Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 suspension droop vs sprung

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX10 suspension droop vs sprung

This is my current setup

I have had people say that I should lower the body, it is currently in a sprung setup and yes I think it looks a little to "jacked" however I love the clearance when handling big terrain. When I first installed these g-transition internal spring oil shocks I tested a droop setup but never crawled with it. I thought it looked too low to the ground so I went sprung. What I would like to know is, would there be any performance gains from going droop or is it better to say the same and drop my body mount posts and trim flares/bumper to fit? I get a little wheel rub as it is.
Thank you.
Dgrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX10 suspension droop vs sprung

Search droop suspension on here and I'm sure you'll find all the info you need It comes down to personal preferance in the end though.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I have read several threads on it. Now I am looking for a few hands to size up my rig and give an opinion
Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The body does look a little high. And indeed sprung vs droop is a matter of preference. Form and function is a delicate balance within scalers.

My preferences are down the middle of the road for the most part... A lot of low weight primarily forward/some high weight, almost 50/50 sprung vs droop and limited articulation with a low slung body among other things.

Experimentation is key
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
The body does look a little high. And indeed sprung vs droop is a matter of preference. Form and function is a delicate balance within scalers.

My preferences are down the middle of the road for the most part... A lot of low weight primarily forward/some high weight, almost 50/50 sprung vs droop and limited articulation with a low slung body among other things.

Experimentation is key
Oh man I know what ya mean, performance wise I am completely satisfied with the suspension as is, however I dislike the "all to jacked" aspect. I think I may just have to start trimming the body and lower the body posts accompanied by some extra wheel weights. The ground clearance is just too sweet to give up on, lol
Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Height of the body doesn't really matter; there's no weight there. You want the chassis to be as low as possible to keep the weight low. Then cut and lift the body itself just enough to not rub...or not rub much.

I can tell by the angle of your links that you are definitely running way too high. And what's up with those shocks? They look like AX-10 shocks and they're angled all sorts of wacky. On a scaler, they should be straight up and down, or failing that, with the tops angled in.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Height of the body doesn't really matter; there's no weight there. You want the chassis to be as low as possible to keep the weight low. Then cut and lift the body itself just enough to not rub...or not rub much.

I can tell by the angle of your links that you are definitely running way too high. And what's up with those shocks? They look like AX-10 shocks and they're angled all sorts of wacky. On a scaler, they should be straight up and down, or failing that, with the tops angled in.
There ya go! That's the criticism that I'm lookin for! Thank you, now I can seriously look at my rig with some new eyes and adjust. I am going to seriously have to adjust my suspension setup. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

So I have gone ahead and switched to a droop, looks a lot more scale but I'm not sure how it will respond just yet, I will post again when I have a crawl with it

Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

Which way did you end up going been wondering the same thing myself. I would like to hear what you think is better.
Chack100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chack100 View Post
Which way did you end up going been wondering the same thing myself. I would like to hear what you think is better.
Read his post above yours, he said he went to a droop setup.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I run the g transition internal shocks on my wraith and I don't run FULL droop but I did cut some coils out of the springs and it handles well. Completely different geometry from an scx... But still... Just my two cents.
Soulo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have had several crawls with the droop now and I am extremely pleased, the lower center of gravity 100% trumps the ground clearance. Much more fun for me. I also weighted
my wheels. 6oz in each front and 3oz in each back wheel, combined with my steel rc4wd internal beadlocks, really changed my game for the better.

SCX10 suspension droop vs sprung - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1 - Sprung or Droop? adrians3109 G-Made Crawlers 8 08-17-2010 08:41 PM
droop and sprung shocks? NeXt559 General Crawlers 5 07-20-2008 11:33 PM
Droop or sprung? which way to go? jlmotox Newbie General 1 04-08-2008 12:46 PM
Droop vs Sprung set ups... ncmtb Newbie General 10 01-12-2008 06:51 PM
Sprung droop or both ? RaceChat Newbie General 1 01-05-2008 01:17 AM