed via a program card, but to really get the most out of it, you'll want the Castle Link to connect it to the PC. The ESC comes with a coupon for a free Castle Link.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
The ESC comes with a coupon for a free Castle Link.
Does it now? That's cool...$20 coupon.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Mamba x can be programmed using the radio, the field link works just like a regular link if you hook it to a computer but allows changing basic functions via the card itself.

I use the field link hooked to my phone to program castle escs.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #56

Quote:
The Mamba X could be a turd, but the Aux feature alone would make it a great ESC. The fact that the rest of it works so well is a bonus. Having that aux feature tied to a rotary knob on my controller gives me all kinds of control over how the truck works. From 100% down to 10% I can adjust my drag brake strength, and if I turn the knob below 10% I get the normal forward/brake/reverse functionality that's so great to have at higher speeds.

The Mamba X can be programmed via a program card, but to really get the most out of it, you'll want the Castle Link to connect it to the PC. The ESC comes with a coupon for a free Castle Link.
Exactly! I was a long time Castle hater (I still think their old stuff is shit), but the X series changed my mind completely and made me a fan. It's really innovative and the Auxiliary wire adds a level of fun sort of like a 2-speed, but the Rock Racer/Crawler mode is more useful.

It's stupid that they package a coupon instead of the Castle Link. But at least it's something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I use the field link hooked to my phone to program castle escs.
Castle has an app? Or do you mean you program wirelessly with the Bluetooth adapter?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's stupid that they package a coupon instead of the Castle Link. But at least it's something.
It's almost as if they cross their fingers and hope the user forgets about it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
It's almost as if they cross their fingers and hope the user forgets about it.
I don't recall seeing a coupon, so I guess it worked. I already had a link for a SW3 but I would've taken another free one.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I don't recall seeing a coupon, so I guess it worked. I already had a link for a SW3 but I would've taken another free one.
Maybe it doesn't anymore? When I bought my first Mamba X it had one, but I had already bought one (literally like a month before) to program a BEC. Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing a coupon in the last one I bought.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Quote:
Maybe it doesn't anymore? When I bought my first Mamba X it had one, but I had already bought one (literally like a month before) to program a BEC. Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing a coupon in the last one I bought.
CC's website product description lists a link coupon, so yeah, I prolly tossed it.

Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender MasteroFlego Newbie General 39 08-05-2017 08:08 AM
Axial SCX10 ll, SCX10, Gmade Sawback 4LS, Vaterra Ascender K5 From Malaysia. RCWin Videos! 2 12-01-2016 08:23 AM
ascender vs scx10? chuckatruck Vaterra Ascender 19 02-12-2015 08:32 AM