Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho - AX90022

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #41
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I'll say what I've said a hundred times already.. I'm very dissapointed with Axial for abandoning beadlock wheels with the Wraith and now these new Dingo/Honcho platforms...

How can some of you guys possibly defend Axial for this decision? It's not cheaper for the customer. And I've seen A LOT of trucks using the stock beadlocks, myself included.. They are cheap and very easy to assemble and are reliable.. I'm sure as hell not going to go through the hassle to get glued tires off just to swap foams or make weight adjustments, that's just insane to suggest it's not a big deal to do that... Not when I can take apart a beadlock wheel in under a minute with my screw gun and do what I need to do and have it back together in 5 minutes.

Accepting this just because of Axials past products and actions that have helped this community means nothing if they start doing otherwise now and in the future. Shame on you Axial.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Maybe, just maybe axial is doing this for a bigger picture thing. Maybe they have a new beadlock coming out, so cool its worth the wait. Heck idk but Im not gonna hate on a company that has taking crawling and scalers to everyone from new builders to long time builders and crawlers in a RTR . I remember yrs ago building scalers from scratch and crawlers from clods cuz there wasnt another option. IDk but I bet there is a much bigger pitcure here then we can see.

I LOVE AXIAL been a customer since before the acx10. Will continue to buy till someone prys my cold dead fingers from my axial rigs
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #43
RCC Addict

wraith is cheaper then this one
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

i was gonna post this when I found out but ya beat me to it. It made me laugh to think everyone though that the Honcho was actually gonna be done away with. Is the ESC gonna be better? The Honcho, and Dingo rtrs that I bought along with my buddys Wraith rtr esc were garbage. very temperamental and all had to be redone do to bad soldering.

Last edited by JasonW; 11-14-2011 at 10:13 PM.
JasonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I'll say what I've said a hundred times already.. I'm very dissapointed with Axial for abandoning beadlock wheels with the Wraith and now these new Dingo/Honcho platforms...

How can some of you guys possibly defend Axial for this decision? It's not cheaper for the customer. And I've seen A LOT of trucks using the stock beadlocks, myself included.. They are cheap and very easy to assemble and are reliable.. I'm sure as hell not going to go through the hassle to get glued tires off just to swap foams or make weight adjustments, that's just insane to suggest it's not a big deal to do that... Not when I can take apart a beadlock wheel in under a minute with my screw gun and do what I need to do and have it back together in 5 minutes.

Accepting this just because of Axials past products and actions that have helped this community means nothing if they start doing otherwise now and in the future. Shame on you Axial.

It's not like they just took away beadlocks, and called it a day. Driveshafts were upgraded too.

1.) It would cost more to do the driveshaft upgrade, than to add beadlocks.
2.) Beadlocks were a nice add on, but the driveshafts were mandatory as the factory set-up is junk.
3.) If I had to pull an rtr honcho out of the box, do nothing to it, and expect to make it on a full 2+ hour trail run, I would choose the new Honcho, as I would expect the old ones driveshafts to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacon View Post
i was gonna post this when I found out but ya beat me to it. It made me laugh to think everyone though that the Honcho was actually gonna be done away with. Is the ESC gonna be better? The Honcho, and Dingo rtrs that I bought along with my buddys Wraith rtr esc were garbage. very temperamental and all had to be redone do to bad soldering.
I have not seen many if any posts of people having issues with the new ESC. I love it! Wonder if you are doing something wrong on your end if you have had so many issues? I've never heard Castle as being described as a poor quality ESC maker...
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

quote from axial's website

"Do you hate having to glue up your tires? (I do!) What about when you have to replace the tires and have to throw out a perfectly good wheel? (I hate that too!) Well, don’t worry; we have (should read HAD) you covered with the Axial bead-lock series of wheel"

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 11-15-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
It's not like they just took away beadlocks, and called it a day. Driveshafts were upgraded too.

2.) Beadlocks were a nice add on, but the driveshafts were mandatory as the factory set-up is junk.
3.) If I had to pull an rtr honcho out of the box, do nothing to it, and expect to make it on a full 2+ hour trail run, I would choose the new Honcho, as I would expect the old ones driveshafts to fall off.

I have not seen many if any posts of people having issues with the new ESC. I love it! Wonder if you are doing something wrong on your end if you have had so many issues? I've never heard Castle as being described as a poor quality ESC maker...
each one had multiple breaks in the wiring being to the receiver from the esc. I think the way they bunch the wiring up and zip tie them on the rtr kits had a major play in them. Other than that a lil soldering and removing some of the wiring no more problems.
JasonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #48

I'll start off by saying I'm an Axial supporter, all of my competition rigs are axial (both 1.9 & 2.2 classes)

I don't have an issue with Axial providing low(er) grade entry level RTR's for the beginners...
BUT Why discontinue the Kits?
even the new Dingo builders kit has glued tires..

Where are the products for us "enthusiasts"???

On another thought it will give the aftermarket industry a good boost with a higher demand for upgraded parts.
In the past a lot of people would run their original flatirons because they were just as effective as any other tire out there, but now... those that want to compete will be buying wheels and tires.

