Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #121
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber???

Screw the spare...and the interior...

Some of the pictures are really decked out scale - they look great. Like 1.9 crawlers, I always tend to lean towards performance and just driving them, than ultimate scale. I just want to capture a little imagination.

The Voodoo tires are spendy - with foams a hundred bucks for a set? Ouch...all over again.

Hyraxs are $60 WITH foams. Yeah, I know...probly crappy foams. LOL

RockBeasts have been very good on my 1.9's.

We'll see. Thanks for all the good info here.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

HR is Hot Racing, here's a link to the swaybars:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hotrrt331x01.htm

I like to keep my Ascender a little more scale-accurate, 1.7" wheels and 4.19" tires, but the Bomber I treat sorta halfway as a shaftie crawler, half as a rock bouncer scaler...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Yes on Axial.

I don't look at the other brands. I'm stuck in Axial-Vaterra land. [shrug]

Batteries...

I was doing some research on voltage, gearing, and run times. I now have a 3s and 2s 5Kmah batts...if the 2s runtime is too short I can regear and go back to the 3s, just gear it down. That may end up being the better solution in the long run.

Sway bars...will look at those...what is 'HR'?
HR = Hot Racing.

I just use the Axial sway bars. They work.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #124

Quote:
Screw the spare...and the interior...

Some of the pictures are really decked out scale - they look great. Like 1.9 crawlers, I always tend to lean towards performance and just driving them, than ultimate scale. I just want to capture a little imagination.

The Voodoo tires are spendy - with foams a hundred bucks for a set? Ouch...all over again.

Hyraxs are $60 WITH foams. Yeah, I know...probly crappy foams. LOL

RockBeasts have been very good on my 1.9's.

We'll see. Thanks for all the good info here.
KLRs are really expensive and, in my experience in the terrain here on the East Coast, they fare worse than Proline and Pit Bull tires.

As far as your motor getting hot during speed runs that usually means you have to gear down.

I know a lot of people love HR sway bars, but mine stripped out while installing it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #125
RCC Addict

Hot Racing: https://hot-racing.com/index.cgi?c=0
Had never found this site before...lots of parts...for lots of rigs. If it's china import stuff they're making a killing here. LOL And they're right up the street from us here in So-Cal.
They do have the 68T spur gear in stock...hmmm...

I think I'll just run the Axial sway bar for now. Oh, and they have a really cool fuel cell cover...I may pick one up for some bling...$18 though? Geesh!

The one thing I see with the Ottsix tires is how they show various tread patterns based on trimming lugs. Quite creative actually. And they're really wide - like a full 2" or something.
I have SX and XL Pitbull's for 1.9 - I actually like the smaller tire better, but both perform very well. The bigger ones are, well, bigger. LOL They're huge tires on a 1.9 rig.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Hot Racing. cheap stuff that usually gets the job done despite all the vanquish fan boys hating on it.

as for 2.2 tires vs. scale KOH rear mount... would i be insane to build a 1.9 bomber? would i be shunned worse than those running HR stuff lol i mean this is what happens when a scale nerd tries to build something purposeful haha
i need to do some research... for research purposes only... ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Hot Racing. cheap stuff that usually gets the job done despite all the vanquish fan boys hating on it.

as for 2.2 tires vs. scale KOH rear mount... would i be insane to build a 1.9 bomber? would i be shunned worse than those running HR stuff lol i mean this is what happens when a scale nerd tries to build something purposeful haha
True story about HR. It usually works fine.

Not crazy at all. OSRC has built some crazy capable 1.9 Wraiths. It almost convinced me many times to make mine 1.9. But I'm lazy.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #128
RCC Addict

Quote:

1.9 tires max 4.75"
2.2 tires max 5.75"

On a 14" or so wheelbase. Maybe put just a smaller lighter spare on it? It seem more like a 1/8 scale rig in the first place. [shrug]

I saw some of the 2.2 tires are 5.5".
Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #129

Quote:
1.9 tires max 4.75"
2.2 tires max 5.75"

On a 14" or so wheelbase. Maybe put just a smaller lighter spare on it? It seem more like a 1/8 scale rig in the first place. [shrug]

I saw some of the 2.2 tires are 5.5".
But you don't need to keep the wheelbase at stock length...
Old 11-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
My winter project is to rebuild my already quite upgraded RTR Bomber with smaller tires, and an even shorter wheelbase (I've already shortened it by about 12mm). I'm going for a very scale, very capable, crawler-focused truck using the stock cage and skid.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #131
RCC Addict

Quote:
Shunned, excommunicated, deported and discharged. Yes.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #132
RCC Addict

Well I think I came up with a pretty good idea for the back end sans spare that I have not seen here yet...

Without anything back there it looks, well, just unfinished. And cut-off. I think the spare is too heavy and too high up, so I'm all for just leaving it off. I even ordered a Barndog Racing rear trim panel, along with the side number panels for the cage - the latter should work really well with this. And I've put the griffin radiator thingy and the bracket for it in my cart at RPP for some more detailing.

