Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RcBros Leaf Sprung Hilux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RcBros Leaf Sprung Hilux

A couple pics from the comp.

bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

I have all the parts underway to switch over to a link set up on the Yota after destroying the leafs at the last comp.
I ordered up the Dinky Cantilever kit to take care of things out back and blumaro hooked me up with a new SSD CMS kit for the front.
I also found a good deal on the forum for a SCX chassis, tranny and shocks so I will be swapping chassis so I don't have to deal with brazing up all the holes in this one from the leaf mounts.
Hopefully I'll have everything reworked before the next comp and can get some drive time in before Nats so I can get the truck dialed.

If you missed the pics of the leaf carnage from the comp last Sunday they are worth taking a look at.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

My parts arrived over the last couple days so I was able to get the Hilux' suspension in order. I was lucky enough to find a set of new lowers and some upper links in my parts box to get the axles in place.
Then yesterday my new SSD CMS kit arrived from blumaro, This kit is very nice! Thanks Ralph! I also decided to try the MKS DS1220 servo that Tim Smith has been raving about on FB. It is a nice unit so far and has pretty good speed, hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out later this week.

I didn't want to loose any suspension travel and I really didn't want to grind on the new chassis so I made a few creative bends in my panhard bar and got it to clear everything.

Fully compressed it misses the axle case, servo and chassis rail.

Today the final piece of the puzzle arrived in the form of a Dinky Cantilever shock kit. This is a really nice unit and a must have for rigs like mine with a drop bed.

I did add an aluminum cross member to the chassis since the stock cross members cant be used with the kit.

I saw this Novak Timbuk2 system on the board last night and it turns out the guy is a local so I was able to pick it up from him today. I'm not familiar with brushless systems but there are a few guys in our club who run them on their C2 and C1 rigs and like them a lot so I may install it in the truck to give it a try.

Here's how the truck sits now that it is linked, not too bad.

Last few things on the list before the next comp are to install inner fenders, and repair the body damage from the last comp.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
I also decided to try the MKS DS1220 servo that Tim Smith has been raving about on FB.[/URL]
If it wasn't for Tim....

I bet this link set up will hold up much better.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #105

Looks good!
milehigh970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a dinky cantilever too because of my drop bed. Works perfect and glad I got it.

Truck looks good
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

I may have to come up with a sway bar for the rear, as nice as the Dinky Cantilever setup is there isn't much you can do to alleviate torque twist and with the heavier body it tends to bounce from one side to the other which will hurt me on side hills and steep climbs during a comp.

Hopefully I can come up with something before the 22nd.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #108

As a noob I have really enjoyed this thread. Great reading and I learned a lot.
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

I am sooo glad I didn't sell this Wraith front sway bar I had laying around now. The sway bar worked out beautifully for the rear of the Hilux to eliminate the body roll I was getting. I used the softest sway bar from the pack and it appears to be perfect. I did switch out to a shorter turnbuckle and add a couple spacers but everything else lined right up.

And showing the clearance between the sway bar and the bottom of the bed when compressing the suspension.

The true test will be at the next comp but I think it is going to work out great.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Great build I love the bobbed yota look

Thanks for posting the swaybar info

I have a RC Bros leaf sprung XJ and installed a Dinky kit on it a few days before a comp. I had to take it off before the comp due to the torque twist and lack of time before the comp to try, and sort it all out. I'm Gonna give this a shot
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801RYAN View Post
Great build I love the bobbed yota look

Thanks for posting the swaybar info

I have a RC Bros leaf sprung XJ and installed a Dinky kit on it a few days before a comp. I had to take it off before the comp due to the torque twist and lack of time before the comp to try, and sort it all out. I'm Gonna give this a shot
The sway bar is a must for these heavier rigs unless it's strictly a trail rig.

The hole I drilled is exactly 5/8" past that last factory hole where my brace is mounted and is the same diameter as the sway bar.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Inner fenders are done up front.

Mandatory flex shot. Pretty happy with the suspension travel with the sway bars.

The truck is sitting at 55 pts right now. As soon as I add the exhaust pipe, interior cage and rear cage I'll be maxed out.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

First comp tomorrow morning with the new setup. I haven't even had a chance to really drive the truck since I linked it and added the new shock and sway bar setup, hopefully everything works out for me this time.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

So how did it do?
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

The truck did much better then me. I was half expecting it to act more like it did when I drove it with the leaf springs, a little tippy but it was night and day different so I guess you can say I over drove it at first.
I did end the day middle of the pack with a 3rd place which isn't bad for a untested truck I guess.
The sway bar performed perfectly, very happy with that decision.

RcBros Leaf Sprung Hilux - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
leaf sprung yota emac 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 01-28-2009 09:52 PM
leaf sprung tlt rockschooler Newbie General 2 06-26-2006 07:57 PM