Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: New build need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Default New build need help

Hey guy, im new to the forum and building RC models. I would like to build an Axial 1/10 SCX10 II kit version but im not sure with motor to pick or ESC and I dont want to run the rtr version in it. Can someone help me?
Hayden88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New build need help

I vote for a 35T brushed motor.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Start reading the electronics section and doing your own research, all the information you could ever need is there.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-01-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I would start with a 35t brushed motor and go from there. They are cheap so when you池e ready for something else you池e not out very much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #5

What would you think of this motor. Would this be a good option?
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNLK
Old 01-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden88 View Post
What would you think of this motor. Would this be a good option?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNLK

I think that would be a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawler505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

This
Yeah Racing Hackmoto V2 35T 540 Brushed Motor

And this
Hobbywing QUICRUN WP1080 Waterproof Rock Crawler Brushed ESC, (2-3S)
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Unless you like leaky shocks and plastic transmission gears, get the Vaterra Ascender instead; the $340 bind & drive version comes with everything except a radio, battery, and charger.

If you still want an Scx10 ii, you'll probably want to get everything in the pic below (be sure to grab a coupon from https://www.rpphobby.com/Articles.asp?ID=24 plus) plus a GT3C radio ($50 on eBay):
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
RCC Addict

A 35T motor works well with the kit version. The Tekin 35t is a great motor and should do well with a Hobbywing 1080 ESC. Holmes Hobbies also sells several motors in the same price range that will do great too.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:33 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I started with a 55T in my 10.2 kit build, my first build incidentally, because it was recommended by the store and in the instructions (well, it's the only spec mentioned).

Now I'm on a 35T because I need more wheelspeed for trail walking. The motor is easy enough to swap out and cheap as chips. So experiment based on what you intend to do.

The RTR version uses a different gearbox (the old 10.1 kit version I believe) so remember that when googling and generally reading stuff.

Build goes really well, a few well documented things to watch for but in truth as long as you don't force or wedge stuff together it goes really well.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #11

I'm using the Axial 55T motor with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC and 2200mAh 3S batteries. It's definitely fast enough to walk with on a trail and the battery lasts a good hour before I swap it out for the other one.

The nice thing about this setup is that the 55T has a TON of down-low grunt and the batteries I bought were super cheap https://www.amazon.com/Gens-ace-Batt...200mah+3s+lipo

I think a lot of people don't go this route because most of the cheaper brushed ESCs don't handle 3s lipos, but with the Hobbywing 1080 on the scene now I don't see how you can lose with this motor and a 3s pack.
bootbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The cheaper ($21) WP1060 also runs 3s lipo but has a weaker BEC and not as many features:

https://www.rpphobby.com/WishList.as...Cart&ID=485146

You can also find it for $16 shipped on eBay; search for: 1060 ESC
Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootbox View Post
I'm using the Axial 55T motor with the Hobbywing 1080 ESC and 2200mAh 3S batteries. It's definitely fast enough to walk with on a trail and the battery lasts a good hour before I swap it out for the other one.

The nice thing about this setup is that the 55T has a TON of down-low grunt and the batteries I bought were super cheap https://www.amazon.com/Gens-ace-Batt...200mah+3s+lipo

I think a lot of people don't go this route because most of the cheaper brushed ESCs don't handle 3s lipos, but with the Hobbywing 1080 on the scene now I don't see how you can lose with this motor and a 3s pack.
Great to hear, I'm new to 3s batteries. I borrowed one recently and wow what a difference. I had a 45t in and it definitely got it shifting.

When my new 3s's arrive I can see me putting the 55t back in as the first test.

With the 35t on 2s, I've had to modify the throttle curve on my tx because it's far too snappy compared with how it was with the 55t.

It's a great hobby for tinkering and experimenting.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #14

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
I’m still stuck on if I should go brushless, I’m not looking for the cheapest parts as long as I stay in budget under 850. I’m not even sure if brushless is the way to go, on the forum most people run brushed motors and when I check YouTube poeple say brushless is the way to go. Still stuck on what to get, I’m not in a rush to buy but I’m itching to go out and have fun.
I’m going to be running 3s batteries becaus I own a yeti XL and it’s what I currently own.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Most peeps here swear by Holmes brushed motors, but if you do go brushless, make sure it's sensored or you'll have cogging problems at low crawling speeds.

Update: here's a thread worth looking at:

More power needed!

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 01-03-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden88 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
I知 still stuck on if I should go brushless, I知 not looking for the cheapest parts as long as I stay in budget under 850. I知 not even sure if brushless is the way to go, on the forum most people run brushed motors and when I check YouTube poeple say brushless is the way to go. Still stuck on what to get, I知 not in a rush to buy but I知 itching to go out and have fun.
I知 going to be running 3s batteries becaus I own a yeti XL and it痴 what I currently own.
Is $850 your budget including a radio/Rx and steering servo? Assuming the kit cost you $350, you can get a castle crawler combo for $200 (before a coupon code). That still leaves you $300 for a radio and steering servo. I run that exaxt motor and ESC in my kit SCX10.2, and I think its pretty much perfect. I doubt I will ever change it to something else.

If you can afford brushless now, do it. Even if you have to go a little cheap on your steering servo and upgrade later its worth it. The motor/ESC is most expensive thing aside from the kit, so its worth spending the money upfront and not having the nagging "I should have bought...." feeling.

That's my advice. For certain parts of a build "buy once, cry once" if at all possible.
pman9003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Make sure that whatever electronics you get are waterproof. It's the nature of the beast to find itself wet through if you live anywhere with regular weather.

Decent brushed motors ( ie popular brands) seem fine to soak, believe it or not, and your Hobbywing 1060/1080 level esc is going to be waterproof.

Brushless setups need more care when choosing, but make that choice important. Don't take it for granted that a brushless combo is also waterproof.

To that end I would also recommend a set of wheel arches, not only do they stop that see-through look, they also massively cut down on detritus getting on the chassis where all that expensive electronics will reside.

My mate and I have been out several times in the mud and he doesn't have arches. His chassis and shell get caked every time. Plus, since you spray the shell yourself, the paint won't be as durable as a factory finish but you will have to wash it frequently without arches.

Even the spread of sand and dust is worth minimising I'd say, should you live in dry climes.

Last edited by Canonman; 01-03-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Tekin are awesome,but if your on a budget,don't hesitate,go for quicrun 1080 brushed crawler combo
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #19

IMO I wouldn't spend extra for brushless in a casual crawler build. You can get a 35t brushed motor and decent ESC for $40 or less. Good balance of scale speed and torque. Runs for a long time on one battery charge. Works great on 2 cell LIPO. Throw a 3-cell lipo to get more wheel spin.
ScottDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Agreed.No need for a brushless setup in a simple crawler/trail truck.Just get the 1080 esc,35t motor and 3s batteries.
Save the costs for other upgrades such as shocks,beadlocks and tires.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote

New build need help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM