Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho - AX90022

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc77 View Post
I was speaking with a distributor and they were telling me that when Axial first put in the new ESC and 2.4 radio they did not change the price. They believe that this is just Axial correcting that mistake.
That sounds all fine and dandy but sounds far fetched. I know if I took a pinto and made it look like a shelby, I wouldn't forget to change the price till months after I started the sells. You don't forget stuff like that.

People act like they didn't see price changes comming. I'm not sure if you haven't noticed but, the economy sucks and prices are up on everything. The are a business and they have to make a living like all of us. Does it suck the took away 1 good thing and raised the price, yes it does but hey, its life. Why buy a rtr anyways? Don't most of you change most the parts besides trans case, axles and frames anyways? Tamiya sells their crawlers for $350+ why can't axial?
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
Rpp has them at that price too.
In stock? Or just a listing for future stock?
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Why buy a rtr anyways? Don't most of you change most the parts besides trans case, axles and frames anyways?
I would like to have built mine too, but for only $25 more, I was able to get a 2.4 radio, a castle ESC, and a decent servo. I wasn't going to pass that up. Plus I've had my truck basically completely apart since I got it anyway.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Just thought I would add something I noticed in the new RTR instructions...

It now seems to come with a 14T pinion instead of the 20T as found in the older RTR's. This will definately help the crawlability albeit with some reduced wheel speed. This is great as most eventually run a 14T with a higher turn motor.

Picture in the manual shows the 20T but the part number reflects the 14T. Have mailed Axial but still waiting for confirmation on what exactly is included.

Tower shows it to include a 14T although they still list it with beadlock rings so can't really consider their information to be accurrate for now!
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
I would like to have built mine too, but for only $25 more, I was able to get a 2.4 radio, a castle ESC, and a decent servo. I wasn't going to pass that up. Plus I've had my truck basically completely apart since I got it anyway.
I've bought rtr too when the prices were under $300 and close. Not the kit is $240ish and the rtr is $355ish. That's over a $100 diferance.

Idk if its in stock but it doesn't say out of stock (when I looked on the page). It seems.that axial as a corperation is taking a different route then previous. Who knows, it could be a turn for the better or it can be the turn for the worse cause it seems like everyone is getting purty upset on what they are changing (parts and prices).
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #66
RCC Addict

uh, what's wrong with the SCX10 axles that we need narrowed wraith axles? Just the look (diff cover etc)? Or is it just the Big johnson effect ie; just gotta have one tons on my daily driver/wheeler...
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
uh, what's wrong with the SCX10 axles that we need narrowed wraith axles? Just the look (diff cover etc)? Or is it just the Big johnson effect ie; just gotta have one tons on my daily driver/wheeler...
The new one piece housing is better in several ways.

1 - Stronger link mounting points
2 - Easy ring and pinion gear access
3 - Stronger Universal Style front axles
4 - Stronger servo mount
5 - XR10 style c-hub mounting
6 - Plastic material formula is more durable
7 - Easier to make water-tight
8 - Drain plug on bottom of pumpkin
9 - No need for beef toobs
10 - Yes, they look cool - Just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too wide
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

I like those non-BL rims.

So, if that's a deal breaker for you, I have 15 brand new axial 1.9 BL rims from kits & RTR's that I did not use. I'll trade you straight up 5 for 5.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post

4 - Stronger servo mount
x2.....................totally agree!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:

4 - Stronger servo mount
Gotcha, they're more scale with a bit more beef. I've never had issues with the scx10's housing durability, I always break stuff upstream
Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

It would be cool if axial made the wraith style axle at the ax10/scx10 width. But I think if they did the price of a scx10 would not be exeptable by most of us. The rtr are at $350 or so and with thoughs axles it would prolly be up over $400.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Man, everybody jumped on me and ripped me a new one when i vented my frustrations. It seems that the majority of the people commenting share my concerns. Everybody keeps saying that they change the rims afterwords, and that may be true. Hardcore scalers say that they change most of stock parts, and that whatever stock parts the truck comes with are not important... But you are not the target market for the RTR's. Noobs are. Thats why it's RTR. And if noobs are discouraged by the change, then sales will suffer.

And I will say this as carefully as I can so i don't go down in flames again; [It is my opinion] For Noobs, the functional beadlocks are more important as a stock feature then the shafts. Many people new to crawling, who buy the RTR's, don't upgrade the motors and esc's right away, and I think the old shafts will hold up fine if your crawling your RTR (not bashing). The ability to experiment with tread pattern, composition of tires and weight in the wheels is of more interest if the crawler is already perfectly functional.

True many people new to crawling graduate onto new esc's and motors, but arguably (again, in my opinion) what makes the $150 beadlocks function BETTER than the stock SCX-10 locks? It could be that i have never driven one of these wheels on my rigs, but aren't they just for asthetics? Bling factor? what makes them exponentially greater than the stocks? They both can be weighted and they both hold a bead.
The old stock beadlocks could, again, arguably, last the life of the truck. That is why they were an awesome thing to include in the kit.

Just an opinion from a 2 year entry level recreational crawler (SCX's target market), and 15 year Rc'er. Maybe I need more experience for my opinions to be valid, please discuss not Flame.

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 11-20-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It would be cool if axial made the wraith style axle at the ax10/scx10 width. But I think if they did the price of a scx10 would not be exeptable by most of us. The rtr are at $350 or so and with thoughs axles it would prolly be up over $400.
Not true. Wraith kit is cheaper that Wraith RTR

I personally think that they are developing the next generation of 1/10 scaler, and that's the reason behind the transition from the honcho kits to RTR. And the dingo didn't sell anywhere near the level of the honcho, so they are probably looking to sell more dingo plastic that is already molded, which is smart.

Axial listens to their customers, so that's why I threw my 2 cents in
Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
Man, everybody jumped on me and ripped me a new one when i vented my frustrations. It seems that the majority of the people commenting share my concerns. Everybody keeps saying that they change the rims afterwords, and that may be true. Hardcore scalers say that they change most of stock parts, and that whatever stock parts the truck comes with are not important... But you are not the target market for the RTR's. Noobs are. Thats why it's RTR. And if noobs are discouraged by the change, then sales will suffer.

And I will say this as carefully as I can so i don't go down in flames again; [It is my opinion] For Noobs, the functional beadlocks are more important as a stock feature then the shafts. Many people new to crawling, who buy the RTR's, don't upgrade the motors and esc's right away, and I think the old shafts will hold up fine if your crawling your RTR (not bashing). The ability to experiment with tread pattern, composition of tires and weight in the wheels is of more interest if the crawler is already perfectly functional.

True many people new to crawling graduate onto new esc's and motors, but arguably (again, in my opinion) what makes the $150 beadlocks function BETTER than the stock SCX-10 locks? It could be that i have never driven one of these wheels on my rigs, but aren't they just for asthetics? Bling factor? what makes them exponentially greater than the stocks? They both can be weighted and they both hold a bead.
The old stock beadlocks could, again, arguably, last the life of the truck. That is why they were an awesome thing to include in the kit.

Just an opinion from a 2 year entry level recreational crawler (SCX's target market), and 15 year Rc'er. Maybe I need more experience for my opinions to be valid, please discuss not Flame.

