Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10-II - Winning is hard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: SCX10-II - Winning is hard.

Wow, that front clip looks awesome! I have the grille so far on my hilux body and love how it looks.

Do you happen to remember what sliders you chose for that body? Scalerfab doesn't list them as an option.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Stoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-required View Post
Awesome thanks!
Happy to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Man, the way you build trucks is on point. You have a great vision when it comes to these things, it's quite inspiring. Thanks for sharing these on the forums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I can't take too much credit for this, it's all off the shelf stuff from some great Vendors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Looks real nice. Can't wait for you to do a video edit of this Yota'
Cheers! You'll have to wait, I generally hate driving trucks in the snow, it never looks right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Very well done, sir. I'm very impressed with the wrap but guessing there was some (lie...more than some) skill involved in the install. Care to share any tips? Did you use any heat to get everything to conform without wrinkles? Any other little tips or tricks?
It's all about patience, heat, and a burnishing tool. I usually do a test fit, and heat it up after I've pressed it down with my fingers from the center to the edges. After that, I get out the heat gun to really firmly stick down the edges, and flatten out any creasing. Burnishing tool and a sharp #11 to get rid of any bubbles that may occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoph View Post
Wow, that front clip looks awesome! I have the grille so far on my hilux body and love how it looks.

Do you happen to remember what sliders you chose for that body? Scalerfab doesn't list them as an option.

Thanks, they're these sliders here, just add the kickout option:

LINKY

I've intentionally left these raw, so they'll rust over time to match the wrap.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Thanks, they're these sliders here, just add the kickout option:

LINKY

I've intentionally left these raw, so they'll rust over time to match the wrap.
Thanks for the info!! Look forward to seeing this one continue

Old 01-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Have you added any stick on weights to the wheels? And if so, did you trim the inner foams? Thanks.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoph View Post
Thanks for the info!! Look forward to seeing this one continue

Cheers! Thanks for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
Have you added any stick on weights to the wheels? And if so, did you trim the inner foams? Thanks.
I did not add any weight to the wheels, nor did I trim the foams. I like to see how things work without modifying first, so I can set a true benchmark of performance.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Some updates. My Vanquish parts arrived. Pretty amazing to see that there's very little difference between the prototypes and production axles. Save for the threaded inserts for the front axle and the lasered logo, they're essentially the same. Amazing machine work.

Here's a breakdown of the assembly for those that haven't done it yet.

I started by removing the stock locker and updating to the Vanquish part. I've yet to have a failure on the stock ones, but heck, for the low price these are offered at, why not? Blue Loctite should be used EVERYWHERE, except the diff covers, FYI, including these little screws holding the ring gear to the locker.

Put original pinion gear and original bearings back into housing.

Add the bearing holders to either side of the ring gear locker assembly and plop into place in the new housing. Screw this down and LOCTITE AGAIN. Do not overtighten.

I had a set of LockedUp RC rear shafts handy, so I've opted to replace the stock ones. They look strong.

Everything back together. Screw on the endcaps and remember the bearings beforehand. Did I mention Loctite?

Red Diff covers are back in style.

And installed back on the truck. Perfection! Vanquish includes all the hardware required for the rear to be put back in place.

For the front, the only differences are as follows:

Add the threaded collars before putting the shafts back in. Much easier to do beforehand.

This spacer is included. Also, check the steering knuckles. Lots of detail and effort went into making these, they're awesome, and realistic. Keep in mind Vanquish does not include the hardware for re-attaching them to the axle - keep those from your old plastic axles.

And here's the front reinstalled on the truck.

Very, very happy with the tolerances, machining, and looks of these new Curries. I knew they were going to be bulletproof, after all the abuse I gave the prototypes. Hats off to Vanquish!

One other thing, I've noticed that there's a lot of inherent flex built into the rear shock towers. My simple, parts bin solution is to take a short Axial link and screw it into the open holes. Reduces flex by 100%.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Looking great. I wish I could bring myself to buy a set of those Curries, they look awesome. Nice fix on the rear shock tower too - I haven't got around to it yet but was planning on doing this same thing. The Ascender has them and when I compared that chassis (that I sold) to the new SCX2 I was shocked at how flimsy the SCX2 was. The Ascender chassis is phenomenal, this little fix should close the gap though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

This shot... is money

XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #29

Really nice build, just ordered that same set of axle's and can't wait to get mine after seeing your's, can't wait to see your's done.
glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I have snapped around 7 sets of those little 2x8 bolts that hold the ring gear to the locker. If I would have used loctite, I would not have been able to extract the the bolt. It looks like the holes do not go through the vanquish locker, so would already be a pita to extract. Would suck to have to replace the locker if you snap those 3 little bolts.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
I have snapped around 7 sets of those little 2x8 bolts that hold the ring gear to the locker. If I would have used loctite, I would not have been able to extract the the bolt. It looks like the holes do not go through the vanquish locker, so would already be a pita to extract. Would suck to have to replace the locker if you snap those 3 little bolts.

12.9 grade hardware is your friend
Old 01-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Those didn't last either.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Dang.. you cranking the hell out of them when you tighten them or what?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Tried both tight and snug. Even downsized my motor, loosened my slipper and nearly turned my drag brake off.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

As usual you have given a very precise review of a wonderful product. And after seeing that red cover I'm either buying a set for my black curries or painting my black ones. Awesome build.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Really nice build, just ordered that same set of axle's and can't wait to get mine after seeing your's, can't wait to see your's done.
Thanks, yeah, they're pretty awesome. I was concerned the red might clash a little, but overall I'm pleased. Looks decent for a totally inaccurate Toyota!

Quote:

I've seen you mention this before in other threads. I'm not sure what you're doing, as I've never snapped a bolt in this setup. Either with the original locker, or the Vanquish one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
12.9 grade hardware is your friend
Quote:

Quote:
Dang.. you cranking the hell out of them when you tighten them or what?
Quote:
Tried both tight and snug. Even downsized my motor, loosened my slipper and nearly turned my drag brake off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckster View Post
As usual you have given a very precise review of a wonderful product. And after seeing that red cover I'm either buying a set for my black curries or painting my black ones. Awesome build.
Cheers! Glad to be of service.

Quote:
This shot... is money

You can say that again!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

do you by chance have a good shot at the winch line routing?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:

I am curious to know if you used loctite in any of the installations which failed. The instruction book does make a point of specifying the use of loctite on the screws that attach the ring gear to the locker. Perhaps its omission is a factor in the failures?
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I don't think I have. I am just going to replace with a one piece ring/spool. Didn't mean to derail, back to our sponsor!

Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

I would think the lack of loctite is to blame as it would allow the screws to move and potentially sheer. I've been running my first set of internals on 4s, 35t Torquemaster since July on a 9lbs. C1-2 rig. Including a full pull at a TTC.

Back to where we should be, I'm loving this build so far, and I don't even like Toyotas, obviously, lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10-II - Winning is hard. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winning! ittybitty South Carolina 6 11-14-2012 10:28 PM
Who's Winning THnCS Past RCCA qualifiers 50 07-21-2009 03:03 PM