Is it just me or is the 1.9/scale market moving away from rock crawler in favor of "bash and thrash" (a.k.a. go fast)

just my 2 cents

cheers,
Chris
Little Blind Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #49
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
So just because a company is an innovator and brings us great products, all of their products forever after will be great no matter what...that is the essence of what you're saying. Every company should listen to the customers and learn, not just produce. And yes, it smacks of elitism...assuming that everybody is going to buy a truck and immediately buy a set of tires/wheels, etc.

No hate here, just lots of disappointment.
Again, people are trying to put words in my mouth...it's one thing to be disappointed its another to straight out bash the vendor...Which IMO Artic was doing.

If everyone is so hell bent over the bead locks maybe you guys can buy a tamiya, or hpi or...o wait...none of those guys have a scale crawler like Axails or even include bead lock wheels. Tamiya is FAMOUS for using the same 1.9 wheels over and over. At least Axail produced a replica wheel that is in demand. I would say that is listening and learning from the customer.

Would a bead lock wheel have been better? ABSOLUTELY

Is the truck not going to sell because of this? I doubt that...

Do a lot guys replace the wheels anyways? I see a lot of scx10s with different wheels
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Hmmmm.. my dingo for $274 it came with the ae3 radio and esc with drag brake so that's not new... Soo we pay $50-75 more for crap wheels, decent driveshafts and ok tires... No thanks.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Atleast the dingo kit is decently priced still
Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Is the street price expected to be more than the previous version? Are people getting all riled up over tower and other vendors listing the price as $355:

TowerHobbies.com | AX90022 Axial 1/10 SCX10 Trail Honcho 4WD EP RTR

I know Tower often lists the price much higher on a new rig that is not in stock yet, and when the rig shows up in stock, the actual price is listed.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #53
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

They did do exactly that though.. They took away some great O.E.M beadlocks that always came standard for a crappy glue on wheel so no one can tune the foams and weights even though they recommend doing that right in the manuals. Gonna be hard when the newbie glues his tires on and then decides he wants to experiment. Oh yeah thats right, MAKE him/her spend more money on someone elses aftermarket beadlocks. Brilliant.

As for the driveshafts, I love the new thru-pin design but I must say I've never had an older driveshaft fall off.. My original scx-10 must have close to 50 miles on it from all the hiking trails I've explored. Never had failures of any kind with the driveshafts. That's a discussion for another time though.

All in all, they took away something good and replaced it with something bad. That's the plain simple truth. That's what people such as myself have a major problem with. Gotta stop trying to justify it.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
Hmmmm.. my dingo for $274 it came with the ae3 radio and esc with drag brake so that's not new... Soo we pay $50-75 more for crap wheels, decent driveshafts and ok tires... No thanks.
I was speaking with a distributor and they were telling me that when Axial first put in the new ESC and 2.4 radio they did not change the price. They believe that this is just Axial correcting that mistake.
rc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc77 View Post
I was speaking with a distributor and they were telling me that when Axial first put in the new ESC and 2.4 radio they did not change the price. They believe that this is just Axial correcting that mistake.
Good point! I was happy to still find a green bodied Honcho at CKRC for $285.00. I have been thinking about getting a SCX10 for a while, and this seems like the perfect time! I can't wait!
MauriceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
people [were] paying 80$ a wheel from CTC a year or so back to have this style wheel...you wouldn't know that though being here only a month.
Quote:
I didnt assume you were knew to crawling, I assumed you were knew to the forum...because you are.

hmm.

anyways.. cool new paint axial.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
...Gotta stop trying to justify it.
Do I like the non-beadlocks? No. (I don't even like that walker evans mall cruiser style of wheel in general, but that is besides the point). I just feel the new one is overall better in comparison when everything is taken into account.

If they really are making the new price higher, I will not be buying one. If it stays the same, I will be ordering one the day tower has them available.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Default Great job Axial

I will be the one to say that I am a noob to scale crawling,But I still don't see why you guys are bashing the fact that they went to glued tires I mean it is a rtr honcho I'm surprised axial even put bead locks on the the first olive rtr version, I mean I never even got mine on the trails yet and I had already change the plastic links to the aluminum link set and steering and made a chassis mounted servo put 1/2 of weight in the front and then it when on its first voyage with about 40 other crawlers and then I was hooked now I'm looking into building my own scale from ground up My point is that what axial is doin for the scale scene is awesome they are attracting noobs with awesome looks of the honcho dingo and wraith so what if they are trying to save some money in the process they got to eat to All hail AXIAL
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #59
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post

hmm.

anyways.. cool new paint axial.

Thanks for fixing my quote...They were indeed more money then they are now. He is even making them in 1.7 size the last I heard.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Is the street price expected to be more than the previous version? Are people getting all riled up over tower and other vendors listing the price as $355:

TowerHobbies.com | AX90022 Axial 1/10 SCX10 Trail Honcho 4WD EP RTR

I know Tower often lists the price much higher on a new rig that is not in stock yet, and when the rig shows up in stock, the actual price is listed.

Rpp has them at that price too.