Also, I understand Axial is a sponsor of this site, so moderate away..
I think you got grief for how you stated things before in this post. When you talk about them like you did in this post it is much more useful. That is a good post you just made and nicely written with good feedback. Some of the others were for a lack of better words...Trolish. I am not trying to be the typing police. Just saying your latest post was much better put and not offensive and bashing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here. It is just how they go about voicing it that can bring the flame. You just went a mile in the right direction

There are a lot of people on these forums. And if they buy a new SCX10 after reading about them here, they are not quite a noob as the person who knows nothing about them and goes into a shop and buys one. Somebody that gets one after learning on here will be way ahead of the game. They can get a real sense of what they are getting into ahead of time. Get to know the strengths and weakness before ever buying. Someone who doesn't know anything about them and goes into a shop and sees it. Well I doubt they would care less about how the tires are mounted. Many of those people may not even know what a beadlock tire is. And that is a big part of what Axial would or should want to attract. Getting new people into the sport and their products. The new kits are more attractive imho and will do a good job of that. If you take all of the sales of scx10's I am sure a large majority of them are bought by new people coming into this sport that just like the looks of it. Then now having it they do some searching and come across this site. I have seen many posts supporting that thought.

Just another thought behind why they may have made some changes they did.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #75
RCC Addict

so, the major thing i am not down with on RTR's is the pre=painted bodies. most of the time they are horrible. plus, most RTR's have electronics in them that get replaced anyway.

i would personally like to see axial release a honco in an ARR roller with a clear body.

anyway, at least with them painting this body in silver, we can always do the trick of painting the outside and getting scratches on the body.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
so, the major thing i am not down with on RTR's is the pre=painted bodies. most of the time they are horrible. plus, most RTR's have electronics in them that get replaced anyway.

i would personally like to see axial release a honco in an ARR roller with a clear body.

anyway, at least with them painting this body in silver, we can always do the trick of painting the outside and getting scratches on the body.
Your statement may be correct if you said most people on here, but most people buying these products do not come on here. Many people the world over don't do much of anything with their RTR's other than drive them and fix them when they break.

I see plenty of people using stock parts on the RTR's all the time.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #77
RCC Addict

I have had 3 sxc10s...2 Kits and one RTR. I understand the draw of the RTR, but really, with all my personal preferences, there was plenty of work to get the rig up to snuff. I prefer a mirrored transmission and that is much easier to do while building, as opposed to doing pulling a built one apart and doing it, in addition to removing and spinning the center skid. I also really prefer the battery weight up front. the wheels need the weights for the stuff I do and while not great in the moist loam and mud here in Maine, the Flat Irons are decent on the granite. It's easier to add 3 or so ounces of weight while building as opposed to pulling the wheels apart...and in the case of the new setup, gluing tires adds another dimension.

I think the original Price difference between the Kit and RTR was an anomaly, for sure as the aluminum links were the only hardware advantage. It seems plausible that the kit was a surprise hit in the world of RC where RTR has taken over.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #78
RCC Addict

I am a newbie still working on getting my Honcho kit together and the body painted. It was the perceived low cost and the ability to change bodies that attracted me to scx10. When I purchased the kit, I paid no attention at at all as to what kind of wheels came with the kit so they had no impact on my decision to buy the kit.

When the kit arrived, I took a look contents of the box and the instructions. "What the @&$! Have I done"was the first thought that came to mind. That is when I started searching online for help and when I found this forum. For me the amount of information and online help to build and mod the SCX10 out weighs what ever Axial decides to include for wheels.

Please flame gently as this is my first post.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

It's a "Skill Building" challenge. Many of us got our start in a mechanical field by building kits when we were kids. Go for it and learn a thing or two while you are at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
I am a newbie still working on getting my Honcho kit together and the body painted. It was the perceived low cost and the ability to change bodies that attracted me to scx10. When I purchased the kit, I paid no attention at at all as to what kind of wheels came with the kit so they had no impact on my decision to buy the kit.

When the kit arrived, I took a look contents of the box and the instructions. "What the @&$! Have I done"was the first thought that came to mind. That is when I started searching online for help and when I found this forum. For me the amount of information and online help to build and mod the SCX10 out weighs what ever Axial decides to include for wheels.

Please flame gently as this is my first post.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
It's a "Skill Building" challenge. Many of us got our start in a mechanical field by building kits when we were kids. Go for it and learn a thing or two while you are at it

Yessir...started building Tamiya kits in the mid 80's...then building the 1:1's in the 90's and up and now both