Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho - AX90022

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

.. still ranting! I have to vent about this.. Chrome wheels on a crawler!!! what's happening at Axial, i fear the worst.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
.. still ranting! I have to vent about this.. Chrome wheels on a crawler!!! what's happening at Axial, i fear the worst.

Funny that you say that. You have chrome wheels on your Bronco. Aftermarket ones and not ones that come with it too. And that is full chrome wheels, not just chrome rings on the edge?
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

more money and no beadlocks...wtf??????
passinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

and its not so much not being able to remove the tires to swap out cuase i would like to try a set but i cant and weight in the wheel with a glued on tire.
passinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
No beadlocks? what kind of crap is that. trying to sell more tires and rims are we? Greedy greedy, axial, i feel let down.. i hope your not jumping the shark here..

I bet the market research didn't like people using/swapping different tires for their different rigs.. Glue em up, that'll stop the fun. There comes a time in every manufacturers history where they build the brand, become respected, then start looking at ways to save money. Now that we have a client base lets make some cash. Well, learn from North American Car builders. It doesn't work.

Oh.. and have discontinued the model with beadlocks? it's begining.......

You have a lot to say for someone who joined the site a month ago

Cause axial totally cheesed out by putting replica walkers on the truck...cause you know...people werent paying 80$ a wheel from CTC a year or so back to have this style wheel...you wouldn't know that though being here only a month.

And chrome wheels is a problem on a crawler? Since when? Never seen a SEMA built rig?

Chrome won't get you home but bling don't hurt a thing
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No beadlocks? what kind of crap is that. trying to sell more tires and rims are we? Greedy greedy, axial, i feel let down.. i hope your not jumping the shark here..

I bet the market research didn't like people using/swapping different tires for their different rigs.. Glue em up, that'll stop the fun. There comes a time in every manufacturers history where they build the brand, become respected, then start looking at ways to save money. Now that we have a client base lets make some cash. Well, learn from North American Car builders. It doesn't work.

Oh.. and have discontinued the model with beadlocks? it's begining.......

Look threw the galleries not many folks do run the stock beadlocks and tires. Yeah it would have been nice to stay beadlocked, but axial has pumped out some sweet rigs, most switch tires and rims anyway. ITS a little thing to get bent over. I personally look forward to grabbing a set these wheels.
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

Cause axial totally cheesed out by putting replica walkers on the truck...cause you know...people werent paying 80$ a wheel from CTC a year or so back to have this style wheel...you wouldn't know that though being here only a month.

And chrome wheels is a problem on a crawler? Since when? Never seen a SEMA built rig?

I love that they got Walker Evans now (best looking wheels besides Raceline Monsters IMO) but just wished they could have stayed beadlocks. I know I can buy other (more expensive) ones later but why? My stock SCX10 wheels work fine, still hold a bead great and the hex's are still in good shape.

Also, I agree, there's nothing wrong with chrome wheels, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks and BFG Mud Terrains are a perfect combo on many trucks.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Artic Fire is a terrible troll... but this elitism is just as terrible, new peoples opinions don't count now.
rc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Not sure why they are going away from beadlock, I already have enough of that to do on my race vehicles.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #30
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc77 View Post
Artic Fire is a terrible troll... but this elitism is just as terrible, new peoples opinions don't count now.
Elitism? Hardly...what kills me is n00bs show up here (which is great, that is how the hobby grows) then come into a thread and HATE and post multiple post bad mouthing a vendor that if it weren't for this particular vendor we wouldn't be nearly where we are with "scale" as we are now. I never said his opinion shouldn't count or that he is not allowed to voice one. I just simply don't agree with the route he has taken to do such...That is my professional point view as a moderator here and as enthusiast that was a part of this forum long before we even had a bead lock wheel.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs down

I certainly hope that they are coming out with a new scale chassis in 2012. One with 1/10 scale versions of the wraith axle.

This RTR is cool but nobody I know is going to buy one. Seasoned R/C enthusiasts prefer to build their own.

On the plus side, the indy silver paintjob looks better than the olive drab military color body.

The non-beadlock wheels suck for the simple reason that was stated multiple times above - the need to add weight. WTF??? And I do actually know several scx-10 owners that run their stock rims with many different types of tires.
Kinda adds a touch of "K-Mart" or "Target" to the SCX-10 by adding glued rim and tire combo. - Makes me wish we had a thumbsdown smiley???

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 11-13-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:

Couldn't have said it better Besides alot of people still use hpi stock car wheels and those aren't beadlocks either
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #33
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
I certainly hope that they are coming out with a new scale chassis in 2012. One with 1/10 scale versions of the wraith axle.

This RTR is cool but nobody I know is going to buy one. Seasoned R/C enthusiasts prefer to build their own.

On the plus side, the indy silver paintjob looks better than the olive drab military color body.

The non-beadlock wheels suck for the simple reason that was stated multiple times above - the need to add weight. WTF??? And I do actually know several scx-10 owners that run their stock rims with many different types of tires.
Kinda adds a touch of "K-Mart" or "Target" to the SCX-10 by adding glued rim and tire combo. - Makes me wish we had a thumbsdown smiley???
No body is going to buy one? I think that statement is a little bit far fetched to say the least...

RTRs appeal to the "general" market which in order for most companies to stay a float must be done...It would be like Ford only building Boss mustangs and completely eliminating the 6 cylinder and regular GTs.

