Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Building a kit for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Default Building a kit for the first time

I have decided on a new model and I want a G6 more than anything. I have never built a kit, and don't have a lot of patience, and am not that skilled with tools.

Regarding those facts, how difficult do you think I would find the build? I watched a video on Ultimate RC on Youtube regarding painting the body, which doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be. How many hours would you say this kit "should" take?

Any advice would be appreciated.
43YrOldRCFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I assembled my g6 kit including painting the body in 5 hours last Friday. But if you don't have patience and are not that skilled with tools and you have never done it before I would say wait till the rtr comes out in a few weeks
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #3

Default Re: Building a kit for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb View Post
I assembled my g6 kit including painting the body in 5 hours last Friday. But if you don't have patience and are not that skilled with tools and you have never done it before I would say wait till the rtr comes out in a few weeks
Ahhhh, funny you mention this! I emailed Axial yesterday and asked if there were any plans to offer it as an RTR and hadn't heard back. Great news, do you know of a date, or where did you read this?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Buy the kit and build it. It's not difficult. I had never done one before my first and I was pleased at how easy it was. Best way to learn is to do it yourself. Tools, socket head drivers and a good pair of needle nose pliers will build 99% of the kit.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
Tools, socket head drivers and a good pair of needle nose pliers will build 99% of the kit.
I am very limited on tools. If it's coming in an RTR version, I'll wait for sure, but am trying to confirm this. I know one of the hobby shops in my area has a kit in stock, but I called a shop closer to home yesterday, and they didn't have one in stock, and said it doesn't look like they are shipping until April, so maybe this is indication of the RTR coming.

Last edited by 43YrOldRCFan; 02-27-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Don't know when the rtr will be out bit it's coming
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I think the G6 should be the only one that doesn't come RTR, but that's just me. The RECON lifestyle is all about building, customizing and wheeling. I don't think you'll find the build hard, it's all bolt together stuff.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Where's all this "rtr G6" talk coming from? As of two days ago there was no talks of a G6 rtr.And thats straight from a Axial employee themselves.I wish they would but it's just wishful thinking. The employee was asked by a distributor/dealer if they were coming out with it and when to expect it. They put them on hold and came back after a couple minutes.They said there's no talks as of now to release it as a rtr. So I guess they went and asked about it. But now if there's an article out there saying they are releasing it as a rtr I'd love to see it.So if someone has the article post up a link..
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Its not that difficult, half the fun is putting it together. When you ready for mods and upgrades (and you will if you stay on this forum for any time) you'll have a better understanding. I started with one and I'm now have 4 rigs hanging on the wall. Most of that has mods and upgrades learned off this site.

Last edited by DaJester; 02-27-2014 at 11:59 AM.
DaJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

As everyone else has said it is not hard to put together. I had never built a kit either but I knew I wanted to build my JKU from a kit. Even if you go the RTR route you will still have to invest in some tools at some point as you will more than likely have to replace parts and upgrade at some point and this way you will know how to all went together. Good luck with which ever way you go.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #11

I work for my LHS. I can say I have a line on the G6 RTR. I really am not allowed to say more than that. Be patient
Valance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valance View Post
I work for my LHS. I can say I have a line on the G6 RTR. I really am not allowed to say more than that. Be patient
LOL....I'm just trying to figure out how a LHS would know more about it then the employees of the company. Oh well...I guess Axial doesn't trust their employees as much as they do workers of a LHS.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

can't you just get a rtr honcho or jeep and change the body to a g6 if that's what your after?
wsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
LOL....I'm just trying to figure out how a LHS would know more about it then the employees of the company. Oh well...I guess Axial doesn't trust their employees as much as they do workers of a LHS.
They are probably keeping it quiet, as I guess I should of done. Oh well, April is right around the corner anyway.
Valance is offline   Reply With Quote

Building a kit for the first time - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to kit building jeep95 Axial SCX-10 13 11-04-2013 09:46 AM
1st time building kit wraith question chapter Axial Wraith 8 12-28-2011 12:21 PM
First Time Building A Kit!!! zjherna1 Axial SCX-10 10 05-16-2011 10:38 PM
Building AX10 for first time. roro72 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 12-26-2009 12:25 PM
building a 2.2 comp rig first time 4ruggy Newbie General 4 12-17-2008 08:06 AM