So not wanting to waste some good parts, I took the stock spare tire mount and cut the legs off about 5/8" of an inch and re-drilled them, re-attached it to the back member and re-purposed it for a flag-antenna base. It finishes off the back end giving it a tapered look much like the front, and adds some scale realism with a dune flag. Antenna is just plastic tubing so it will bend in a roll-over. And now that rear member is tucked way in between the rear tires, not hanging way off like stock.

Detailed the fuel cell too. Where does everybody get their filler tube and connectors bits?

Last edited by Browneye; 11-07-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #133
RCC Addict

That's different!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #134
RCC Addict

Finally got the 'special tool' for the 'ultra-hubs' from Locked-Up RC...
Only problem is they keep coming loose.
Nice look though - like the end of a dana-60 axle. I had to shorten the axle ends. One of them wasn't quite short enough and punched through the end of the cap. Oh well.

Ran it for a couple of hours yesterday crawling rocks - with 2S power. I was pleased with how long it went, but still think I'm missing the boat not regearing to run 3S.

I did put the 12T pinion back in for 2S - speed is good. Motor is a little warmer but not much. Re-setting the gear mesh quieted it down a lot - I guess I had it too tight. It's silent now.

I think I still want their 'widening rings' for wheel width to match the tires. And the stock tires aren't even that wide.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #135
RCC Addict

Widener rings finally came...
I like them. Really sets off the wheels and tires.

So far 2S power is working out well. I'm getting pretty good run time - at least a couple of hours for crawling. I'm sure if I was doing a lot of high-speed bashing around it would run the pack down much faster. Cheap and easy to just pick up another pack. For now this is working out the way I want. Slow speed is excellent, and still has plenty of wheelspeed without being difficult to control. I wanted to quit cart-wheeling it.

I got a SSD front dif-cover and alloy bearing straps for the carriers from RPP's holiday sale. I'm waiting for beef-tubes before updating the whole front axle.

Thanks for all the tips guys. This thing is way fun.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

thanks chris, now i have a bomber kit on my amazon wish list... ;)

(and an SCX-10II Raw Builders Kit... have i converted/defected?!?)

oh BTW to answer your fuel tubing question...
i detailed the one on my yeti the same way, use Tamiya transparent blue and red for your base coat silver AN fittings. or sharpie.
tubing you can use nitro fuel tubing. a good LHS will have scraps they might just give them to you. (mine charged me like $6 for a foot)
put a screw from inside the fuel lid so the tube has something to grip.
i just looked up at your pics again and saw you already did all that hahaha
well done sir!
wheels look AWESOME, number panels look great as you expected, and this is all really making my wallet tremble!

*oh, i only have one question: lights?

Last edited by Shinchu; 12-04-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #137
RCC Addict

It's a money-pit...

Old 12-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Browneye, your Bomber really came out nice, I like the unique touches you've given it.

The widener rings especially set it off.

I have a set of 1.9" Trail Ready's with the rings but currently have Command outer rings that will hide all the prettiness...

Gotta go back to the LURC site and pick up some open-style rings to allow a premium "view"!
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #139
I wanna be Dave

might trade my yeti for a bomber... we'll see what the guy says.

Durok i gotta check out your build, i think i will go 1.9 also...
and try to resist the urge to put VP curries under it hahaha

Lights look good Chris, keep it up!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #140
RCC Addict

Do it!!

I picked up the SSD alloy diff cover for the front, and alloy carrier bearing retainer straps. I was going to install them when I got beef-tubes in, at least for the front. Wouldn't hurt to do the back axle as well I guess.

The currie axles are too rich for my budget.
I would probly do a 'stage 1' kit first - they're $80, for all alloy knuckes and axle ends and such. We'll see what the new year brings.

Now I gotta convince my crawling buddies to build one too. It's not as much fun without some other rigs to chase. This thing is definitely in a different league from the 1.9 scalers/crawlers.

And speaking of 1.9, I would not put smaller wheels on it. I would do the Twin Hammers one instead, or something more suited for the smaller wheels. Maybe a cage-build for a SCX10 or something. You could narrow Bomber axles I guess, and shorten the wheelbase...but the 'why' keeps popping up in my head. [shrug]

Since installing the widening rings on the wheels now the front tires roll under on hard turns on a hard surface. Going to have to figure out something to update the foams.

Ascender/SCX10 to Bomber??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10-II vs RR10 Bomber vs Traxxas TRX-4 vs Vaterra Ascender MasteroFlego Newbie General 39 08-05-2017 08:08 AM
Axial SCX10 ll, SCX10, Gmade Sawback 4LS, Vaterra Ascender K5 From Malaysia. RCWin Videos! 2 12-01-2016 08:23 AM
ascender vs scx10? chuckatruck Vaterra Ascender 19 02-12-2015 08:32 AM