Yes, most real enthusiast do build there own rigs...Axial has to sell to everyone... That is how the "beginners" become the "enthusiast". Everyone has to start somewhere. This truck, like all other Axials before is the foundation for which many will build on. OR I can think of at least 3 friends locally that bought RTRs and just come over and thrash the crap out of them on my scale course. Not every single person is going to go all out.

Yes having the wheels pre glued does suck for the "enthusiast" However, I see many real enthusiast swapping for aluminum wheels and such anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Couldn't have said it better Besides alot of people still use hpi stock car wheels and those aren't beadlocks either

Yup, I am working on a build as I type this with non bead lock wheels
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Holy cow... easy

I am entitled to my opinions as is everyone else. Thing is, your assuming that I am new to crawling because I just joined the forum. Not everyone who is into the hobby is required to join this forum. Besides, someone with almost 1700 posts agrees with me. My problem with the chrome is that its on the outer rim, and will get chipped up pretty easily. My beadlock chrome is "protected" by the steel beadlock ring.

A forum is a place to share opinions and to talk about the hobby, so if you disagree with me, let's do just that, and talk about it.. Not hate someone because of their opinion. I don't want to make enemies here, so i'll be very careful how I voice opinions from now on.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 11-13-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #35
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Holy cow... easy

I am entitled to my opinions as is everyone else. Thing is, your assuming that I am new to crawling because I just joined the forum.

You are right you are entitled to an opinion. I didnt assume you were knew to crawling, I assumed you were knew to the forum...because you are.

Not everyone who is into the hobby is required to join this forum.

Never said they were

Besides, someone with almost 1700 posts agrees with me. My problem with the chrome is that its on the outer rim, and will get chipped up pretty easily. My beadlock chrome is "protected" by the steel beadlock ring.

Its rock crawling...the trucks get scratched...that is the nature of it. My 1:1 has tons of rash on the outer portion of the rim

A forum is a place to share opinions and to talk about the hobby, so if you disagree with me, let's do just that, and talk about it.. Not hate someone because of their opinion. I don't want to make enemies here, so i'll be very careful how I voice opinions from now on.

Not hating on you, and we are just talking. I am, like anyone else, just stating my opinion.

Carry on
Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #36

It happens every time, I order a new car and then a week later they release the updated version, Doh!

Note to self do more research before ordering a new kit.
DinPerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Correct me if I am wrong but with the parts included in the older Honcho RTR, were you not able to 4-link the rear anyway?
I think you would only need an additional two screws and nuts to complete it but I am sure the parts are there!

Nice that they have now made it like this from the factory as it can only aid with the performance

I am sure that this will be included in the new Honcho kit, when it is eventually released
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Just a quick FYI but there are several ways the tires can be removed from the wheels when already glued. Baking is one method, acetone is another. I have used both successfully.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Elitism? Hardly...what kills me is n00bs show up here (which is great, that is how the hobby grows) then come into a thread and HATE and post multiple post bad mouthing a vendor that if it weren't for this particular vendor we wouldn't be nearly where we are with "scale" as we are now. I never said his opinion shouldn't count or that he is not allowed to voice one. I just simply don't agree with the route he has taken to do such...That is my professional point view as a moderator here and as enthusiast that was a part of this forum long before we even had a bead lock wheel.
So just because a company is an innovator and brings us great products, all of their products forever after will be great no matter what...that is the essence of what you're saying. Every company should listen to the customers and learn, not just produce. And yes, it smacks of elitism...assuming that everybody is going to buy a truck and immediately buy a set of tires/wheels, etc.

No hate here, just lots of disappointment.

Axial, please make these nice lookin wheels with beadlocks. Personally I love the SCX10 original beadlocks, they are durable, good price, and look great, can paint the centers and/or swap different color rings!

Yes, I"ve done those...baking is a pita and time consuming but it works. You will have to trim off CA residue from the tire beads afterwards.

Acetone is easy, but it kills some foams and you have to buy acetone and new wheels.

Last edited by Natedog; 11-14-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
So just because a company is an innovator and brings us great products, all of their products forever after will be great no matter what...that is the essence of what you're saying. Every company should listen to the customers and learn, not just produce. And yes, it smacks of elitism...assuming that everybody is going to buy a truck and immediately buy a set of tires/wheels, etc.

No hate here, just lots of disappointment.

Axial, please make these nice lookin wheels with beadlocks. Personally I love the SCX10 original beadlocks, they are durable, good price, and look great, can paint the centers and/or swap different color rings!

Yes, I"ve done those...baking is a pita and time consuming but it works. You will have to trim off CA residue from the tire beads afterwards.

Acetone is easy, but it kills some foams and you have to buy acetone and new wheels.
Acetone is easy enough to come by, it's what nail polish remover is made from.

I have also not had to replace the wheels when removing the tires with acetone. Put it on a qtip and work around the bead.

None of it is simple, but it all works well.

In the end, it's an RTR and never will have everything everyone wants. Axial obviously did some trade offs all while trying to preserve a specific price point. I would be willing to bet that Axial paid very close attention to the market when developing their new offerings.

The way many of you talk, it's is if the truck will be completely useless.

What's funny is, most people who build and care don't buy the RTR anyway. I have several SCX based trucks and only ever bought the first kit. Everything else I source the parts I want and build from there. Seems to be what most others do as well.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote